[Plugin] QuadFaceTools

Re: [Plugin] QuadFaceTools

Postby rv1974 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:08 pm

rv1974 

Postby optimaforever » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:30 pm

rv1974 wrote:judging by RizomUV promo video, it works with tris like a beast. Doesn't it?

Well, all the tools in RizomUV are based to work with quad-based geometry. with tris, the selection of edges, loops are basically a nightmare.

And... if I can avoid going to 3dsMax, I'd prefer. I'd like to find a Sketchup-based workflow, otherwise I'd simply go the Max route from the beginning. :D

optimaforever 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby optimaforever » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:29 am

For what it's worth, the dev of RizomUV says that the reattach command within RizomUV is on the TODO list.
http://forum.rizom-lab.com/thread/903/all-edges-borders-weld?page=1&scrollTo=2450

optimaforever 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kaas » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:57 am

Anyone knows if there's a way of exporting a quadFaceTools model to another program while keeping the quads logic intact - so you're not ending up with a standard triangle model? I expect not because it's a smart 'hack' by ThomThom...but hopefully I'm wrong.

I ask because apparently, in the next version of UnrealEngine they might/will support openSubDiv. If quads in SketchUp could be exported to UE that could be really nice for furniture, cars etc etc.

kaas 

Postby optimaforever » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:06 am

kaas wrote:Anyone knows if there's a way of exporting a quadFaceTools model to another program while keeping the quads logic intact - so you're not ending up with a standard triangle model? I expect not because it's a smart 'hack' by ThomThom...but hopefully I'm wrong.

I ask because apparently, in the next version of UnrealEngine they might/will support openSubDiv. If quads in SketchUp could be exported to UE that could be really nice for furniture, cars etc etc.

Did you tried with
Tools>Quadface tools>Export>OBJ format
?

optimaforever 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kaas » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:28 pm

Good tip! I just tried with the latest Unreal Engine version. OpenSubDiv is already available in the latest build (experimental-must be enabled by command line). I tested with a few models and had a lot of crashes but also some success.

It seems models imported as fbx work fine as well. Just select an imported object - go to MeshEditor - press 'Quadrangulate' and then you can add/remove subd levels.

See pic - visible in there a model by Box and Rich (from SubD examples topic) and a few tests of myself. Mapping / materials goes wrong quite often.

Curious to see at what point Epic will make it officially available with some documentation. There are already a few blueprint nodes visible in UE that suggest the subd level can be changed with scripting. OpenSubDiv in UE Could be something nice/big!

If someone has a nice/complex qft (subd) model available for testing, feel free to post or pm me.

kaas 

Postby nlipovac » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:50 pm

here you go...i am still just tinkering with UE. :-)

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kaas » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:32 am

Here you go - a very blobby stool. UV mapping distorted. No creasing (must be done manually in UE). I guess we can do a better job once the documentation is available.

kaas 

Postby nlipovac » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:43 am

It is something cool to be done inside the engine itself.
So if you fill your scene with SubD models and apply subdivision what strain it takes on an engine to make subdivision?

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby optimaforever » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:00 am

Very nice!

optimaforever 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kaas » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:54 am

nlipovac wrote:It is something cool to be done inside the engine itself.
So if you fill your scene with SubD models and apply subdivision what strain it takes on an engine to make subdivision?

See video of the 'entire process'...

kaas 

Postby lgrahm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm wondering about the qft line tool. When I divide a quad using the line tool I guess the purpose is to create two new quads? But many times it creates double faces in at least one of the new quads. Those double faces are almost impossible to spot, but they create problems when subdividing or if you want to use the line tool again to divide the double faced quad. Is this a known problem?
/Lars

lgrahm 

Postby optimaforever » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:29 am

lgrahm wrote:I'm wondering about the qft line tool. When I divide a quad using the line tool I guess the purpose is to create two new quads? But many times it creates double faces in at least one of the new quads. Those double faces are almost impossible to spot, but they create problems when subdividing or if you want to use the line tool again to divide the double faced quad. Is this a known problem?
/Lars

To avoid this, 2 solutions:
1. delete the quad surface you want to split in 2 quads , and then with the qft line tool, draw the new line.
2. use the qft connect edges tool to create 2 lines approximately and delete the one you don’t need.
If none works the way you want, try solid inspector 2, and let it try to fix the double face.

optimaforever 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby thomthom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Version 0.14.0

QuadFace Tools 0.14.0 Released

New feature: Flip by Slope

It will flip triangulated quads based on the topology flow to produce smoother shading of the surface.

FlipBySlope.gif
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby thomthom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:59 pm

optimaforever wrote:
rv1974 wrote:judging by RizomUV promo video, it works with tris like a beast. Doesn't it?

Well, all the tools in RizomUV are based to work with quad-based geometry. with tris, the selection of edges, loops are basically a nightmare.

And... if I can avoid going to 3dsMax, I'd prefer. I'd like to find a Sketchup-based workflow, otherwise I'd simply go the Max route from the beginning. :D

What do you mean by things not being "attached"? Geometry or UV?
Is this when you use QFT to export?
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby thomthom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Well, that GIF messed it up... in reality the flipped quads looks smooth.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby optimaforever » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:21 pm

thomthom wrote:
optimaforever wrote:

What do you mean by things not being "attached"? Geometry or UV?
Is this when you use QFT to export?

Hi thom,
basically it means qft exports all quads detached. So rizomUV can’t weld the geometry, which is pita.

optimaforever 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby thomthom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:15 pm

optimaforever wrote:Hi thom,
basically it means qft exports all quads detached. So rizomUV can’t weld the geometry, which is pita.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by this?

QFT writes OBJ files were the faces share vertices just as they do in SketchUp.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby optimaforever » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:48 am

thomthom wrote:
optimaforever wrote:Hi thom,

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by this?
QFT writes OBJ files were the faces share vertices just as they do in SketchUp.

Well... My evaluation period for rizomUV expired so I can't try now but here's a screencapture of my qft exported mesh in RizomUV:
Basically the mesh is cut along the quads and the edges can't be welded. If I try to weld the geometry in 3dsmax, I lose the quads and get tris.

optimaforever 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby thomthom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:56 am

I'm not sure what I'm looking at there...
I sounds like this is an issue that relate particularly to rizomUV. Though I can't really tell exactly what is going on. But I can verify that QFT exports OBJs in such a manner that the faces share vertices.
If you could find out more what is happening on the rizomUV side then I could look into whether there are some tweaks that can be done on the side of QFT.

Perhaps, do you have a model where exported from another app into OBJ works fine for rizomUV - but doesn't work when exported from QFT?
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby optimaforever » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Exact. When I create a quad mesh in Max and import in RizomUV, there's no problem, I can cut and weld along desired edges, generating UV islands easily. When imported from QFT, each quad becomes a UV island and I can't weld back the geometry, which is very disappointing. I told the dev about this and he replied that he'll try to allow welding of pre-welded imported geometry but so far no good...
So my understanding is that there's something happening when exporting obj from QFT in su side.

optimaforever 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kaas » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:56 pm

Have you tried mapping the uvs using Wrapr? Exporting Wrapr-mapped objects from SU (as fbx) works as intended for me.

kaas 

Postby optimaforever » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:08 pm

kaas wrote:Have you tried mapping the uvs using Wrapr? Exporting Wrapr-mapped objects from SU (as fbx) works as intended for me.

Well... I'm trying RizomUV because WrapR has too many limitations because of the SU 's own limitations. ;)
Did you check the RizomUV's presentation? you'll understand what I mean.

optimaforever 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby thomthom » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:32 pm

So, is it the UVs that are the issue? I can understand if that might be the issue here - as SU doesn't try to make the UV-coordinates between vertices shared. (SU saves texture position per face instead of per vertex)
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby optimaforever » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:34 pm

thomthom wrote:So, is it the UVs that are the issue? I can understand if that might be the issue here - as SU doesn't try to make the UV-coordinates between vertices shared. (SU saves texture position per face instead of per vertex)

Indeed, this could be the issue... But I'm not techy enough to be able to confirm this unfortunately.

I should try forcing a UVmap in max on the qft mesh before importing in rizomUV.
Unfortunately my evaluation period expired :-(

optimaforever 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby GoodWin_2203 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:30 am

Good day! I have a problem with the make planar tool. when I select it, an unknown error is displayed. what could be the cause of this problem? SketchUp 2018

GoodWin_2203 

Postby juju » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 am

GoodWin_2203 wrote:SketchUp 2018

kindly consider updating your profile (refer to version 2016 there) whenever changing SketchUp version
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby zooen » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi,
Could we hope for a French version of QuadFaceTools?
There is one person who knows how to do that!

I thank her in advance if she does it.

Pourrait-on espérer une version française de QuadFaceTools?
Il y a bien une personne qui sait faire cela !

Je la remercie par avance si elle s'y adonne.
zooen 

Postby pilou » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Je ne crois pas que cela soit prévu pour recevoir l'intégration de langages mais...

Il y a déjà la version en français du mode d'emploi! ;)
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Oxer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:50 pm

zooen wrote:Hi,
Could we hope for a French version of QuadFaceTools?
There is one person who knows how to do that!

I thank her in advance if she does it.

Pourrait-on espérer une version française de QuadFaceTools?
Il y a bien une personne qui sait faire cela !

Je la remercie par avance si elle s'y adonne.

I translated the plugin to Spanish language manually, you have to edit some strings in the files with a text editor ( I use BBEdit on Mac), I don't know if Thomas will give support to translations in near future.
"The result is the end what is important is the process" by Oxer
http://www.oxervision.blogspot.com/
Oxer 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins