Thea Lights never show up

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Thea Lights never show up

Postby studioe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:45 pm

Hello,

I have ha a recurring issue with thea lights.
When using the Thea tool to place point lights, they do not light when placed. I have even bumped the output to 2000 watts thinking that they must be brighter when the sun is on in the rendering also.

So, I turned the sun off to see if I could get them to light....nothing. Even when I go inside the glass light fixture I made to house the light, nothing. (see images)

Thoughts?

studioe 

Re: Thea Lights never show up

Postby Frederik » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 pm

You're obviously doing something wrong, but without the scene or a part of it showing the issue, it's impossible to say what's going on....
It can be wrong scale
It can be an incorrect material setup
It can be a front/back face issue
It can be incorrect light setup
It can be a combination of the above
It can be something I haven't mentioned in the list

I will make a test scene and upload it here...
I'm sure you can take some learnings from it... :)
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby studioe » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Something I've screwed up for sure. However, what's frustrating is that Thea allows pretty amazing results with very little tinkering for exterior shots. But I have never gotten interior lights to work along with exterior lighting. Wrong rendering engine?

I guess what would be helpful for the user like myself who doesn't have budget to spend multiple days perfecting the settings, is to have some simple guidelines. For instance there are 5 rendering Engines. When would I select Unbiased (TR1) over IR Presto Engine?

studioe 

Postby Frederik » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Here's the test scene and a quick 3 minute render...
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby Frederik » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:06 pm

studioe wrote:Wrong rendering engine?

Hardly... More likely lack of experience...

studioe wrote:I guess what would be helpful for the user like myself who doesn't have budget to spend multiple days perfecting the settings, is to have some simple guidelines.

First off...
There's no need to spend days perfecting the settings...
Usually one or two engines will be enough.

If your computer have a powerful graphic card installed (GPU) then you will most likely prefer one of the Presto engines...
Just until the day, where your GPU doesn't have enough RAM and you'll need to run another engine...

Then it's also about the model/scene you're going to render...
Is it an outdoor scene with a swimming pool, then you'll need something like TR1 or TR2 to get perfect caustics in the pool water...

This will be a very long post if I need to go through everything...
I suggest that you start watching some of the video tutorials that are available...

Please don't get me wrong, but it's like the saying goes...
Just because you purchase a good SLR camera, won't make you a professional photographer in a couple of days...

If you don't have much experience with render applications in general, you'll need to spend time making test and study the render terminology...

A powerful application like Thea Render will definitely require that you spend time to become a skilled artist...
You have the tool, now you need to learn how to use it... :)
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby Pixero » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 am

My guess is that you should look at your camera settings.
Pixero 

Postby studioe » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 pm

Not expecting to be an expert right off the bat...just figured the generic lights provided with Thea would actually turn on when I hit render. Clearly I've made an error, but where?

I'l attached my 5 minute lighting creation. Maybe someone can tell what I'm doing wrong. I've tried several glass materials, including basic sketchup transparent materials and Thea glasses.

studioe 

Postby NigeC » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:43 am

turn off the sun/sky and you will see you just need to play with the fnumber/iso settings, an interior is usually Iso 400 to 500 that's a ball park figure.. it should render similar across all engine, the actual glass, I'd look at the lighting tutorial as there is some tricks to achieve nice effect without hellish render times

Along with Fredrik's tuts there is also Thea related ones here the last couple will be of interest
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea