[Plugin] MoveIt

[Plugin] MoveIt

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:16 pm

mover

Moves Groups/Components around. Only works on Groups/Components, not individual entities like edges or faces.

Mar 2014 - Renamed to MoveIt and put on SketchUcation Plugin Store

Requirements
  • SketchUp version 6 or later.
  • Windows is recommended as there are some unresolved Mac issues

Installation

Download the attachment,and unzip the archive. Copy jimfoltz.rb and the jimfoltz folder to the Plugins folder, restart SketchUp.

Instructions

1. Open the mover dialog: Plugins > Mover
    2. Enter a move distance in the dialog. Optionally, if distance is zero (or blank), mover uses the object's bounds. Any value that the VCB accepts can be used, including units modifiers.
    3. Check the Copy box if you want to leave a copy behind when moving.
    4. Select the object you want to move.
    5. Click the arrow buttons to move the selected object around in the model. The flaaing box icon drops the object to the XY plane (z = 0). The 0 button completely resets the transformation, including position and rotation.
    6. Optionally you can use the keyboard to move; but first you need to return the focus to the mover dialog by clicking somewhere on the mover dialog.
      • Blue axes: Page Up/Page Down
      • Green axes: Up arrow/Down arrow
      • Red axes: Right arrow/Left arrow

The rotation axis is around a line from the object center and parallel to the Z axis. Rotation is always clock-wise.

Credits
Thanks to Daniel S for the color scheme and icons.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Re: mover.zip

Postby juju » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi Jim, thx for the ruby. I think that maybe we need to have a short desctiption of what the ruby does as well, this is something I've found lacking (in general) when sourcing ruby scripts on the web.
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Stu » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:18 pm

Jim, thanks heaps.
I have found Nudge rb invaluable for a long time but this with all the options displayed makes moving very elegant indeed!
And the rotate function is very handy as well.
Just a note on the rotate functions.......They were not visible on installation and I might never have noticed that I had to expand the box if it wasn't for the image in this thread.
Stu

Stu 

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:19 pm

Stu Mayhew wrote:Jim, thanks heaps.
I have found Nudge rb invaluable for a long time but this with all the options displayed makes moving very elegant indeed!
And the rotate function is very handy as well.
Just a note on the rotate functions.......They were not visible on installation and I might never have noticed that I had to expand the box if it wasn't for the image in this thread.
Stu

Stu,

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. I'll add an explicit set_size command. I wonder if there is a way to "fit" the window to what it contains automatically.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby firkins » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:19 pm

Jim, thanks for the nice script.

I have a suggestion or request. Is it possible to add a random rotate button? I use this feature with the Rotix script to randomly rotate plants, but the rotix script is not the best for my setup. I think that this feature could make the script even more useful.

Thanks again,

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty not Safety."

Ben Franklin

firkins 

Postby modelhead » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:21 pm

Jim,

I like it. It's going to be a real time saver I'm sure. Can't wait to try it out on something that would normally be tedious for me. Puts less stress on the hand as well from an ergo standpoint.

Thanks.... its a great piece of gem-stone code.

modelhead 

Postby Mike Lucey » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:21 pm

Thanks Jim, great script.

I think Juju has a very valid point. I think I
probably would be using a lot more Rubies if I
knew exactly what they could be used for. I
fully appreciate the efforts and generosity of
the Scripters though and can understand that
they probably feel that the explanations are
self explanatory.

Maybe we could consider preparing some examples
/ movies that explains there usefulness ?

Mike
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby Stu » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:22 pm

Jim,
I cant get this to work with SU V5 [which I still do most of my work in] so I'm presuming it's set up for V6?
If this is the case, how easy would it be to make it V5 compatible?
Sorry for being a pain :oops:
Stu

Stu 

Postby Stu » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:22 pm

Stu Mayhew wrote:Jim,
I cant get this to work with SU V5 [which I still do most of my work in] so I'm presuming it's set up for V6?
If this is the case, how easy would it be to make it V5 compatible?
Sorry for being a pain :oops:
Stu

Stu,

Mover is not compatible with V5 since it is a WebDialog, which is a feature of V6. Have you looked at nudge.rb?

