Thea Proxies

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Thea Proxies

Postby skylabridges » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:45 am

Hey - could someone please explain to me about proxies! I understand that I can use external proxies, or I can turn my sketchup components into proxies which makes sketchup run faster - but what does it do for the rendering? Does it speed up this process at all? I tried making proxies out of my sketchup components on a model, but when I left it to render overnight it was still going after 15 hours (the same model with the components in it rendered in 9). I was rendering on the IR-presto(MC) option both times. Am I using the proxies in an incorrect way? Do I need to render the proxie individually first? Or a different rendering option? (I need to export shadow channels and the renderings are of the outside of a building). Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks,

S

skylabridges 

Re: Thea Proxies

Postby Frederik » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:43 pm

skylabridges wrote:...but what does it do for the rendering? Does it speed up this process at all?

Nothing, what so ever...
Proxies will enable you to render high poly models...
Even a single high poly model (like a tree) can make SU unusable, however, when using proxies, you can create a forest and still orbit around in SU...
skylabridges wrote:...but when I left it to render overnight it was still going after 15 hours (the same model with the components in it rendered in 9).

Sorry... You lost me for a minute...
Do you mean that you've rendered a scene without proxies and it took 9 hours, but when using proxies, it's still running after 15 hours...?!?

Can you show what's in the model/render...?

skylabridges wrote:I was rendering on the IR-presto(MC) option both times. Am I using the proxies in an incorrect way? Do I need to render the proxie individually first? Or a different rendering option? (I need to export shadow channels and the renderings are of the outside of a building).

Maybe it's a bit late for me... I'm very confused...

1.) No, you don't need render the proxies individually...
2.) You can render proxies with any render engine available and with the different channels available for the various engines...

Here's an example how to use proxies...
1.) If you don't have them already, download the Birch trees library and install it...
2.) Next, download the corresponding 2D SU models and move these SU files to the Thea Model library...
If you've installed the birch trees correct, they should be located in the following path (Win only):
C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\Thea Render\Models\Birch Trees I
and
C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\Thea Render\Models\Birch Trees II
(The X'es represent your name on that computer...)

When you place a birch tree in SU, you'll see that you have a 2D model, which is easy to move around with, but when you commerce a render, it will be a full high poly 3D model... :)
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby skylabridges » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks for reply. You've answered what I needed to understand most, which was, do proxies speed up the rendering process at all! And as my model is useable in sketchup still without proxies, I'll just leave it this way for now! I don't need it for trees or anything like that, it is for high poly architectural elements. :-)

Thanks for help

S

skylabridges 

Postby Frederik » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:24 pm

skylabridges wrote:I don't need it for trees or anything like that, it is for high poly architectural elements. :-)

Exactly... :thumb:
Proxies are primary to use with high poly components or when Skatter comes out, it will also be very useful...
skylabridges wrote:Thanks for help

Any time...
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea