Laubwerks and Thea

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Laubwerks and Thea

Postby sfto1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:36 pm

Any ideas of why I am getting ghosted outlines from components when I render trees from Laubwerks.
I'm also seeing an outline from the Sketchup "Chris" face me.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Laubwerks and Thea

Postby JQL » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:24 pm

You're rendering interactivelly with the "In Sketchup with Edges" mode.

The countour is the actual geometry for the Laubwerk tree proxies and Steve.

Render interactivelly with the "Render in Sketchup window" mode or "render in thea window" mode. If you don't render interactivelly you'll also have no problem.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:59 am

Thanks. I'll give that a try.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:37 pm

It was set to render with SU edges. switched off and vegetation looks really good.

Thanks again.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:07 pm

You're welcome.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pinoy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:33 am

Hello, just wondering if anybody is using this workflow with laubwerk trees.
One time I need to replace laubwerk trees for sketchup presentation to a 2D textured tree.
The quickest way was to edit Laubwerk tree and paste a new 2d tree.DONE!
To my surprise when I render the 2d tree is actually the Laubwerk 3D tree in thea!
is it a good idea?Cheers

pinoy 

Postby JQL » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:59 am

The Laubwerk tree geometry you see in Sketchup belongs to a proxy.

A proxy is a component that points to an external render file that resides in your computer but has millions of polygons, high quality textures and render materials. A render asset that in this case is a Laubwerk high quality tree.

When you press render button, thea replaces the proxy geometry with the actual external asset and renders that asset.

So, it doesn't matter what you model inside the component, as it will always be replaced by the external asset at render time. That's the whole point of a proxy.

If you want to replace all Laubwerk proxies for 2D trees, you should use Sketchup's component manager to:
- Find the Laubwerk tree in the manager;
- Right click on it's icon and select all instances;
- Then find the 2D tree component you created;
- Right click on it's icon and replace selected.

This will replace the laubwerk component for your tree component, which is not a proxy so it will show up in render time exactly as it is.

NOTE: It's easier to use Selection toys plugin to choose all trees, and Component Replacer plugin to replace all components.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Hieru » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 am

Is there a way to replace the components onto a new layer without removing the proxies? So you end up with your proxy trees on one layer and 2D trees on another (all in the same position).

That would be handy when you have a project that requires a mixture of photoreal and NPR imagery.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JGA » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Hieru, how about opening the Laubwerk component, group the objects & place them on a new layer.
Then bring in your new 2D component on another layer within the proxy component.
Regards,
JGA

JGA 

Postby Hieru » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:56 pm

So having the 3D & 2D trees inside the component, but with each one grouped and assigned to a different layer? I’d prefer everything to be separate, but that would certainly work.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:26 am

And havent you considered using LW proxies. If you take away green and brown and use a tranparent material they look very good, only with their profiles.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Hieru » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:24 am

JQL wrote:And havent you considered using LW proxies. If you take away green and brown and use a tranparent material they look very good, only with their profiles.

Good point, and I agree that they look good that way....clients not so much. The NPR renders I produce are generally for clients who want imagery that’s soewhat realistic, but can’t afford the full photoreal treatment.

I personally prefer using abstract trees in NPR renders. I like the balance between the abstract nature of the trees and more realistic treatment of the subject. They also tend to make buildings appear more photorealistic than they actually are.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Couldn't resist:

This one features LW proxies without materials, only profile. Controlling transparency gives more creative results but I like white trees against paper and the focus only on the building.

elevation.jpg
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Hieru » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:04 pm

I agree - great example! :thumb:
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:49 am