[Q] Getting Started Questions

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[Q] Getting Started Questions

Postby Bob James » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:57 am

=========================First Question=========================
My problem, even after reading all the Skatter topics and watching the tutorials, is that I don't understand what a preset is. (Me very dumb and slow witted).

I want to add North American Grasses as well as various kinds of weeds and bushes to eventually make a scattering of them in a large field and two small "yard size" areas.

How, in simple minded terms, do I take something like the North American Grasses collection or a bush model and make them available to Skatter?

====================================Second Question==============
I understand that the Skatter Library is not intended to be a geometry library: just a library of presets. Although why can't there be a user-generated library or directory of plants and trees that can be brought (dragged?) into a scene and scatter them (or, better yet, proxies of them like the Render Only option?
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [Q] Getting Started Questions

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:22 am

Bob James wrote:How, in simple minded terms, do I take something like the North American Grasses collection or a bush model and make them available to Skatter?

Simply import them in your model like you would do with any other component, then pick them in Skatter from the "Scattered objects" rollout.

Bob James wrote:I understand that the Skatter Library is not intended to be a geometry library: just a library of presets. Although why can't there be a user-generated library or directory of plants and trees that can be brought (dragged?) into a scene and scatter them (or, better yet, proxies of them like the Render Only option?

The library will evolve and will eventually have individual objects as well as presets.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Bob James » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:44 am

Thank you, I got the impression that I had to make a preset first. I guess that's just if you want it in the library. Maybe I'll understand what a preset is as I gain more experience.
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:46 am

A preset is just an entry in the library. "Medium Grass 01 (large)" is a preset.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter