Material optimization for rendering

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Material optimization for rendering

Postby utiler » Mon May 30, 2016 3:32 am

Hi guys, I'm wondering if there is rule of thumb that you guys adopt for optimizing textures and materials for rendering? I know ti may sound like a open ended question but for a good quality render for presentation at A3 or A2 size, I'm assuming the lighter my textures the quicker the render...?

Reason why is I've had a computer tied up for 50 + hours rendering an internal scene of a restaurant and still probably another few hours to go!!! [and its a reasonable system too]
purpose/expression/purpose/....
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Re: Material optimization for rendering

Postby nlipovac » Mon May 30, 2016 7:08 am

When you rendering still, in my experience, long rendering takes when is there a lot of real setup glass, to many point lights, lights intersect with geometry, heavy use of displacement maps, to many hi res models.
Lighter textures or darker textures never give me a headache, i try using normal maps instead bump and displacement maps.

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby utiler » Mon May 30, 2016 7:29 am

Thanks Nermin, there is a fair bit of glass in this scene now you mention it.

I wasn't referring to light and or dark materials rather higher resolution images being used as textures... what is suitable, w; who know?? :o

Not really sure what normal maps / displacement maps are either; maybe I need to read the manual back to front??
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby JQL » Mon May 30, 2016 10:32 am

Utiler,

Apart from what nilipovac said about complexity of geometry and specially artificial light sources not intersecting geometry, you should also be careful that your white colored materials are not pure white, specially near artificial light sources.

There is a radius in your light sources that defines the size of the emitting light sphere. That is the teorical geometry you must be sure that is not intersecting other geometry.

If you're using emitter meshes, try to reduce their number of faces. Remember every rectangle is two triangle faces (so 2 light sources) and a circle has an incredible amount of triangulation.

Also, light sources that are too small are harder to clear.

Finally take care about displacing geometry as it contributes greatly to increasing render times.

If you understand what a bump map is you'll also understand displacement and normals.

Normal maps you don't need to concert much about them in terms of performance. Normal maps are actually more accurate but difficult to achieve bumpmaps. They usually have a base blue color and are generated by software.

Displacement maps are ways of making bumpmaps have real geometry relief. They need a lot of geometry detail to work, and they work better on quads, so they only work well on faces that have a subdivided mesh.

the best example is a stone wall. If you apply a stone displacement map you have to turn a rectangle face into a rectangle grid for displacement to work properly. Thea can do that for you if you increase the subdivision value in Thea material, however, thea does it blindly and each time you increase subdivision value you increase render times and needed memory.

If you're using Presto, you also must take care of Tracing Depth. It's fundamental to render transparency correctly but increasing it a lot slows down rendering. You should use a tracing depth up to 10, and tick extended tracing box and increase the values under the box thereafter.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby nlipovac » Mon May 30, 2016 11:02 am

utiler wrote:Thanks Nermin, there is a fair bit of glass in this scene now you mention it.

I wasn't referring to light and or dark materials rather higher resolution images being used as textures... what is suitable, w; who know?? :o

Not really sure what normal maps / displacement maps are either; maybe I need to read the manual back to front??

I am not sure about how size of texture contribute to render time, what I so know is if you use textures with let's say 4K+ size it take more time to start render and you need more RAM (and vRAM if you use GPU for rendering) to place such data so it is not unusual for rendering engine to use few gigabytes of RAM. I my self when ever I have slow rendering and there is nothing special in scene in terms of heavy geometry or glass i know i messed up on lights and try to see how to fix them. :fro:

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby nlipovac » Mon May 30, 2016 11:05 am

nlipovac wrote:
utiler wrote:Thanks Nermin, there is a fair bit of glass in this scene now you mention it.

I am not sure about how size of texture contribute to render time, what I so know is if you use textures with let's say 4K+ size it take more time to start render and you need more RAM (and vRAM if you use GPU for rendering) to place such data so it is not unusual for rendering engine to use few gigabytes of RAM. I my self when ever I have slow rendering and there is nothing special in scene in terms of heavy geometry or glass i know i messed up on lights and try to see how to fix them. :fro:

As for normal maps, here is link on some few free materials with normal maps included.
:knockout: :fro:

https://www.facebook.com/skapeup/

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Mon May 30, 2016 11:07 am

I have never witnessed render times increasing per texture size, but there is certainly a lot more loading times.

Loading times also increase when there are a lot of proxies
but specially with Displacement.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Mon May 30, 2016 3:05 pm

I try to think of how large textures I use and if the detail level is actually needed for the view.
As Thea Presto uses the GPU, texture sizes can quickly fill up the RAM.
Adam Billyards Goldilocks plugin can help you find too large textures in your scene.
http://sketchucation.com/plugin/911-goldilocks

I also try to make textures with the standard sizes that fit well with computer memory like 1024px instead of 1025px for example.
Pixero 

Postby utiler » Tue May 31, 2016 2:02 am

Thank you so much, guys!!! I am always so grateful for the time SCF members give to others.....

I'm a little more educated on the subject so I'll fiddle around with a few things and see how I go.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby JQL » Tue May 31, 2016 10:07 am

I don't like to spend time reducing texture sizes. I prefer have higher definition and reuse them for every scene I can.

That spends more RAM and VRAM but I got that covered by hardware. It saves me time on material creation as I don't have to think so much.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby utiler » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:15 am

Cheers, JQL. I'm re-rendering this scene [reduced a lot of glass out of it] but still its been going for 24 hours and is about half way through ray tracing....
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea