[Plugin] Projecting Floor Paintings

[Plugin] Projecting Floor Paintings

Postby plot-paris » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:56 am

Hello everyone,
have been absent for quite some time now. just too much to do. but now I've got a problem, that might be solved by a nice little ruby script:

Do you know these painters, drawing a painting on the floor in a pedestrian area? Some of these paintings use a fantastic trick, so that if you stand at one specific point you will see a hole in the ground or similar. They do it via perspective distortion.

To create such a painting in SketchUp all I have to do is create the scene, then define one camera point in space. Then I have to draw lines from this camera point to all the visible vertexes and continue these line until they hit the ground floor. And finally all I have to do is connect these new intersection points on the ground.
If I look thorugh the camera now, I will see a 3D object, that is actually painted on a flat floor.
(by the way: there is a new "Film and Stage" plugin for SketchUp 8 )

Projected_Views.jpg

Unfortunately I need to do that for quite a few scenes. And I figured this might be something that can be done via Ruby (I know there is the Projection ruby. But it doesn't do projections from one single point, only parallel...)
I need to do the project over the weekend. So time is short :?

Any help would be highly appreciated!
plot-paris 

Re: [Request] Projecting floor Paintings

Postby mitcorb » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi, plot-paris:
Nice to see you back.
I thought perhaps you could do a Forum wide search on "camera", but then I saw that there were only 307 pages on this search topic. However, what you describe does bring up thoughts of discussions within the last 6 months, it seems, on related topics.
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Re: [Plugin] Projecting floor Paintings

Postby TIG » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Try this
projecteye2ground.rb

projecteye2ground.rb

Select raw geometry [i.e. including the edges to project] and type projecteye2ground into the Ruby Console, and the vertices are projected onto the ground plane from the eye, with cpoints and clines reproducing the distorted form...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby mitcorb » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:33 pm

In lieu of all that exhaustive searching, we have the resident problem solver to present the solution. Well done, TIG. :thumb: :thumb:
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby plot-paris » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 pm

wow, TIG! Did you just write that? thats almost perfect! wonderful! you just made my day!!! :sketchstatic:
plot-paris 

Postby Dave R » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:17 am

TIG, that's pretty slick.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Re: [Plugin] Projecting Floor Paintings

Postby elthanos » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:14 pm

Very good TIG!!! Could it project on other objects too or only on ground floor?

elthanos 

Postby RPNZ » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:34 pm

Hey TIG, this is all great information,
is there a way of projecting on the ground and onto a vertical surface ? ie onto a street and onto a building across the street? So the "object is projected on the flat and vertical surfaces in the same drawing?
thanks..

RPNZ 

Postby mikedd » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:06 am

plot-paris wrote:
Do you know these painters, drawing a painting on the floor in a pedestrian area? Some of these paintings use a fantastic trick, so that if you stand at one specific point you will see a hole in the ground or similar. They do it via perspective distortion.

Julian Beever is probably the most famous. http://www.julianbeever.net/index.php?o ... 1&Itemid=1

Here is a basic tutorial http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Anam ... treet-Art/

With Photoshop http://www.instructables.com/id/Anamorp ... Photoshop/

mikedd 

Postby mikedd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:01 am

Heres mine: Nancy with a basketball, in scene 1 the ball looks normal. In scene 2 you can clearly see how the ball is flat and distorted by using the scale tool and how long the anamorphic images have to be to get the desired effect.

mikedd 

Postby pilou » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:33 am

;)
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Plugins