SCF Pre-registration for 3D baseCamp

Re: SCF Pre-registration for 3D baseCamp

Postby iichiversii » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:42 am

I promised myself I would go to this one, but its not happening for me unfortunately, so jealous right now :cry:
Bring on the Rain...
iichiversii 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby cwmunro » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:51 am

Gaieus wrote:I also offered it to my wife (not as if I had the money...) but then she said "not without the dog" - which would mean a whole day journey for the poor dog in a cage...

My wife is also coming along and I guarantee she'll wanna bring our dog as well. I guess I'll have to book a hotel/motel that allows pets. Should make for an interesting 16 hour drive.
C W Munro
Professional Building Designer
http://www.thealaddincompany.com
cwmunro 

Postby dale » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:57 am

My wife is coming again. We are doing a new route driving so about 22 hrs. It's a nice little getaway for her as well. Boulder is a sweet town.
She'll be joining me at Baker Street again also.
Baker Street is on isn't it?
Just monkeying around....like Monsanto
dale 
Top SketchUcator

Postby utiler » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:47 am

iichiversii wrote:I promised myself I would go to this one, but its not happening for me unfortunately, so jealous right now :cry:

I know the feeling, Damien. :(
purpose/expression/purpose/....
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Lodging option many may not think of

Postby DavidBoulder » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:05 pm

Chatauqua has cabins. Looks like 3 bedroom with 5 beds start at $200. Split that 6 ways and it is pretty good. And you are at the start to some of th most scenic trails in Boulder. The down side, no good bus service so car would be needed.
http://www.chautauqua.com/lodging.php?c ... =3+bedroom
--

David Goldwasser
OpenStudio Developer
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
DavidBoulder 

Postby Jimmymino » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 pm

I just booked a single at the Boulder University Inn. for about $70/night. Its walking distance (5 blocks) to the event venues. Just thought Id throw it out there.
Jimmy Miño
Owner
the archiTECHtural workshop
www.thearchitechturalworkshop.com

Jimmymino 

Postby Mike Lucey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:16 pm

dale wrote:My wife is coming again. We are doing a new route driving so about 22 hrs. It's a nice little getaway for her as well. Boulder is a sweet town.
She'll be joining me at Baker Street again also.
Baker Street is on isn't it?

Yeah, there will be much productive time spent at Baker Street as per usual :idea:
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby Sonder » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:13 pm

Is this Baker Street place within crawling distance?

Sonder 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby solo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:43 pm

Sonder wrote:Is this Baker Street place within crawling distance?

To the Golden Buff it is...I crawled last time, hence we are booking that hotel, it's where the party is gonna be.
http://www.solos-art.com

I'm better with polys than words
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby Gaieus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:17 pm

solo wrote:...I crawled last time...

Who did not? (Maybe not everyone remembers though...) :roll:
Gaieus 

Postby utiler » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:12 am

Gee I am Jello.....!!!!!!!
purpose/expression/purpose/....
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Bob James » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:48 am

HELP
I put in the promo code and the price changed to $150, but nothing else happened to allow me to pay and pre-register. The deadline of 1000 am MDT hasn't passed. :shock:
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Chris Fullmer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:11 am

I think you missed it Bob. It opened the 21st at 10:00am MDT for 36 hours. And they only had spots for a few dozen people during that time. I think time ran out and they ran out of slots. There will be another round starting the 28th.
Lately you've been tan, suspicious for the winter.
All my Plugins I've written
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby sepo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:42 am

Are the invites in or not. I preregistered but have not heard anything yet?

sepo 

Postby liam887 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:40 pm

sepo wrote:Are the invites in or not. I preregistered but have not heard anything yet?

Once you register and pay you receive an email with conformation of payment and a note 'have a good trip see you in Boulder' or something along those lines. I took that as the 'invite'?
VISIT MY ONLINE GALLERY
http://www.robotsvdinosaurs.com/

liam887 

Postby tolmandesign » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:59 pm

missed it :cry:

tolmandesign 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bob James » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Saved at the last minute. I'm now registered :berserk:

He who procrastinates almost missed Basecamp 8-)
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Gaieus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:01 pm

:thumb:
Gaieus 

Postby beginner » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi Guys,
I've got it... ;)
Now, I'm waiting for my new passport - I hope I would get it on time.
Regards, SU 'beginner'
beginner 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby liam887 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:52 pm

beginner wrote:Hi Guys,
I've got it... ;)
Now, I'm waiting for my new passport - I hope I would get it on time.

If your in the UK you can get a 3 day passport, I have had to get it a few times.
VISIT MY ONLINE GALLERY

liam887 

Postby beginner » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi Liam,
It is my 1st British passport - 6 weeks waiting time...
Regards, SU 'beginner'
beginner 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby liam887 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:15 pm

beginner wrote:Hi Liam,
It is my 1st British passport - 6 weeks waiting time...

Ahh ok, when are you flying out, we might cross paths?
VISIT MY ONLINE GALLERY

liam887 

Postby TIG » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:40 pm

Beginner... and other UK attendees...
TIP:
Once you get your UK passport sorted you will need to get an ESTA from the US Customs and Border Protection Agency [a 'visa-waiver'] - that's if you don't already have a current one [or a current full-visa].
The ESTA costs ~$14 and is available on-line from https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ [please avoid other 'scam' sites...], print it off once it's approved, as you'll need those details at immigration etc...
The site asks some questions that when answered 'Yes' will siphon you off down a path where you'll have to pay to go to the US Embassy in London, queue up, pay more, swear an oath, perhaps be subject to a medical after 24 hours wait [all at your expense], re-attend, perhaps get humiliated and rejected etc or get a 'visa': so be sure that you believe that you really MUST answer 'Yes' before clicking the button... often hapless UK citizens find themselves being 'too honest' and actually fess up to 'crimes' that are 'exempt' from the forbidden list...
The cruncher [odd] question is along the lines of 'have you ever been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude?'...
Note that the US Embassy web-site has a 'need a visa questionnaire' with a, 'have you ever been convicted of a crime?'... which is NOT the correct question that's required by the 'US Immigration' ! but it makes the USE extra $$$ from unsuspecting 'honest' applicants who then apply and pay extra.
For example some relatively minor UK 'criminal convictions' add an endorsement to your driving license... but is one of these relevant?
A 'crime involving moral turpitude' has a complex definition in US law.
You must do some www research to satisfy yourself of your relative 'innocence', and thereby be sure that you can truthfully answer 'No'...
There are US-State-Dept approved detailed lists of what 'crimes' do and don't involve 'moral turpitude'.
So for example if you have a [minor] 'conviction' for one instance of drunkenness or perhaps a minor-assault [or even a firearm-offense (you have to love those Yanks!)], it appears to be that 'No' will suffice; BUT if you have been convicted more than once for any one of these offenses... or worse, you have a 'proper' criminal record [murderer/vice-ring-boss/drug-dealer/terrorist/bank-robber/merchant-banker!/or-a-combo-of these/etc] the answer is 'Yes' and then you will need to go to London and convince a somewhat minor-official in the US Embassy that you are still a suitable person to be let into the US... and this can take weeks, if not months before you get a decision... so better start now it you have any doubts at all :o
Remember that the US Immigration Service have no access to your UK 'criminal records', unless it involves criminal activities in the US [or Canada], or you have some US or Interpol warrants out on you [hence the fingerprint checks etc on entry] - therefore known 'proper' local-criminals reprehensibly fib on their ESTA applications and get their family holiday in Disney Land... so be sure you can't really get an ESTA 'legally', before you go down the rocky road to perdition in Grosvenor Place... ;)
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Gaieus » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:48 pm

I still travel with a visa although since I got it, we also have the visa waiver. I had to go to the US Embassy in Budapest and answer all sorts of questions but when I flashed an invite letter from Google (thanks John), they said no more questions and I was ready in about 5 minutes. :)

So, for another 6 years I travel a bit "safer" (if you go with ESTA, you will have to approve a condition that upon rejecting your entry to the US, you may not appeal to the immigration office but must leave the country while I can with my visa).

Of course, the odds of being rejected once they approved you in the system are minimal.
Gaieus 

Postby TIG » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:57 pm

BUT in the UK getting a US visa takes ages...
You'll need to first get the UK passport, then you need to go to London [£100+++ to travel and stay] etc and then after the interview on oath you need to wait weeks, if not months before it's approved/rejected!
So if you are strapped for time and can honestly apply for your ESTA, get one - the other way with a full visa might be time-barred...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Gaieus » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:04 am

Yes, I know (although it arrived within a month when I got it). When I first went to BaseCamp in 2008, we had to carry a visa (it was waived half year later). So I do have it and it's more convenient now.

And don't forget: "...to be really safe, you should always carry a bomb on a plane. Because the chances of there being one bomb on a plane are pretty small. But the chances of two bombs are almost minuscule. So by carrying a bomb on a plane, the odds of yours becoming a hostage or being blown up are astronomically reduced." :roll:

(All right, this was Laurie Anderson "New Jersey Turnpike" on "United States Live" 1984)
Gaieus 

Postby beginner » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:14 am

Hi Guys,

I was planning to fly on the 13th (16:05 LHR – 18:45 DEN - Direct) and return on 18th (20:45 DEN – 12:35 LHR - Direct) - £689 Return with BA.
TIG - thank you for the inside knowledge :D

Now, I try to assess the overall cost.
The next is accommodation - I have seen some leads on the forum.

I would appreciate if you could share some UK info on pricing, dates, accommodation etc.

Regards
Regards, SU 'beginner'
beginner 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TIG » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:16 am

Someone [perhaps Billy Connelly?] suggested that you shouldn't be allowed to fly on a plane UNLESS you were carrying a loaded gun...
Then when the terrorists tried anything dozens of law-abiding citizens could stand up, draw/cock their weapons and say 'sit down and shut the f*k up!'...
Although a few holes in high altitude jets from innocent accidental-discharges could re-compensate for the reduced terrorism-based death-toll - after all 'there's no such thing as a free lunch'... :roll:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Rich O Brien » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 am

Mental note to self....

Don't sit with either of you two on 10 hour flight. That last thing I need is to be between a terrorist and a criminal in denial :roll:
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Gaieus » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:21 am

beginner wrote:I was planning to fly on the 13th (16:05 LHR – 18:45 DEN - Direct)

That's it. It seems like a charter flight for BaseCamp participants! :)

@TIG: maybe we should just delete these lines. At the end, none of us will be let into the US! :o
(I made sure to close this subforum from lurkers though ;) )
Gaieus 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to BaseCamp 2012