Ming Dynasty armchair

To access this forum when logged in, please, sign up to the Woodworking User Group in your User Control Panel.

Ming Dynasty armchair

Postby davidheim1 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:12 pm

horseshoe back chair copy.png
My interpretation of a horseshoe-back armchair from 17th century China. One knowledgeable furniture-maker once told me that Chinese furniture from this period was the finest ever made. Who am I to argue? The original sold at auction for nearly a million dollars.
You can draw a direct line from chairs like this to early 20th century furniture from the Vienna Secession movement and to modern Danish design. Hans Wegner designed a chair that could be the Ming chair's great-great-great-great grandchild.
Enjoy!
dh

davidheim1 

Re: Ming Dynasty armchair

Postby ntxdave » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:07 am

Very good work sir! :thumb:
Last edited by ntxdave on Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
ntxdave 

Postby tuna1957 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:21 am

Awesome :thumb: :thumb:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby davidheim1 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:54 am

Thank you, gentlemen.

davidheim1 

Postby pbacot » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:03 am

looks like a some modeling magic had to apply this that one. Very nice! Interesting piece. With the back bowed out like that, no lumbar support, or maybe a pillow's supposed to go there.
MacOSX Mojave High Sierra SketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v2 PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby nlipovac » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:32 am

I got myself-thinking would it be comfy for my bum. :fro: :enlight:

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby davidheim1 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:21 am

Nlipovac--How well padded is your bum? The seat's solid wood, although it probably came with a thin cushion back in the day.

Pbacot--Not sure about the magic, but there were a zillion little details to mind. The legs, for instance, have a very small amount of rake and splay, just enough to be a PITA.

Thanks for the comments.

davidheim1 

Postby db11 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Great job David, and a very interesting piece.

It always astounds me to see the quality and craftsmanship of pre-industrial pieces like this.

But maybe one advantage that the craftsmen had in that era — at least those lucky enough to have the support of a patron, like the Emperor — is that they could take the time necessary to produce such work, without having to worry about whether they could still afford food and rent.

db11 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Woodworking