In Beta version 1.2d, all three modules Loft By Spline, Loft Along Path and Skinning should be functional. I still need to complete many features.
Curviloft is a script dedicated to Loft and Skinning, that is, generation of surfaces from contours.
- Loft by Spline joins separate contours, open or closed, by smooth splines
- Loft along Path joins contours, along a given rail curve.
- Skinning create surfaces bounded by 4 or 3 contiguous contours
Because there are many solutions to calculate Loft and Skinning geometries, the script offers various options to adjust parameters depending on the configuration of contours.
Curviloft 1.2d – 13 Apr 12
IMPORTANT: Requires to download LibFredo6 4.2 or higher if not already installed.
No user manual written yet
- Sketchup versions: SU6, SU7, SU8
- Platforms: Windows and Mac
- Language: English, Spanish (To all kind translators: please do no start translation yet)
- Menus: by default, it is installed in Tools > Fredo6 Collection > Curviloft
- Icon toolbar: by Default ‘Curviloft’. Three icons are available, but you can configure which ones to display (menu Default Parameters…)
- The plugin is free, for private and commercial usage. There is a donation menu however.
1) Download and Open the archive
2) Select All (Ctrl A)
3) Extract into the Sketchup Plugin Directory
4) Answer Yes to overwrite former existing files if any
The footprint in the SU Plugin Directory must be:
C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Plugins
Note: there is no need for the file ZLoader__Curviloft.rb with LibFredo6 4.2
On Mac the SU plugin directory should be:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 7/SketchUp/plugins
CAUTION: NEVER rename or move files from their folders. If you are unsure of your unzip operation, do it in a neutral folder and check that you reconstruct the right footprint. Then transfer the folders and files to the SU Plugin Directory.
CONFLICT With Sunposition.rb: there is a conflict with a plugin called sunposition.rb, by Gabriel Miller at Cerebral Meltdown. If installed, it will cause a crash of Sketchup when going to Preview mode in Curviloft. (more details on solving the conflict)
Tutorial on Loft by Spline
Loft Along Path
There is also an impressive tutorial made by Charly2008, showing how to draw golden rings, crowns and all sort of twisted objects.
LOFT by SPLINE
- Pre-Selection mode (automatic ordering): Select one or several contours (faces, edges) and Click on the icon
- Manual Selection (user-specified ordering): Click on the icon and then pick contours in order. Click in empty space to separate contours when contiguous. Then click again in the empty space when done with the selection
- In preview mode, you can adjust parameters via the main button palette (global setting) or the floating palette (individually by section). You can also modify vertex matching by selecting a vertex and dragging it to a new position.
- Click in the empty space to validate and generate the shape geometry.
- You can go back to Preview mode via the roll-back button
- It is a good idea to check the tooltips and contextual menu to see available options
LOFT along PATH
- Select the path and click in the empty space (it should be highlighted in thick red)
- Select the other contour(s) that should follow the path (currently it works with 1 or 2 contours)
- Click in the empty space (or Return) to move to the Preview mode
- you have three methods for generating the shape: Stretch (default), Offset and Sweep. See video for illustration.
Offset and Sweep ensure a correct thickness of the shape and therefore are more adapted to models with closed contours and winding path. Stretch is based on deformation of the path curve by moving extremities.
- Select the contours one by one (click in the empty space between two contours). Then click again in the mepty space to generate the preview shape. All cells should have 3 or 4 bordering contours.
- Pre-selection mode works as well, but may not be able to handle ambiguous cases. Also, it is always a good idea to draw small open segments at the vertex which you want to use to separate contours.
- you can play with the Interpolation and rail over-sampling to add / remove divisions in the mesh
Curviloft 1.2d – 13 Apr 12: Small update about diagonals to better guide the mesh construction in Thomthom's QuadFaceTools and ThruPaint. In all generation modes, diagonals in the mesh are now generated with property Casts Shadow = false, which is the convention for diagonals (invented by Thomthom). In version 1.2c, this was the case only if the Pseudo-quad option was selected.
Curviloft 1.2c – 15 Nov 11: Slight change for the generation of Quads, to align with new definitions used by Thomthom's QuadFaceTools - Border: Soft + Smooth (+ Cast Shadows)
- Diagonal: Soft + Smooth + NO Cast Shadows
Curviloft 1.2b – 26 Sep 11: Include more options in the Default Parameters Dialog box for generating pseudo-quads. By default, pseudo-quads are now generated with:
- Border: Soft + Smooth
- Diagonal: Soft + Smooth + Hidden
See Release Notes for detail
Curviloft 1.2a – 21 Sep 11: Include the generation of Pseudo-quads allowing the usage of the new QuafFaceTools by Thomthom. Also, it avoids generation of empty group if there is a problem.
See Release Notes for details on pseudo-quads generation.
Curviloft 1.1c – 29 Jun 11: Fix to a bug concerning mean internmediate curves when the contour are closed loops. Thanks to Defisto for signaling this issue
Curviloft 1.1b – 27 Jun 11: small upgrade to help generating mean curves between contours. This is done by an additional options for geometry, so that you can just draw Junction lines, intermediate lines or both (i.e. mesh) without the faces.
See this post for discussion about the feature.
Curviloft 1.1a – 12 Jan 11: Fourth beta version, dedicated to Loft Along Path. Main evolutions are:
- Some fixes in Loft by Spline and Skinning.
- Loft Along Path should be functional and handle 1, 2 or more contours with 3 methods: Stretch, Offset and Sweep
- Two-phase loading of the script
- VCB is not active
- No interactive edition in the floating palette
- B-Spline and F-Spline do not close nicely in loop mode
- No later reedition of shape generated (this will come)
- all texts and labels are not reviewed yet
Curviloft 1.0c – LibFredo6 3.5c – 20 Aug 10: Third beta version, dedicated to fix bugs in Loft by Spline and Skinning. Loft Along Path is still not fully functional.
Curviloft 1.0b – LibFredo6 3.5b – 11 Jul 10: Second beta version.
Curviloft 1.0a – LibFredo6 3.5a – 13 Jun 10: First beta version.