[Plugin]Architect's First Walkthrough (Tutorial)

[Plugin]Architect's First Walkthrough (Tutorial)

Postby MartinRinehart » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:03 pm

Edit: feedback negative, got to redo this. There is now a very heavily annotated script available here

For those who learn best from step-by-step tutorials, I've put one up here:

http://www.martinrinehart.com/models/ru ... rough.html
Last edited by MartinRinehart on Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author, Edges to Rubies - The Complete SketchUp Tutorial at http://www.MartinRinehart.com/models/tutorial.

MartinRinehart 

Re: [Plugin]Architect's First Walkthrough (Tutorial)

Postby MartinRinehart » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Yo, guys. It's a lot of trouble to make this. Worth my time?
Author, Edges to Rubies - The Complete SketchUp Tutorial at http://www.MartinRinehart.com/models/tutorial.

MartinRinehart 

Postby Pixero » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:21 pm

It look interesting but I don't have time to check it out right now.
How are you solving slow ins and speed ups for realistic camera movement?
Pixero 

Postby MartinRinehart » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:46 pm

Pixero wrote:How are you solving slow ins and speed ups for realistic camera movement?

What are "slow ins and speed ups"?

Everything I do is controlled by a "conductor" who checks time and adjusts the delay once a second. Theoretically, this means that your very fast machine runs at the same rate as my slow machine. In practice, the conductor gets it pretty close: within about a second per minute.

MartinRinehart 

Postby xrok1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:52 pm

this must be a coding tutorial cause it makes no sense to me :?
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

xrok1 

Postby tfdesign » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Martin, this looks interesting, but I can perhaps see where Jan is coming from? The exponential speeding up and slowing down, as opposed to a linear motion? A bit like the old Steadycam effect?

I can also see perhaps where Xrok1 is coming from too. Things may get horribly tedious if camera positions have to be entered as a string of numbers. (Unless those numbers are feet or inches, or metres?).

But as I said, it looks like an interesting plugin that I may have to play with :)

Tom
My book "Let's SketchUp!" Download from here

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Pixero » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:34 pm

MartinRinehart wrote:
Pixero wrote:How are you solving slow ins and speed ups for realistic camera movement?

What are "slow ins and speed ups"?

Everything I do is controlled by a "conductor" who checks time and adjusts the delay once a second. Theoretically, this means that your very fast machine runs at the same rate as my slow machine. In practice, the conductor gets it pretty close: within about a second per minute.

I'm talking about acceleration and deseleration of camera movement to get a smooth realistic animation.
SketchUp scenes only use linear interpolation of frames so no accelleration/deseleration is going on there. You always gets "jumps" when camera changes direction at scenes.
For realistic camera movement acceleration and deseleration are needed.
Pixero 

Postby Pixero » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:40 pm

tfdesign wrote: Things may get horribly tedious if camera positions have to be entered as a string of numbers. (Unless those numbers are feet or inches, or metres?).
Tom

A better solution might be a Camera component that you place where you want it to be at a certain time (like keyframes in a timeline) and then the script would get the position and orientation and maybe even zoom factor from that camera component and do its magic. Then some way of modifying timing with accelleration/deseleration.
Pixero 

Postby solo » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Martin, to be honest, I looked at the tutorial and a fog of stupidity overcame me and I closed the window feeling like this is way above my abilities. Reminds me of the DOS days.

I do know this has taken a lot of time to create, and I appreciate all your efforts, however you may have over estimated my code literacy.
www.solos-art.com

I'm a social vegan, I avoid meet.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby EarthMover » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:31 am

I did the same as Pete. It would be nice to perhaps have a tool that could interact with the scene cooridinates and allow you click on certain places in the model that would serve as "keyframes". Upon clicking with the key tool, perhaps a small dialog box could appear, where users could enter the rotation or roll parameters of the camera and the in between frames interpolated. I guess I would be asking you to make the plugin a little more user friendly and require less mental work.
3D Artist at Clearstory 3D Imaging
Guide Tool at Winning With Sketchup
Content Creator at Skapeup
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Lucey » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:02 am

Preferably no mental work. Thanks for the plugin Martin though :thumb:
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby chrisglasier » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:46 am

For easing in and out see this demo. Select type and click. Mental workers can visit here.
With JSON machines we can analyse what is to be achieved so that IT can help with automation to achieve it.
chrisglasier 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby MartinRinehart » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:14 pm

solo wrote:Martin, to be honest, I looked at the tutorial and a fog of stupidity overcame me ...

Thank you! That's not good news, but it's exactly what I need to know.

MartinRinehart 

Postby MartinRinehart » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:51 pm

Where I really want to go is a nice time line dialog tracking camera and the other things you want to animate. You divide your movie into scenes, specify lengths, camera position(s) and movements, ... The dialog should write the necessary script.

For the moment, scripting is needed if you want to add animations. What I've got is far simpler than the underware which manipulates transformation matrices. Appendix T of my tutorial if you're curious about what that means.

MartinRinehart 

Postby tfdesign » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:59 pm

I know exactly what you want Martin, and you are on the right track too (no pun intended). This kind of plug-in is exactly what I would like, so keep up the good work! :thumb: :thumb:

If you could get that (controlled) SteadyCam look, but with an air of simplicity in the interface design (Mac and PC too), this plugin would do very well. :D

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby tfdesign » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Martin,

this site has some interesting maths that could be applied for speeding up and slowing things down;

http://www.motionscript.com/mastering-e ... tents.html

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby thomthom » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:30 pm

tfdesign wrote:Martin,

this site has some interesting maths that could be applied for speeding up and slowing things down;

http://www.motionscript.com/mastering-e ... tents.html

Very nice link! :thumb:
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby tfdesign » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Yes. I thought some people would like that link. 8-)
I found it useful when trying to write scripts for Flash in the latter part of my degree.

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby thomthom » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:51 pm

I liked now it broke down everything into small sections and builds upwards, while illustrating the data and formulas.
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JClements » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Related to Chris Glassier' posting. A possible UI which is relatively easy to use is shown below.

A 2-D application I use, XaraPro, uses a "Profile" dialog with some of its tools.
A.) shows a drop down list in the dialog of basic presets.
B.) shows how the user can tweek the presets by using slider or typing in values. Not only does the plot-graphic change instanteously, but the graphic of tick marks adjusts instantaneously depicting the dispersion of data along an interval.

Just an idea of how choosing the proper the acceleration from scene to scene (or camera to camera) might be done.
John
Illustrator
Beaverton, Oregon
JClements 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:38 pm

JClements wrote:Related to Chris Glassier' posting. A possible UI which is relatively easy to use is shown below.

A 2-D application I use, XaraPro, uses a "Profile" dialog with some of its tools.
A.) shows a drop down list in the dialog of basic presets.
B.) shows how the user can tweek the presets by using slider or typing in values. Not only does the plot-graphic change instanteously, but the graphic of tick marks adjusts instantaneously depicting the dispersion of data along an interval.

Just an idea of how choosing the proper the acceleration from scene to scene (or camera to camera) might be done.

Me likes! :thumb:
Pixero 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Plugins