Brick wall?

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

Brick wall?

Postby aiden » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:24 pm

Is there a smart way to use Skatter to create a brick wall?
My attempts so far seem tantalizing, but can't quite make it work out.

In particular, I love the idea of being able to have five or ten different kind of bricks that populate a grid, as this can be extremely useful later when adding variety (both textural and geometric) to a brick wall render.

aiden 

Re: Brick wall?

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:30 pm

You will soon be able to pick any projection axis other than Z (X, Y, or custom). But for now you're stuck with vertical projection, so that's not ideal for a wall, as you have to rotate it 90° when you're done.

But to make a brick pattern, I'd start with a "Grid" distribution, with a 45° rotation of the grid. Then change the spacing to get what you need
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby aiden » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:02 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:You will soon be able to pick any projection axis other than Z (X, Y, or custom). But for now you're stuck with vertical projection, so that's not ideal for a wall, as you have to rotate it 90° when you're done.

But to make a brick pattern, I'd start with a "Grid" distribution, with a 45° rotation of the grid. Then change the spacing to get what you need

Why don't the rocks in this grouped, welded face stay inside the lines?
(wall is flat on ground.)

stone wall exp.JPG

aiden 

Postby aiden » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:05 pm

Here I've turned on Collisions and reduced the spacing, yet, I can't get the stones anywhere near each other, and they hang over past the welded borders of the face.
Any ideas?

stone wall 2.JPG

aiden 

Postby aiden » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:08 pm

By the time I turn down the collision size multiplier to the pint where stones are near to each other, they overlap badly without filling the face.

stone wall 3.JPG

aiden 

Postby aiden » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:14 pm

When I switch Boundary check to "size" the stones stay in the borders.
Sorry - I should have seen this earlier.

stone wall 5.JPG

Maybe because the "Boundary Check" dialogue seems immediately associated with the "Areas" section of the Skatter window,
I didn't realize it also applied to the "Host" section
which appears higher up in the window.

dialoge box 1.JPG

aiden 

Postby aiden » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:44 pm

Although every stone has the same probability (100%) some stones dominate, and other stones are either not represented at all, or appear only once.
Why is this? The green squarish components always dominate - in this case they are over 40 times more prevalent than the skinny black components.

stone wall7.JPG

aiden 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:34 pm

Hey aiden, please try the latest version, it should fix your issue : http://download.getskatter.com/
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter