CNC time

To access this forum when logged in, please, sign up to the Woodworking User Group in your User Control Panel.

CNC time

Postby jtri » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:57 am

I purchased a small CNC, a little desk top kit form Sain Smart. Easy to assemble, easy to upgrade, inexpensive and there is a very active and helpful on line community.

https://www.sainsmart.com/products/sain ... ew_arrival

I would really like to use sketchup to model, but my quick review of the software that is compatible with sketchup to generate g code seems very limiting.
Right now I am thinking the best work flow seems to be thru fusion 360. Maybe draw in sketchup, import to fusion 360, clean up in fusion 360(?) generate g code.
Anyone gone down this path with some thoughts?

My goal is to machine small parts wood and aluminum.

Thanks
Jeff

jtri 

Re: CNC time

Postby Joe Wood » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:17 pm

I don't know what g code is Jeff but I export dxf files for my cnc shop and that's all they need to cut curved rafters?
Joe Wood 

Postby jtri » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:43 am

Joe
Your CNC shop takes your files and most likely modifies them then, then creates the tool paths needed to cut the parts. I was hoping to stay in sketch up to do that work and still might try some plugins
Jeff

jtri 

Postby Joe Wood » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:58 am

so that's g code, learned something today!
Joe Wood 

Postby Dave R » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:50 am

Have you looked at Vectric software packages? Some of them will import SKP files and others either DXF?DWG or even STL files.
Etaoin Shrdlu

%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby Glenn at home » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:37 pm

Can confirm, I have VCarve Desktop v8.5 and it can import dwg, dxf, skp, ai and so on. I have yet to try SU file but so far dwg and other vector files are usable. I use it with a Shark HD 4 CNC.
SketchUp Pro 2019
Dell Precision 3630
Intel i7-8700
32 GB Ram
512 M.2 PCIe SSD
Nvidia RTX 2080

Glenn at home 

Postby jtri » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:26 pm

Right now I am starting to play with Fusion 360 as it it free and seems to like I might not out grow it to fast. I will also look closer at VCarve. Trying to keep the costs down to make sure this is a road I want to go down. We have a large commercial CNC at work and use AlphaCam (might be getting a 5 axis soon!) but putting small stuff on it is a bit of a pain and getting time on the it is lately impossible.

jtri 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Woodworking