2%
HFM
19%
Marian 2
No votes

Total votes : 43

Speed modelling challenge #1 voting

Postby remus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:33 pm

You only get one vote, so choose wisely.

As for criteria, id like to ask you to vote on the model based on the visual impact of the final thing, and the quality of the modelling (where appliacble, dont worry about it if there isnt a .skp.)

The winner of this challenge will be able to choose the next topic for speed modelling challenge #2

p.s. ive set the poll to close in 7 days, and feel free to add a commentary as well :)
Last edited by remus on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

remus 

Re: Speed modelling challenge #1 voting

Postby remus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Marian

marian.skp

David_h

Solo

Buoy.skp

remus 

Postby remus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:41 pm

Daniel

daniel.skp

Modelhead

modelhead.skp

Mut

muttom.skp

remus 

Postby remus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:44 pm

Plot-Paris

plot.skp

Boofredlay

boo.skp

HFM

HFM.skp

remus 

Postby remus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:47 pm

Marian 2

marian 2.skp

remus 

Postby plot-paris » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:24 am

some nice models have been created here.

@marian: which plugin did you use for wrapping the hull of your boat around the outline curves? skin.rb? nice little boat.

@HMF: impressive how simple a model can be to produce such a nice render. nice tidy components as well.

@daniel: you did really spend some thought about how a raft can be build - looks really good. but why didn't you use components for the ropes that hold the timber together? would have saved a lot of file-size. oh yes. and why is one of the components called "Group#32"? I allways thought this is an indicator for a file-import into SketchUp. did you use an older version of SU?

@solo: I like the detail maintained throughout the whole model. pity you didn't include the file. would have loved to learn how it is structured. and the render is simply incredible!

remus, thank you for going through the effort of organising all this. was really a nice start of a wonderful tradition that (hopefully) will go on for quite a while...
I am looking forward to the next one :)
plot-paris 

Postby Marian » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:21 pm

Yes Plot, i used skin.rb a usefull little plugin although the later version don't work on my pc.
Marian 

Postby Dik Harrison » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:34 pm

Plot,

Components get named Group#xx when you make a component from a group and don't rename it.
Have fun...

Dik

Dik Harrison 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby modelhead » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:08 pm

Big thanks to you Remus for your hard work on this. It was great fun and also quite a good pick for a challenge. I found it very thought provoking and very frantic. The models are just great considering the constraints. I hesitate to comment on any being that they all have such unusual characteristics.
but...
HMF - I was careful to look closely at your model. It's wonderful simplicity/symetry/elegance drew me in. Very thoughtful...great example.

modelhead 

Postby Daniel » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Plot, between watchingg tv and trying to figure out how a mast could be sttached to such a raft, I wasn't paying too much attention - I didn't have enough time before the 30 minutes was up to replace all the ropes with components. I'm using the latest version of SU.
My avatar is an anachronism.
Daniel 

Postby plot-paris » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:14 am

David, of course, 30 minutes are so horribly short! I wasted a lot of time panicing, because the minutes sped away so quickly :D

Dik Harrison wrote:Components get named Group#xx when you make a component from a group and don't rename it.

cool, can you simply transform a group to a component? didn't know that. how do you do it?
plot-paris 

Postby Dik Harrison » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Plot, just right click the group and select Make Component, but note that it automatically names the component "Group#xx", and you will need to rename it either in the Entity Info Definition Name text box, or right click it in Outliner and select Rename.

Back when I was an IT tech, one of my favorite things to tell users was; "When in doubt, try right click..."
Have fun...

Dik

Dik Harrison 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby HFM » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Thanks Plot and Modelhead. Don't know about you guys but the 30 min model time kinda forced me into efficiently using my components. Can't wait for the next competition. [And the result of this one off course :D ]

HFM 

Postby plot-paris » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:56 pm

Dik Harrison wrote:Plot, just right click the group and select Make Component..."

after years of SketchUp use something I never noticed. I allways exploded a group to create a component of the content afterwards :oops:
thanks, Dik, for making my life a bit easier.

HFM wrote:Can't wait for the next competition. [And the result of this one off course :D ]

oh yes, me too! such a great thing, these challenges. really make you think about your workflow. next time we could give some short explanation of how we created our models (a rough outline of the steps). that would increase the learning effect of the exercise even more :)
plot-paris 

Postby remus » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:02 am

Well its all over, and solo has won! congrats! a deserving entry.

The next comp shall hopefully be up and running in a week or 2.

thanks to al those who participated and all those who voted.

remus 

Postby kwistenbiebel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:34 am

Congrats Solo!
Nice modeling. :thumb:

My vote for this little challenge went to Plot-Paris' sail boat as it was close to the theme and the simple form he produced was very realistic.
But off course Solos model deserves to win and he still is one of the finest modelers here on the forum.

kwistenbiebel 

Postby Marian » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:41 am

I want to thank all the people who supported me and helped me and especially voted for me, it's a great honor for me not to win anything. :roflmao: (no malice intended ;) )
Marian 

Postby plot-paris » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:38 pm

but bear in mind, Marian, that you participated in a competition alongside the great Solo! :D
(and that you gave your vote to someone else shows great maturity and wisdom)

congratulations, Solo!
you are a deserved winner. you got my vote for the magnificent boy.
but when I had a look at the model I was surprised not to find any grouping and especially no components. did you explode everything before posting it?
(I just don't believe that you do not use these methods of organisation).

oh, and for it is your right to choose the next theme: I would suggest a more specific topic so that we find loads of variations of similar objects. should be fun!
plot-paris 

Postby Marian » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:15 pm

Thanks plot, in fact i voted for you.
I'm now curious to see what is the next theme.
Marian 

Postby remus » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:16 pm

Me too, hopefully its going to be a good one.

no pressure solo :D

remus 

Postby solo » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks guys.

Plot-paris, this was a mess of a model, I went for speed, never used layers and exploded objects, hence the reluctance to upload it. :oops:

30 minutes is a very small window for any 3d modeling app, I dunno about y'all but is there anyway to move it to an hour?

And any ideas for the next theme?

I was thinking with halloween coming next month .... (still just a thought)
http://www.solos-art.com

I'm better with polys than words
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby remus » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:22 pm

I suppose we cold move it up to an hour.

I think the general standard of submissions would be raised quite a bit with the increased time. My only concern would be that people have trouble spending that much time on it.

What do you all think?

remus 

Postby Marian » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Maybe there should be 2 categories, 30 minutes and 60 minutes, they could be voted separately and then together, i know this sounds kind of complicated so it's probabably a bad idea.
Marian 

Postby remus » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Well id prefer to only have one category, i think getting enough submissions would be a problem if it started to branch out too much.

remus 

Postby Marian » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:05 pm

here's another challenge for you guys:
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-w ... e-2-a.html
Marian 

Postby plot-paris » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:59 pm

I would like to keep the time at 30 minutes. for one this underlines the purpose of a "Speed"-challenge. for another, as remus mentioned, one hour is not as easy to fit in as half an hour.

I think the separation of "Speed-Challenge" and "Design-Competition" with unlimited time, that we discussed prior to this challenge, is the best idea.

halloween sounds interesting, Solo. we will have widespread designs coming in...
plot-paris 

Postby solo » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:07 pm

I agree with the 30 minutes a you explained above, so lets leave it at 30.

Now if we are going to go with a halloween theme then commercial ruby's may need to be used like Sub-smooth. Is this allowed? as it's not a tool available to all for free and for those that own it may be seen as an advantage.

If indeed they are permitted I suggest the proxy's used needs to be available for inspection to varify resulting form.
http://www.solos-art.com

I'm better with polys than words
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby remus » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:57 pm

use whatever tools are available to you (in SU, obviously), it is perfectly possible to model very impressive things without sub smooth. As for posting the proxy, i reckon just use your common sense i.e. if the models looks a bit suspicious for whatever reason, then its probably safer to post the proxy.

With regards to the time limit, can we have a show of hands? id like to try and get a clear idea of who wants 30 mins and who wants an hour.

remus 

Postby modelhead » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:04 pm

Congrats solo....nice job guys!!

modelhead 

Postby Daniel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Congrats, Solo. And thanks to Remus, for running the competition.

So, is it official? Halloween is the theme for competition number two?
My avatar is an anachronism.
Daniel 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Competitions