Stu 

Postby Stu » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:23 pm

Thanks Jim,
Now I understand [well sort of].
As I mentioned, I have used nudge for a long time but find mover much more useful and easy to use. And I love the rotate function and its options. Used in combination with the x,y,z movements its pretty easy to get a random effect of , say, a soldier course of trees.
Stu

Stu 

Postby firkins » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:23 pm

A random button could either replace the 60 degree button (45+15), or add another row with a random button and an input box for rotation.

Just an idea. :mrgreen:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty not Safety."

Ben Franklin

firkins 

Postby rhankc » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:24 pm

Jim,
I got your script running, thanks for putting this together. Very Nice!
Hank

rhankc 

Postby Gidon Yuval » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi y'all,
I'm not sure I understand what this script does that move/copy doesn't.
If you don't know where you're going, you're never going to get there.

Gidon Yuval 

Postby rhankc » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 pm

It moves your items a key-in distance in an arrow direction. You dont have to set up a construction line or infer and watch the VCB. Key the distance, click a direction and done, Easy.
Hank

rhankc 

Postby Gidon Yuval » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:27 pm

But if I select an object then move it along a given axis and type in a distance I get the same result. I'm trying to understand the advantage of activating a script to do this.

Gidon Yuval 

Postby Stu » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:27 pm

Gidon,
If we are talking about one component, floating in mid air, well away from anything else...your right.

But if it's a complex model, with lots of groups/components all nested together its often impossible to find an axis to move along and if you do, your component will instantly snap to the nearest line, component, group etc.

This is where Mover becomes REALLY useful! Add to that 45 degree movement, multiple, on axis, rotation options and all controlled by an elegant little window.

I rate it as my most useful [and most used] ruby.
;)
Stu

Stu 

Postby Maggy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:28 pm

would it be hard to create a multiple copy option?
One tree times 10 times 10 would create a very nice forest, shift some individual trees for a nice natural random effect.
I know that there are already several ways in SU or with existing rubies to do this, but it would make this tool even more flexible.

[Maggy]

Maggy 

Postby Gidon Yuval » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:29 pm

Stu, I downloaded the script, tried it out and it is indeed a lovely tool. I have one or two questions.
Firstly, all the movements are in the opposite direction to the arows. In other words, I'll key in a distance, hit the arrow pointing right, and the object moves left.(?!?)
Secondly, I cant figure out how to enter a rotation value. When I hit the "?" button it just rotates any which way it chooses.
What have I missed?
Oh! And of-course: a big THANK YOU to Jim :oops:

Gidon Yuval 

Postby Stu » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:30 pm

Gidon,

The movement is along the red, green, blue axial lines rather than to the left or right so it's possible to be in a position where it looks as if the movement is in the opposite direction to that indicated.

With the rotation.....the options are the indicated degrees or the ? which indicates a random rotation within 360 degrees.

And as well as all the discussed functions there is also the copy, return to the 0 axis point and drop to the red/green plane options.

All in one little Ruby :!: :!:

Fantastic Jim :!: :lol:

Stu

Stu 

Postby Gidon Yuval » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:30 pm

Stu Mayhew wrote:Gidon,

The movement is along the red, green, blue axial lines rather than to the left or right so it's possible to be in a position where it looks as if the movement is in the opposite direction to that indicated.

Stu

OK, got it.
Thanks

Gidon Yuval 

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:31 pm

Maggy wrote:would it be hard to create a multiple copy option?
One tree times 10 times 10 would create a very nice forest, shift some individual trees for a nice natural random effect.
I know that there are already several ways in SU or with existing rubies to do this, but it would make this tool even more flexible.

Maggy,

I like the idea of a copy quantity. I think I can fit a little text box in there. Anyone else want to comment?
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby Stu » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:31 pm

Jim,

A multiple copy option would be great :!:

And thanks once again.....it's pretty obvious I like this one.

;)

Stu

Stu 

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:32 pm

Mover has a feature where it will move an object by an amount determined by the objects size if the DIST amount is zero or blank. It works since the plugin only supports moving one thing at a time. If I wanted to move multiple selected objects, this feature becomes less useful (if it was useful to begin with.)

I wanted to know of anyone uses this feature, and if anyone would be unhappy if I removed it in favor of adding the ability to move multiple selected objects?
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby Gidon Yuval » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:32 pm

Jim wrote:Mover has a feature where it will move an object by an amount determined by the objects size if the DIST amount is zero or blank.

Jim, I know I was less than enthusiastic when I first saw the 'mover' but I have since come to use and appreciate it more and more. So first of all: Thank you. Secondly, regarding the above mentioned feature I find that to be very very helpful.
Thanks again.

Gidon Yuval 

Postby Jean-Franco » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:33 pm

Jim, I just tried your tool and I like it. Thanks a lot. I would prefer to use multiple selection of groups and components. More convenient for me.
Jean-Franco
Jean-Franco 

Postby samtsham » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi.
Thank you for posting this great ruby.
I'm on a Mac, and I'd like to report some interface-niggles: First of all, the window-size appears to be off. Attached find the window as displayed, when the script is opened. When I resize it, in order to see the rotate-buttons, the horizontal size gets fixed at far too broad, see attachment two, and can't be reduced.

As the window is so big, I can't put it to the side of the model-space, so I have to put it somewhere on top. As soon as I click anywhere in the model window, though, it gets the focus and covers the mover-window, which unfortunately doesn't float, at least not on a Mac.

Third, any effect of the movement only becomes visible, if I click in the model window after I used mover. If I just click the buttons, nothing seems to happen. So visual feedback is rather muddled, I have to know exactly what I want to do, and only get confirmation, after I revert focus back to the model window.

I don't know, if these issues are Mac-only, but I have a feeling, someone else would have already pointed them out, if they weren't.

Thanks for sharing.
SAM from Vienna.

[samtsham]

samtsham 

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:36 pm

I was aware of some of those issues, but not all of them - thanks for bringing them up.

Unfortunately, I do not own or have access to a Mac, which makes it difficult to create a cross-platform version - or even a separate Mac version. My understanding is that they are all Mac specific issues.

Thanks for the comments and interest.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby kdjanz » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:36 pm

Jim

Could you test it using Safari for Windows as the browser for the HTML? Would that give you a more accurate preview of what the Mac might be seeing?

Just asking a question out my deep Ruby ignorance.

Kelly

kdjanz 

Postby Jim » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:37 pm

Kelly,

Safari may help remove some of the issues.

Last time I tried Safari (about a month ago,) it wouldn't run on my computer. I'm the guy still running Windows 2000 Pro on an AMD Athlon 1800 with 256 MB RAM. It barely meets the minimum requirements of the latest softwares. I'll try it again.

EDIT:

On second thought, it wouldn't help. You can't tell SketchUp to use one browser over another. I think it always uses Internet Explorer for WebDialogs. Unless someone knows something I don't...

kdjanz wrote:Jim

Could you test it using Safari for Windows as the browser for the HTML? Would that give you a more accurate preview of what the Mac might be seeing?

Just asking a question out my deep Ruby ignorance.

Kelly
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby boofredlay » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:38 pm

Jim wrote:Mover has a feature where it will move an object by an amount determined by the objects size if the DIST amount is zero or blank. It works since the plugin only supports moving one thing at a time. If I wanted to move multiple selected objects, this feature becomes less useful (if it was useful to begin with.)

I wanted to know of anyone uses this feature, and if anyone would be unhappy if I removed it in favor of adding the ability to move multiple selected objects?

I find this to be usefull as GIdon, regarding the multiple copy will it be possible to copy in in x,y,z at the same time as in autocad, rows colums and levels? this would be very very usefull. Thank you for all your great work on this.

[Haggai]
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Plugins