[Plugin] Sphere 1.1

[Plugin] Sphere 1.1

Postby Regular Polygon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:53 am

This is a simple to use plugin that draws a sphere. You enter the parameters in a dialog box. It creates a sphere component, and activates the component placement tool to position it in the model.

dialog sphere.PNG

You can control exactly how much geometry is created by specifying the number of latitude lines and longitude lines. You can also create some interesting sphere shaped polyhedra with just a few latitude and longitude lines.

facets.PNG

# CHANGELOG
# 1.1 - July 4, 2010
# * Remember dialog box parameters between sessions.

The Sphere plugin is at regularpolygon.org/plugins/sphere.php.

Thanks
Last edited by Regular Polygon on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

Regular Polygon 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [Plugin] Sphere

Postby thomthom » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:36 am

Those polyhedra shapes are a neat bonus for this. :thumb:
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby watkins » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:34 pm

Can you enter metric sizes too? Looks a useful plugin, so many thanks.

Regards,
Bob

watkins 

Postby TIG » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:42 pm

watkins wrote:Can you enter metric sizes too? Looks a useful plugin, so many thanks.
Regards,
Bob

The start of the script sets the defaults
@@radius = 1.feet
change it to
@@radius = 300.mm
for the near metric equivalent - or any other default value you want...
The last entered value is remembered that session anyway.
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Regular Polygon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:12 pm

watkins wrote:Can you enter metric sizes too? Looks a useful plugin, so many thanks.

Regards,
Bob

You are welcome!

I think you can enter any length, (e.g. 100mm, 10cm, 1', etc.). The plugin remembers your input, and uses the last value entered as the default value the next time. How the length is displayed depends on the format that you have set in the Model Info - Length Units Manager. I am using the Architectural format, so it displays the lengths in feet and inches.

Regular Polygon 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby McGyver » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:06 am

This looks very interesting and useful. Thank you for sharing!
McGyver 

Postby utiler » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:55 am

Thanks mate, this is quite a neat tool!!!!
purpose/expression/purpose/....
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby brookefox » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:12 am

While I haven't hand drawn one in some three weeks, it was too recently to be a fond memory and you add all those other wonderful potentialities!!

Many thanks.
~ Brooke
brookefox 

Postby watkins » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:32 am

Thanks to all for answering my query.

Regards,
Bob

watkins 

Postby KarinaGM » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 am

this will be a handy one :D
"Aquel que sacrifica un poco de libertad por seguridad, no se merece ninguna y terminará perdiendo ambas"

-Benjamín Franklin.

KarinaGM 

Postby Regular Polygon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:36 am

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied. Hope you all find the Sphere plugin useful.

Also, there is a slightly improved version available, which I'll call version 1.1. The first version remembered the dialog box values entered, but only during each session. If you closed SketchUp and reopened it, your last values would be lost. This version remembers the parameters between sessions as well.

You can download Sphere 1.1 here on my blog.

Thanks.
Last edited by Regular Polygon on Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regular Polygon 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby boofredlay » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:25 am

I have been using a sphere plugin for over a year. I use it very often but the limitation was that it had no parameters. This new one has replaced it, thank you. Thank you very much.
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Postby chrisglasier » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:11 am

Regular Polygon wrote:

You can download Sphere 1.1 here on my blog.

Please be kind enough to upload the .rb file to this topic, as blogspot is blocked in some countries. Also it is customary to put new versions in the first post so the latest comes up in a search. Another post to notify its arrival is also good. Thanks.
With JSON machines we can analyse what is to be achieved so that IT can help with automation to achieve it.
chrisglasier 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [Plugin] Sphere 1.1

Postby Regular Polygon » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:22 am

chrisglasier wrote:... it is customary to put new versions in the first post so the latest comes up in a search. Another post to notify its arrival is also good. Thanks.

Sorry about that, I am new to the posting customs here. I edited the OP so the the link points to the latest update Sphere 1.1. That does seem more organized, thanks for the tip.

Please be kind enough to upload the .rb file to this topic, as blogspot is blocked in some countries.

As for my blog being blocked in some countries, I have to say that this was complete news to me. I suppose you are referring particularly to China. I did some research using this tool, Website Pulse, and found that my site was blocked in 3 out of 4 major cities in China! However, I still feel strongly about having my plugins downloaded from a single distribution point, and the logical place for that is my blog where they are fully documented.

Perhaps this problem can be resolved in the near future another way. Blogger is pretty limited, so I am considering moving to a different platform, where the URL would have my own domain name. Then my blog wouldn't be blocked anywhere, or at least it would be as accessible as this forum, so there would be no issue.
Last edited by Regular Polygon on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regular Polygon 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby chrisglasier » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:40 am

Regular Polygon wrote:
However, I still feel strongly about having my plugins downloaded from a single distribution point, and the logical place for that is my blog where they are fully documented.

Perhaps this problem can be resolved in the near future another way.

Of course it is up to you but often it is of mutual benefit when similar things from different sources are offered in one place - like a street market, souk or forum.
With JSON machines we can analyse what is to be achieved so that IT can help with automation to achieve it.
chrisglasier 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby pankaj_tamore » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Nice plugin reduces efforts in creating sphere otherwise with default tools it takes lot time & efforts to create sphere :sketchstatic:

pankaj_tamore 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Plugins