[Plugin Beta] Curviloft 1.4a - 19 Oct 14 (Loft & Skinning)

[Plugin Beta] Curviloft 1.4a - 19 Oct 14 (Loft & Skinning)

Postby fredo6 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:00 am

IMPORTANT: Curviloft plugin is still released in BETA and has no documentation yet. Please be aware of potential crashes and therefore always save your work before launching it.
In Beta version 1.4a, all three modules Loft By Spline, Loft Along Path and Skinning should be functional. I still need to complete many features.

Curviloft is a script dedicated to Loft and Skinning, that is, generation of surfaces from contours.
  • Loft by Spline joins separate contours, open or closed, by smooth splines
  • Loft along Path joins contours, along a given rail curve.
  • Skinning create surfaces bounded by 4 or 3 contiguous contours
Curviloft examples.png

Because there are many solutions to calculate Loft and Skinning geometries, the script offers various options to adjust parameters depending on the configuration of contours.

No user manual written yet
  • Sketchup versions: SU6, SU7, SU8, SU13
  • Platforms: Windows and Mac
  • Language: English, Spanish (To all kind translators: please do no start translation yet)
  • Menus: by default, it is installed in Tools > Fredo6 Collection > Curviloft
  • Icon toolbar: by Default ‘Curviloft’. Three icons are available, but you can configure which ones to display (menu Default Parameters…)
  • The plugin is free, for private and commercial usage. There is a donation menu however.

There are now multiple ways to install scripts
- SCF Plugin Store (SU8 and SU13) - recommended method
- Unzip (all SU versions and for installations in an alternate Plugins directory)
- Extension Manager with RBZ files (SU8 and SU13)

Whatever way you install, you must end up with the following footprint:
Fredo6_Curviloft - Footprint.png

The standard SU Plugins root directories are:
Windows SU8: C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 8\Plugins
Windows SU13: C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2013/Plugins
Windows SU14: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2014\SketchUp\Plugins

Mac SU8: Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 8/SketchUp/Plugins
Mac SU13: ~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2013/SketchUp/Plugins
Mac SU14: ~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins

CAUTION: NEVER rename or move files from their folders. If you are unsure of your unzip operation, do it in a neutral folder and check that you reconstruct the right footprint. Then transfer the folders and files to the SU Plugin Directory.

If you run SU8, SU13 or SU14, the strongly recommended installation method is to Autoinstall with the SCF Plugin Store tool.

Otherwise, you can download the Curviloft rbz file from the Plugin Store page for Curviloft.

IMPORTANT: Requires to download LibFredo6 6.3 or higher if not already installed

Note for SU6 and SU7 users, download the rbz file from the plugin store page, and change its extension from .rbz to .zip
Then:
1) Open the zip archive
2) Select All (Ctrl A)
3) Extract into the Sketchup Plugin Directory
4) Answer YES to OVERWRITE all existing files if any
5) Make sure you get the correct footprint (one rb file and one folder)

CONFLICTING PLUGINS: some plugins conflicts with some of my scripts
  • Some versions of Podium
  • Some versions of Vray
  • SunPosition
  • Matchbox

Overview

Tutorial on Loft by Spline

Loft Along Path

There is also an impressive tutorial made by Charly2008, showing how to draw golden rings, crowns and all sort of twisted objects.
see http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=18%26amp;t=29374#p256385
Curviloft by Charly2008.png

LOFT by SPLINE
  • Pre-Selection mode (automatic ordering): Select one or several contours (faces, edges) and Click on the icon
  • Manual Selection (user-specified ordering): Click on the icon and then pick contours in order. Click in empty space to separate contours when contiguous. Then click again in the empty space when done with the selection
  • In preview mode, you can adjust parameters via the main button palette (global setting) or the floating palette (individually by section). You can also modify vertex matching by selecting a vertex and dragging it to a new position.
  • Click in the empty space to validate and generate the shape geometry.
  • You can go back to Preview mode via the roll-back button
  • It is a good idea to check the tooltips and contextual menu to see available options

LOFT along PATH
  • Select the path and click in the empty space (it should be highlighted in thick red)
  • Select the other contour(s) that should follow the path (currently it works with 1 or 2 contours)
  • Click in the empty space (or Return) to move to the Preview mode
  • you have three methods for generating the shape: Stretch (default), Offset and Sweep. See video for illustration.
    Offset and Sweep ensure a correct thickness of the shape and therefore are more adapted to models with closed contours and winding path. Stretch is based on deformation of the path curve by moving extremities.

SKINNING
  • Select the contours one by one (click in the empty space between two contours). Then click again in the mepty space to generate the preview shape. All cells should have 3 or 4 bordering contours.
  • Pre-selection mode works as well, but may not be able to handle ambiguous cases. Also, it is always a good idea to draw small open segments at the vertex which you want to use to separate contours.
  • you can play with the Interpolation and rail over-sampling to add / remove divisions in the mesh

Curviloft 1.4a – 19 Oct 14: Release for support of username containing non-ascii characters
Here is the start post for this release

Curviloft 1.3a – 27 Nov 13: Release for future Sketchup Compatibility

Curviloft 1.2d – 13 Apr 12: Small update about diagonals to better guide the mesh construction in Thomthom's QuadFaceTools and ThruPaint. In all generation modes, diagonals in the mesh are now generated with property Casts Shadow = false, which is the convention for diagonals (invented by Thomthom). In version 1.2c, this was the case only if the Pseudo-quad option was selected.

Curviloft 1.2c – 15 Nov 11: Slight change for the generation of Quads, to align with new definitions used by Thomthom's QuadFaceTools - Border: Soft + Smooth (+ Cast Shadows)
- Diagonal: Soft + Smooth + NO Cast Shadows

Curviloft 1.2b – 26 Sep 11: Include more options in the Default Parameters Dialog box for generating pseudo-quads. By default, pseudo-quads are now generated with:
- Border: Soft + Smooth
- Diagonal: Soft + Smooth + Hidden
See Release Notes for detail

Curviloft 1.2a – 21 Sep 11: Include the generation of Pseudo-quads allowing the usage of the new QuafFaceTools by Thomthom. Also, it avoids generation of empty group if there is a problem.
See Release Notes for details on pseudo-quads generation.

Curviloft 1.1c – 29 Jun 11: Fix to a bug concerning mean internmediate curves when the contour are closed loops. Thanks to Defisto for signaling this issue

Curviloft 1.1b – 27 Jun 11: small upgrade to help generating mean curves between contours. This is done by an additional options for geometry, so that you can just draw Junction lines, intermediate lines or both (i.e. mesh) without the faces.
See this post for discussion about the feature.

Curviloft 1.1a – 12 Jan 11: Fourth beta version, dedicated to Loft Along Path. Main evolutions are:
  • Some fixes in Loft by Spline and Skinning.
  • Loft Along Path should be functional and handle 1, 2 or more contours with 3 methods: Stretch, Offset and Sweep
  • Two-phase loading of the script
On top of potential bugs and geometry issues (including bugsplats), there are still some limitations and unfinished work:
  • VCB is not active
  • No interactive edition in the floating palette
  • B-Spline and F-Spline do not close nicely in loop mode
  • No later reedition of shape generated (this will come)
  • all texts and labels are not reviewed yet

Curviloft 1.0c – LibFredo6 3.5c – 20 Aug 10: Third beta version, dedicated to fix bugs in Loft by Spline and Skinning. Loft Along Path is still not fully functional.

Curviloft 1.0b – LibFredo6 3.5b – 11 Jul 10: Second beta version.

Curviloft 1.0a – LibFredo6 3.5a – 13 Jun 10: First beta version.
Last edited by fredo6 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 56 times in total.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [Plugin Preview] Curviloft 1.0 (Loft and Skinning)

Postby Rich O Brien » Thu May 27, 2010 12:06 am

Hi Fredo,

Great to hear it's getting close to release! The video is amazing :shock:

Will post back with examples for testing

Thanks for sharing

Rich
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Daniel S » Thu May 27, 2010 12:18 am

:sketchstatic: :sketchstatic: :sketchstatic:
Fredo!!!
you are a genius!!!

I don´t know if something like this one will work...
but here I attach a panton chair.

I have to see this video again and again :bounce: :bounce:

Daniel S

Daniel S 

Postby fredo6 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:39 am

Daniel S wrote:I don´t know if something like this one will work...
but here I attach a panton chair.

Daniel S

Daniel,

I had to put some splitter (i.e. line) to get contours with 4 parts.
Here is the file and a short video.
Panton chair.gif

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Daniel S » Thu May 27, 2010 12:55 am

Looks like it is the most powerful plugin ever made. :sketchstatic: :sketchstatic: :sketchstatic:

Daniel S

Daniel S 

Postby utiler » Thu May 27, 2010 1:04 am

I feel like a kid at christmas time who knows what he's getting but can't open his present yet!!!!

You never seem to amaze, Fredo!
purpose/expression/purpose/....
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby JClements » Thu May 27, 2010 3:33 am

WOW! Way to go!

Any chance, once a skin is made, that could be some axial controls that could be dragged to do stretching such that the skin would react like what is done in Soapskin and Bubbles where the forming edges are anchored and the skin stretches relative to the forming edges? Perhaps have a tightness parameter to control how close the skin conforms to a path or to the defining edges? Could the path be altered interactively to reshape the skin?

Tapering. Really would like to create Reduced Elbows for Piping or Ducting systems. Draw a "welded" curve for a path, place circle or "donut" tangential at each end of the path with specific radii/diameter and then form the skin of pipe (inner diameter as well as outer diameter too?). Have a means to minimize the amount a faces formed. Transitions of the ribbing of pipe would be linear versus what looks like an averaging method used in your video for "freeform" skins. It would be fantastic if the end diameters were parametric so user could change their values.

John
Last edited by JClements on Thu May 27, 2010 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Illustrator
Beaverton, Oregon
JClements 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby EscapeArtist » Thu May 27, 2010 3:38 am

Looks fantastic, really looking forward to seeing the finished product in operation.
EscapeArtist 
Top SketchUcator

Postby EarthMover » Thu May 27, 2010 3:51 am

Holy crap!!! Is that speed realtime? Looks amazing! Do the number of segments in the rails matter? Could this possibly be used to replace the standard from contours in the sandbox tools to create graded terrains?
A designer is an emerging synthesis of artist, inventor, mechanic, objective economist and evolutionary strategist. - R. Buckminster Fuller
Some of my 3D crap
EarthMover 
Top SketchUcator

Postby xrok1 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:18 am

WOW! i love how you ruby greats are dragging SU kicking and screaming into the realm of a "real" 3d modeling program! :ecstatic:
screw you google. if you won't give us proper tools someone will. :twisted:
thanks Fredo, and everyone; TIG, ThomThom, Chris, Jim, Dedier, Whaat... just to name a few. you guys ARE the real SU team. all we really need from google is poly support. you guys cover the rest.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

xrok1 

Postby vidy » Thu May 27, 2010 7:19 am

BRAVO FREDO :bounce:
still so much to learn..

vidy 

Postby Panga » Thu May 27, 2010 7:46 am

Really big thanks for investing so much time to give us so niceeeee plugins !! I'll try to post a file to test it on terrain modelling, which is my main occupation in SU.

Panga 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby thomthom » Thu May 27, 2010 7:47 am

Looking very nice. Can one edit the control splines afterwards?

1:24 - Float Pal window: is that done using view.draw* method?
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Pilou » Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 am

The Fredo return! :fro:
What a teaser! :ugeek:

What about make a thickness to a surface?
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
Pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby fredo6 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:26 am

Pilou wrote:The Fredo return! :fro:
What a teaser! :ugeek:

What about make a thickness to a surface?

I guess this is a job for JPP. Curviloft only generates the thin surface.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Pilou » Thu May 27, 2010 8:40 am

I guess this is a job for JPP. Curviloft only generates the thin surface.

JPP : the "Jean Pierre Papin des surfaces" ;)
( a famous French footballer ;)

Last edited by Pilou on Thu May 27, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
Pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby fredo6 » Thu May 27, 2010 8:43 am

thomthom wrote:Looking very nice. Can one edit the control splines afterwards?

1:24 - Float Pal window: is that done using view.draw* method?

Tom,

Yes the button palettes are all based on view.draw methods. And for Curviloft, I had to introduce the concept of a floating palette to allow edition of each of the individual sections, as shown on this small video:
Float palette.gif

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby TIG » Thu May 27, 2010 9:12 am

Fredo

As ever, a "tour de force".
Can't wait to try your new tools...
Very impressive interface and speed.
:bounce:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby CadFather » Thu May 27, 2010 9:57 am

sugar.. everytime Fredo starts these things, it's like another copernican revolution! :lol:
Quarr-IT - SketchUp Training from the Master.. http://quarr-it.com/
CadFather 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby thomthom » Thu May 27, 2010 10:00 am

Fredo6 wrote:And for Curviloft, I had to introduce the concept of a floating palette to allow edition of each of the individual sections, as shown on this small video:
Float palette.gif

Is that adjustments one makes before you end the tool? Or can you take a shape you created earlier and readjust it? On other words, is it parametric?
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby fredo6 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:30 am

thomthom wrote:
Fredo6 wrote:And for Curviloft, I had to introduce the concept of a floating palette to allow edition of each of the individual sections, as shown on this small video:
Float palette.gif

Is that adjustments one makes before you end the tool? Or can you take a shape you created earlier and readjust it? On other words, is it parametric?

It's difficult to make things parametric in Sketchup, because all you have at the end is faces and edges.
My plan to help a little bit would be to attach some information to the Component created so that you can reedit later on.
also, and already working is the possibility to generate the juctions as curves so that when you move the profiles, then the shape deforms accordingly (something that is shown in Kirill's scripts).

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby thomthom » Thu May 27, 2010 11:34 am

Yea - it was something like that I was wondering if it would do. Very promising!

Once I get Vertex Edit out of the way I want to make Bezier Path modelling tools. The control points stored as attributes for later edit-ability. Of course, if the user was to edit the geometry with other tools that would be ignored.
If the observers behave better in the next SU I want to make modifiers that one can apply to groups/components. Stack them up and apply the modifications after the user edit the base shape.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby notareal » Thu May 27, 2010 11:45 am

Stunning! What a return.
Welcome to try Thea Render, Thea support | kerkythea.net -team member

notareal 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby Mike Lucey » Thu May 27, 2010 12:39 pm

I think I've figured out how Fredo is doing all this fantastic work ...... if you listen carefully to the video you will hear a lot of squeeking going on in the background ....... well these can only be Creative Gremlins! :thumb:
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby olishea » Thu May 27, 2010 2:25 pm

wow :shock:
oli
olishea 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Jim Smith » Thu May 27, 2010 4:26 pm

Big thanks in advance for creating this plugin. :ecstatic: Frank Gehry will probably be switching to GSU pretty soon if Fredo keep this up :roll:
"Out of clutter find simplicity,
from discord find harmony,
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
Albert Einstein
Jim Smith 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby shura » Thu May 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Omg, we are drowning in pleasant anticipation!
shura 

Postby Rainie » Thu May 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi all,
where we can download this very helpful plugin!!! Thanks!!!

Rainie 

Postby thomthom » Thu May 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Rainie wrote:Hi all,
where we can download this very helpful plugin!!! Thanks!!!

When it is released. This was just a teaser. ;)
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby solo » Thu May 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Fredo strikes again!!

Looking forward to another true Gem.
My site

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
solo 
Global Moderator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Plugins