Problems Encountered Using Skatter on Large Project

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

Problems Encountered Using Skatter on Large Project

Postby Bob James » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:25 am

I am working on a major new project that involves a LOT of land area requiring different plants and different distributions of plants in each area.
I've encountered the following problems: some may be real some due to lack of experience using Skatter.
Project Area.PNG

The activity that has led to this post is trying out different plants and different plant distributions on each of the several different land areas. This results in trying a combination, rendering it and then going back to change either the plants or/and the distribution. This means I have to get rid of the plant components used in the first try. This is very hard to do.

In an actual job (i.e., Having all the model components, not just the ground) Skattered objects are difficult to find if you want to delete a skatter and start over with a new skatter. To get around this I have been using a model of just the ground and making a custom Skatter for each area. Then I need to go back remove some or all of the plants from a custom skatter and put in the new trial plants.

Clearing the Render List does not get rid of the components that were scattered.

Using the Components tray I can't delete skattered components. Even have encountered the dreaded Splat.
"Delete" is greyed out. I've tried chosing "Selecting all Instances" and deleting but that did not work.

In an attempt to delete the plant components I tried going into the Custom Library file since Components are loaded from the custom library file. Since you cannot delete a Custom Skatter from Skatter itself, I have to do it by going to C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/Skatter/Library/Custom/ and delete .sklib file.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, if I distribute the probabilities for the plants they are not persistent. For example, Set plant 1 to 40%, plant 2 to 40% and plant 3 to 20%. If I go back and click on plant 1, it shows 100% instead of 40%, etc. I worked around this by opening the .sklib file and changing the values there. Not great, but it works.

If I go back to Scale and want to change the XYZ distribution, when I change the X-value, the Y- and Z- values become greyed out and do not change to the new X-value. (see attachment)
Greyed.PNG


There are other problems apparently caused by deleting groups or moving surfaces:
Deleted Groups.PNG

Moved Surfaces.PNG

These can wait for another post :D

This is an awesome tool, but obviously, I need some guidance to use it efficiently.
0
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
User avatar
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: Problems Encountered Using Skatter on Large Project

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:09 pm

When loading a preset from the library, a copy of each component is placed at the origin, hidden and locked. This is to prevent the components being purged (as there are no instance in the model in Render Only mode).
So you should find them there. Unhide and unlock them, then you should be able to delete de definitions.
0
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: Problems Encountered Using Skatter on Large Project

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Bob James wrote:As I mentioned in an earlier post, if I distribute the probabilities for the plants they are not persistent. For example, Set plant 1 to 40%, plant 2 to 40% and plant 3 to 20%. If I go back and click on plant 1, it shows 100% instead of 40%, etc. I worked around this by opening the .sklib file and changing the values there. Not great, but it works.

Do you hit Enter after entering the probability value?
0
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: Problems Encountered Using Skatter on Large Project

Postby Bob James » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:32 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:When loading a preset from the library, a copy of each component is placed at the origin, hidden and locked. This is to prevent the components being purged (as there are no instance in the model in Render Only mode).
So you should find them there. Unhide and unlock them, then you should be able to delete de definitions.

Suppose the following (real) scenario:

Area 1 has Components A, B, C and D
Area 2 has Components A, E, F and G

I want to change the components for Area 2 to
Components E, F, G and H

If I unlock and delete component A, then it will also be deleted from Area 1.

I assume that I should make a "Make Unique" copy of component A to be scattered in Area 2 to avoid this kind of problem.
0
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
User avatar
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: Problems Encountered Using Skatter on Large Project

Postby Bob James » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:35 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:
Bob James wrote:As I mentioned in an earlier post, if I distribute the probabilities for the plants they are not persistent. For example, Set plant 1 to 40%, plant 2 to 40% and plant 3 to 20%. If I go back and click on plant 1, it shows 100% instead of 40%, etc. I worked around this by opening the .sklib file and changing the values there. Not great, but it works.

Do you hit Enter after entering the probability value?

No, I didn't. Thank you
0
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
User avatar
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: Problems Encountered Using Skatter on Large Project

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:36 pm

I'm sorry, I don't understand the issue. Removing the Scattered Object from the Skatter setup isn't enough?
0
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: Problems Encountered Using Skatter on Large Project

Postby Bob James » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:58 pm

Bob James wrote:Since you cannot delete a Custom Skatter from Skatter itself, I have to do it by going to C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/Skatter/Library/Custom/ and delete .sklib file.


I create the Custom Skatters so I can use them for experimenting on different components, percentages, etc in a copy of an area of the whole model in a separate skp and then use the best Skatter on that area in the skp of the whole model.
After making and using Custom Skatters for a project, I'm unlikely to have to use them again.
How about making a way to delete a Custom Skatter that is no longer needed without having to delete the .skib file?

I'd also really like to be able to make a scatter of portion of the whole model in the experimental model, then copy and paste in place in the full final model skp.
0
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
User avatar
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: Problems Encountered Using Skatter on Large Project

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:08 am

Oh I see, you want to delete a preset in the library browser?
I will soon completely recreate the browser, it'll be much better.
1
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 



 

Return to Skatter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Visit our sponsors: