Layers and Materials Folders

Got an idea to improve SketchUp?

Layers and Materials Folders

Postby tackleberry » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:07 am

Hello there,

Many of the models I create end up with lots of different textures and layers.

Can a grouping or folder option be introduced to allow you to, say, put all the textures associated with the vehicles, people, vegetation, etc in your model, into separate folders (Photoshop type layering is the first example to jump to mind).

For me, these three alone tend to generate 40+ textures. I don't necessarily have the time or inclination to try and remove 9 of the 10 identical greys, etc. I would just rather be able to put them in a folder and not have them in the main selection window.

I like to keep neat and well organized models and think it would be useful to be able to sub-divide layers and materials up.

What do you think?

Tackleberry

tackleberry 

Re: Layers and Materials Folders

Postby perk » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:22 pm

"I don't necessarily have the time or inclination to try and remove 9 of the 10 identical greys, etc. I would just rather be able to put them in a folder and not have them in the main selection window."

I agree that it would be nice to group layers and materials like you can in photoshop as you said. One other thing that I think would be a great suggestion is if there was a way to merge identical materials or delete one and paint with another rather then only having the option to use the default material when deleting one.

perk 

Postby thomthom » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:42 am

I second this suggestion.
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby tackleberry » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:43 pm

Great suggestion.

Could it be put together as a ruby script?

Tackleberry

tackleberry 

Postby Gaieus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Yeah, it rather sound like a ruby target (although grouping and collapsing layers as well as material folders in model is a nice idea anyway - Todd has gotten the "bait" for this latter one already :) )
Gaieus 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Feature Requests