Preview: Classical Theatre W/ Proscenium Arch (Broadway)

Preview: Classical Theatre W/ Proscenium Arch (Broadway)

Postby SirJackWhittle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:40 pm

Work in Progress...

Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of my theatre project, I've made a few theatre designs in the past but they've been modern and when I've rendered my set designs with them, they don't always look the best.

I thought that i'd try something different and do a classical theatre.

Let me know your thoughts etc.

(I've still got to add wall decorations to the stalls area and back walls.)

Features:

• 1,800 Seats, Main Stalls & Grand Circle
    Proscenium Arch
    Sound and Lighting Booth
    Speaker Rigging
    Curtains / Drapes
    Chandeliers
    Sound rigging / trusses
    Light rigging / trusses.

So much more to come.

Jack Whittle
Senior Set Designer | Television and Stage.

JWD Media

SirJackWhittle 

Re: Preview: Classical Theatre W/ Proscenium Arch (Broadway)

Postby pbacot » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:57 pm

Looks pretty fantastic! I might suggest one thing. The images look dark and while the Sketchucation thumbnails are small. The images themselves are too large to really get a feel of it.
MacOSX Mojave High Sierra SketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v2 PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby pbacot » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

I've always wondered what it would be like, how is it even possible to draw plans for something like this.
MacOSX Mojave High Sierra SketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v2 PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby SirJackWhittle » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:46 am

pbacot wrote:Looks pretty fantastic! I might suggest one thing. The images look dark and while the Sketchucation thumbnails are small. The images themselves are too large to really get a feel of it.

Here is a "test" render of the almost finished auditorium and stage :)

I've still got to add some more lighting to the main house and lower the saturation but at least you get the idea.

What do you think now?
Jack Whittle

JWD Media

SirJackWhittle 

Postby Bryan K » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:16 am

Pretty impressive!
Bryan K 

Postby Daniel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Quite the undertaking. After studying your images carefully, I hate to say it but the balcony appears too far forward. I've never seen a theatre with the front of the balcony so close to the stage; I'm afraid if you looked at it in a section drawing, you might have a problem with sight lines. Also, IMHO, your chandeliers appear dinky to the space, as seen in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pictures.
Would be nice to see some views of the ceiling, as they are usually very decorative in such theatres.
Look forward to seeing the finished product.
My avatar is an anachronism.
Daniel 

Postby SirJackWhittle » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:24 pm

Daniel wrote:Quite the undertaking. After studying your images carefully, I hate to say it but the balcony appears too far forward. I've never seen a theatre with the front of the balcony so close to the stage; I'm afraid if you looked at it in a section drawing, you might have a problem with sight lines. Also, IMHO, your chandeliers appear dinky to the space, as seen in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pictures.
Would be nice to see some views of the ceiling, as they are usually very decorative in such theatres.
Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Hi Daniel,

It's been a while since I've revisited this post and project, I've been toying with the idea of changing the interior of the theatre this last week, including moving the balcony further back.

See images below.

Jack Whittle

JWD Media

SirJackWhittle 

Postby shawb » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:19 pm

Daniel wrote:….. I've never seen a theatre with the front of the balcony so close to the stage; I'm afraid if you looked at it in a section drawing, you might have a problem with sight lines. ...

As well as a section to check sight lines, as Daniel suggests, I would position the camera as if you were sitting in various balcony seats. Your balcony viewpoints are positioned a long way above the seats and so do not reflect a realistic view for a member of the audience. Apart from that, a very interesting project. I immediately thought of the Theatre Royal in Windsor, UK although it is probably almost sixty years since I was in it!

shawb 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to WIP