improvements needed.  Topic is solved

Got an idea to improve SketchUp?

improvements needed.

Postby peter cann » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am

sun a shadows system is very limited and not easy to use. being able to manually set the sun direction would be an advantage, at present depending on where sketchup thinks the model is globally located it gives you only sun , shadow options for that place. very bad. Some kind of reset model to a position you determine to be the origin would also be good. The layers system could also be greatly improved. Being able to specify what layer an object is on at the top level would be an advantage, as it is now you have to go right down through the hierarchy to the base layer an reassign from there at every stage right to the top. Very bad. I could go on an on, dont get me wrong, sketchup is a great program but there are quite a number of totally not good ideas in the way some things are done.
0

peter cann 
 

Re: improvements needed.  Topic is solved

Postby rv1974 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:37 am

Tools\North angle- for Sun direction
'Entity Info' for layer assignment
.
1

rv1974 
 

Re: improvements needed.

Postby peter cann » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:57 am

my tools rollout dosent have that sun direction, and obvious entity info but have to go right down to base level to see where it totally is, can be grouped and listed on other layers at different levels.if you have a complex model each individual line or face could be on a different layer, to re-assign you need to be able to do it a higher level when its grouped as a whole object which you cant. it still exists in the individual pieces on the different layers.
0

peter cann 
 

Re: improvements needed.

Postby rv1974 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:15 pm

Install Solar North tools.
All your raw geometry must on on layer 0, play with layers assignment on highest level.
1

rv1974 
 

Re: improvements needed.

Postby nlipovac » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:54 pm

0

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: improvements needed.

Postby Box » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:06 pm

Classic case of asking for a feature request while not understanding how the feature works.
Please read up on how layers work in sketchup.
1
User avatar
Box 
 

Re: improvements needed.

Postby Dave R » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:38 pm

I would have to agree with Box. You criticizing but clearly haven't learned how to use the features that already exist.

peter cann wrote:Some kind of reset model to a position you determine to be the origin would also be good.


This is already available in Model Info>Location.

peter cann wrote:Being able to specify what layer an object is on at the top level would be an advantage, as it is now you have to go right down through the hierarchy to the base layer an reassign from there at every stage right to the top. Very bad. I could go on an on, dont get me wrong, sketchup is a great program but there are quite a number of totally not good ideas in the way some things are done.


peter cann wrote:if you have a complex model each individual line or face could be on a different layer, to re-assign you need to be able to do it a higher level when its grouped as a whole object which you cant. it still exists in the individual pieces on the different layers.


This makes it painfully evident that you have not learned how to use correctly layers in SketchUp. There is no need to reassign everything in the "hierarchy" to the layer assigned to the top level group or component. In fact that's generally a bad idea. All edges and faces should be created on and remain on Layer 0. There can be cases where groups and components inside nested groups/components might be assigned to other layers but there's no need to assign them to the same layer their parent is assigned to. Read this.
0
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
User avatar
Dave R 
Global Moderator
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 



 

Return to SketchUp Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Visit our sponsors: