Some tips and tricks from out of the Box

Share or learn with the Pros

Re: Some tips and tricks from out of the Box

Postby Box » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Which do you mean by the first circle, the very first is drawn on the blue axis and is orientated that way as the camera is looking more down than horizontal. The second is the beginning of the array and is drawn on the green, once again due to the camera angle.
Both could be forced on axis by the arrow keys, up for blue, left for green, right for red.
Box 

Postby ntxdave » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:35 pm

OK - I just watched the video again, and I was wrong. For some reason I missed that you drew two circles. DUH.....

One other thing though, I see the axis showing up in different places at different times (at least that is what I think I see). Am I delusional? Is that an option to make the axis show oriented to the object you are drawing?

Are there other keyboard tricks (like the shift double click) that you can share as well?
ntxdave 

Postby Box » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:35 pm

ntxdave wrote:One other thing though, I see the axis showing up in different places at different times (at least that is what I think I see). Am I delusional? Is that an option to make the axis show oriented to the object you are drawing?

I can only imagine you are seeing the axis for the component and group when they are open for editing. There really is nothing magical going on in the gif, all just straight sketchup.
Box 

Postby ntxdave » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:34 pm

I went back and watched the first gif again and have made a mess of it. I have not used SU much lately so I need some refreshing. Can someone point me to some documentation or tutorials for using both the radial bend and thrupaint extensions? I tried to find some but have not been successful in finding anything worthwhile yet.

This is another case where I wish you could pause a gif. Some of the text in the gif goes by too quickly and I cannot read. It.

Once again Box, I think this is a wonderful thread and greatly appreciate it. :thumb:
ntxdave 

Postby Box » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:17 pm

ntxdave wrote: or tutorials for using both the radial bend

Here's the very basics of Radial bend.
You choose the direction, then the extent, then you bend it.
So click to set the protractor (click drag release if needed, or arrow keys),
Click to set the length of the bend area
then click to start the bend and click to finish the bend.
Box 

Postby ntxdave » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Once again, thanks for the reply.

The first 3 are pretty straight forward but I am really doing something wrong on the fourth one (like when you bent the paper page in the original post). I am feeling really stupid here. It is not like I have not been using SU for a good while but I am missing something curtail to the process. In particular, I think I am not getting the reference points and orientation of the bend correct.
ntxdave 

Postby Box » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Box wrote:So click to set the protractor (click drag release if needed, or arrow keys),

I have to go to bed, but it sounds like this is your issue. All four examples set the axis. The forth is setting the axis Off Axis, Click drag release to set the axis.
Box 

Postby ntxdave » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Box wrote:
Box wrote:So click to set the protractor (click drag release if needed, or arrow keys),

I have to go to bed, but it sounds like this is your issue. All four examples set the axis. The forth is setting the axis Off Axis, Click drag release to set the axis.

I am obviously missing something very key to controlling how to accomplish this (and feeling dumber by the minute).

First of all, what keys are you using to set the various points and what do you mean by "Off Axis"? In several of your steps in the four drawings I see some dashed lines. What keys are you hitting to make that show up.

My real goal here is, of course, to learn how to use the tool correctly but in particular, I want to be able to reproduce your first video in this thread with some accuracy. :cry:
ntxdave 

Postby Box » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:37 pm

I'm not hitting any keys, nothing is happening that you can't see.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to show it more plainly.
Off axis means it isn't on the green red or blue axis.
Click drag release is how you set the axis of rotation, for both the normal rotation tool and in this case fredo's.
The dotted line is a guide that appears as you use the tool, it isn't a magic wand that I'm waving.
Box 

Postby ntxdave » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:54 pm

It is just that fourth method that I am having a problem with. Bending the "page" at an angle with it winding up with one corner bent up at an angle. The other methods are pretty straight forward.
ntxdave 

Postby Box » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:06 pm

Can you rotate a single face off axis?
Off Axis.gif

It is the same process, set the angle of rotation then bend it along that angle.
But I'm to bed now.
Box 

Postby ntxdave » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks for your patience Box. I finally got it to work. Yes, I need some additional practice to learn how to control it more accurately but here is a sample I finally created.
ntxdave 

Postby Box » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:53 am

Well done, glad to see you got there.
Box 

Postby Box » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:58 am

Ok, here's another one to drive you mad.
How do you make a hollow torus from a spiral that is one continuous solid sausage.
Spiral Torus 03.jpg

Truebend by Thomthom
Box 

Postby ntxdave » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:51 am

All I can say is WOW! :thumb: :thumb:

That one will really take some studying and a WHOLE LOT of practice.
ntxdave 

Postby cotty » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:28 am

The right tools in the right hands...
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby HornOxx » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:58 pm

:shock: :shock: how is it possible to think that before even?!?? - even before you start thinking about the necessary tools for the imagined ?! :shock: I love this spiral thing !!!! :D
again so much more than the cool model idea itself :thumb: :thumb:
never trust a skinny cook
HornOxx 

Postby baz » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:46 pm

ntxdave wrote:All I can say is WOW! :thumb: :thumb:

Good. And hopefully you recognise that this thread is not meant to be a one on one tutorial.
What I think it is, is Box putting his slightly insane sketchup imagination out there.
And you are bogging him down.

But. About your questions...How about a new post.EG: 'Boxions No1'?

I"ll follow...

not a trump fan. xx
I am both an early bird and a night owl, I am some form of permanently energized dragon.
baz 

Postby ntxdave » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:11 pm

baz wrote:
ntxdave wrote:All I can say is WOW! :thumb: :thumb:

Good. And hopefully you recognise that this thread is not meant to be a one on one tutorial.
What I think it is, is Box putting his slightly insane sketchup imagination out there.
And you are bogging him down.

But. About your questions...How about a new post.EG: 'Boxions No1'?

I"ll follow...

not a trump fan. xx

SORRY!

Maybe someone can remove my posts or move them to a discussion thread.

Perhaps we could get Box to add a tip numer or name to each and then we could have a discussion thread for exact of the tip names/numbers. If that is done, maybe a monitor can move my posts/questions to the appropriate thread.
ntxdave 

Postby baz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:21 am

Just repost the gif as a post and give it a name...'How does this Box gif work' would do it...
I am both an early bird and a night owl, I am some form of permanently energized dragon.
baz 

Postby ntxdave » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:13 pm

Good point Baz but how do we clean up the junk I created in this thread so we get it back to the way it should be?
ntxdave 

Postby Box » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:28 pm

It's not that important really, I don't think there are that many people interested in the thread.
Box 

Postby baz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:00 pm

Box wrote:It's not that important really, I don't think there are that many people interested in the thread.

2000+ views, but I wonder how many are following? No way to see that info from this side I presume.
baz 

Postby jljolin » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:35 pm

I’m definitely following this thread and intend to go back and try to recreate the lessons in each gif. I didn’t find the questions and comments distracting, as some of the questions were ones I had myself!

jljolin 

Postby Box » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:26 am

I haven't recorded any interesting gifs lately but I did continue to doodle with Truebend.
So here's a render of a couple of crazy ceramic fruitbowls. Created using a version of the method shown above.
Box 

Postby pilou » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:35 am

Magical transformations! I am fan! :fro:
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Box » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:02 am

Here's a simple one, just demoing the basics of building a shape as a solid. No detail in the teeth or accurate dimensions but it was done to show the process.

Box 

Postby mrossk » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:25 pm

jljolin wrote:I’m definitely following this thread and intend to go back and try to recreate the lessons in each gif. I didn’t find the questions and comments distracting, as some of the questions were ones I had myself!

same here!

mrossk 

Postby Box » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:43 am

Sorry, not a tip or trick as such, but an experiment in mostly SUbD and Clothworks for making chain mail.
Box 

Postby rv1974 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:09 pm

What size are they?

rv1974 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp Tutorials