Clipping Plane Plugin

General discussion related to SketchUp Pro and Make

Clipping Plane Plugin

Postby sfto1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:02 pm

Has anyone tested and/purchased Daniel Tal's Clipping Plane Plugin?
Wondering how well it works when clipping happens very close up. His video looks intriguing, but his examples still seemed far from the object being clipped.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Clipping Plane Plugin

Postby sfto1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:59 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPQi8nS2naE

I discovered a workaround, which is not as simple as a one button solution as Daniel Tal's, but its free and trying it, it seems to work fine. Not sure if it has unnoticed consequences, but it seems simple enough to reverse.

Any of you plugin masters here on sketchucation up to making one?
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:53 pm

sfto1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPQi8nS2naE

I discovered a workaround, which is not as simple as a one button solution as Daniel Tal's, but its free and trying it, it seems to work fine. Not sure if it has unnoticed consequences, but it seems simple enough to reverse.

Interesting how this is somehow "discovered" and only makes it "out there" AFTER clipping plane was released...
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:04 pm

juju wrote:

Interesting how this is somehow "discovered" and only makes it "out there" AFTER clipping plane was released...

Just for clarification sake, I didn't "discover" the workaround. I stumbled on/discovered the video by SUforyou (referenced above) when trying to find out more about Daniel's plugin.

Perplexed why, what seems to be somewhat simple, has not been made into a native tool after all these years of users struggling with clipping.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:44 pm

sfto1 wrote:
juju wrote:

Just for clarification sake, I didn't "discover" the workaround. I stumbled on/discovered the video by SUforyou (referenced above) when trying to find out more about Daniel's plugin.

Perplexed why, what seems to be somewhat simple, has not been made into a native tool after all these years of users struggling with clipping.

I probably expressed myself inadequately. I wasn't saying that you "discovered" it, but was referring to the person (-s) in the clip you linked to. Although I know them to be long time SU users and rather proficient at it as well.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Amos » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:25 am

A short question if I may, why the video to make such a small point? Why not just give a simple instruction?

Mike Amos 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:15 pm

Mike Amos wrote:A short question if I may, why the video to make such a small point? Why not just give a simple instruction?

Because we are creative people, and creative people are visual people?
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Amos » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:12 am

I am a creative person and like to think visually, that's why I like text, so much simpler and less room for waffling. Nice.

Mike Amos 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby samnorth » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:22 am

ThomThom's Camera tools has a shortcut to the camera parameters panel [SU menu->Camera->Advanced]

https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=tt_camera

samnorth 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:39 am

juju wrote:Interesting how this is somehow "discovered" and only makes it "out there" AFTER clipping plane was released...

The "Force" checkbox was added in SketchUp 2017. We've known since then.
The issue is that it is not exposed in the Ruby API, so no extension could leverage it.
I guess Daniel Tal's extension simply found a hacky way to check this box automatically, but simulating clicks or something like that. This is probably the reason it is only available on Windows.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Pro & Make Discussions