[Plugin] Modification to PutOnLayer

[Plugin] Modification to PutOnLayer

Postby Dik Harrison » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:17 pm

I tend to have way too many layers in my more complex models, and I really like Chris Grant's PutOnLayer as modified by Brian Wirth to put the geometry in Layer 0, but with so many layers, it is often difficult to locate the layer I'm looking for since the plugin lists them in ID order. I did a little tweak to the plugin to sort the layer list by name alphabetically. I hope someone else out there can make use of it.

PutOnLayer_bmw_wrh.rb

P.S.
I forgot to mention that you need to rename the file to PutOnLayer.rb when you put it into your plugins folder.
Last edited by Dik Harrison on Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have fun...

Dik

Dik Harrison 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: Modification to PutOnLayer

Postby Burkhard » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:31 pm

thanks a lot, will come in handy
:thumb:
Burkhard 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:41 pm

Thanks!
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bob James » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:43 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :berserk:

Would you believe that I was in the Ruby Forum about to ask if someone could do this very thing!!
Many of my models are very large and have up to 50 layers or more. It was really a chore to first make the layer current and then click on an object and then use Put on Layer. This makes it so much easier.
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [Plugin] Modification to PutOnLayer

Postby MALAISE » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Really a good improvement. Mainly when using a lot of layers ( for teaching purpose )on drawings about sophisticated devices ( X ray Fluorescence spectrometers)

Thanks a lot :thumb: :thumb:

MALAISE :)
La Connaissance n'a de valeur que partagée
MALAISE 

Postby JClements » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Dick,

I tried your version. It does a nice job of listing the layers in alphabetical order, BUT it seems to have broken the function of the original script which is to move ALL NESTED geometry to a target layer.

Do you have a way to fix this?
John
Illustrator
Beaverton, Oregon
JClements 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Bob James » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:14 am

Putting things on Layer(0) is nice, but how about putting things on a layer of choice rather than just Layer(0).

As I said in my Dec 2008 post, I thought this plugin used to do that: am I wrong? [Windows 7]
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby onzki » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks for the tweak, I'm about to request this one. I'm glad it's here already.:)

[/hr]Dell Precision T5600. SKU 2015 Pro. AutoCAD 2013. Landscape design firm. Hong Kong

onzki 

Postby luo » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:30 pm

JClements wrote:Dick,

I tried your version. It does a nice job of listing the layers in alphabetical order, BUT it seems to have broken the function of the original script which is to move ALL NESTED geometry to a target layer.

Do you have a way to fix this?

i just added working layer list sorted by name.
try it, now it should work.
maybe someone could try to update layers list to display in coulumns?
without having to scroll up and down.

luo 

Postby panixia » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:55 pm

thank you a lot!!!!
panixia 

Postby dungkedi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 pm

wow thanks a lot! that's what I needed

dungkedi 

Postby asterios_polyp » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:18 am

Old post, but here is an update for those having difficulty. Use this script in conjunction with:

viewtopic.php?t=7638

The two combined are brilliant! This is especially true for those that use proper layering techniques, but receive models from Revit Exports.

asterios_polyp 

Postby Helle » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 am

SUPER ... Really LOVE it :-)

Helle 

Postby 3dita » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:49 am

Hi there! This is a great plugin, but could there be an option to create a new layer, after I have selected a group, and right clicked on it?

It could be useful to right click > Put on Layer > New..

Is it possible?
3dita 

Postby pbacot » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:00 pm

I have used this plugin in the past, but now in v2015 it is waaay too slow. Changing layers by the entity window is instantaneous. However I find the entity window tiny pulldown menu to be a pain to use. Any options? Why can't a plugin move things onto layers as fast as the entity window?
I guess I should ask why is the entity window pull-down so miserly and 20th century. But I guess we know the answer.
MacOSX (El Capitan) ShetchUp Pro v16 Layout Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Plugins