Thea Rendering an imported OBJ

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Thea Rendering an imported OBJ

Postby sfto1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:07 pm

I imported (with TIG's .obj importer) an .obj from Xfrog to see how those models would look. A black plane behind each leaf shows up when rendering. Rendered with Presto AO engine.

Any way to get rid of black plane?
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Thea Rendering an imported OBJ

Postby Frederik » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Personally I would never import an Xfrog file to SU...
It's far too heavy on the poly side for SU to handle...
You have much better control in Thea Studio and then you can make the trees, bushes, flowers etc. as render ready models, you insert into SU as proxies...
Similar to how you can use the Xfrog libraries you can download from the Thea website...

Actually I'd advice you to download these libraries, as you'll be able to see how the materials have been set up with transparency, reflection, roughness etc...

Back to your question...
The black plane around the leaf is caused by a missing clipping map...
(The clipping map is a black and white bitmap, which comes along with the model...)

Use the Thea tool and click on the leaf and add the clipping map to the clipping channel in the Thea Material Editor... :)

Hope this can help you further...!?
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby sfto1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:22 pm

Frederik wrote:Personally I would never import an Xfrog file to SU...
It's far too heavy on the poly side for SU to handle...
You have much better control in Thea Studio and then you can make the trees, bushes, flowers etc. as render ready models, you insert into SU as proxies...
Similar to how you can use the Xfrog libraries you can download from the Thea website...

Actually I'd advice you to download these libraries, as you'll be able to see how the materials have been set up with transparency, reflection, roughness etc...

Back to your question...
The black plane around the leaf is caused by a missing clipping map...
(The clipping map is a black and white bitmap, which comes along with the model...)

Use the Thea tool and click on the leaf and add the clipping map to the clipping channel in the Thea Material Editor... :)

Hope this can help you further...!?

Thanks,

I just wanted to see what the plants might look like rendered. I like your workflow ideas, and it is now on my list of things to learn. I'm still a newbie, so this is quite helpful!
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Well I figure out how to deal with the clipping plane issue. But now I need help exporting the model so I can create a proxy for SU.

I figured out how to export model from Thea studio, but cannot figure out how to change the origin of the model so it comes in where I want it to. If I insert from Thea library the center or origin is in the middle of the model.

How do I change that, so the base of a plant or trunk sticks to the ground plane, not the middle of the plant or tree canopy?
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea