Where to find and install insulation pattern fill

Share your SketchUp models, materials and styles

Where to find and install insulation pattern fill

Postby COOKE » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:26 pm

How do I load that insulation pattern fill material known in Autocad as 'batting' into SketchUp/Layout? That squiggly line used to depict quilt insulation.
I've found several images on the web; is it possible to simply download and save one of these straight into the SU materials folder on my Mac? Thanks

COOKE 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Where to find and install insulation pattern fill

Postby JQL » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:30 pm

COOKE wrote:How do I load that insulation pattern fill material known in Autocad as 'batting' into SketchUp/Layout? That squiggly line used to depict quilt insulation.
I've found several images on the web; is it possible to simply download and save one of these straight into the SU materials folder on my Mac? Thanks

If it's tileable you can import as material or import as image, scale to size and explode the image. The second option will create a material with correct scale whilst on the first option you have to edit the size of the material.

You should also learn about texture position on sketchup faces.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:38 pm

Also see the SKALP plugin, it handles AutoCAD patterns and such and has a built-in pattern designer/editor.

http://www.skalp4sketchup.com/
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TIG » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:52 pm

Try this one.
Learn the context-menu Texture tool for Positioning, Rotating etc on a selected face...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby COOKE » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:15 pm

Thanks for your useful suggestions. I will delve into these at the weekend. Presumably they involve loading the pattern into the materials library for future use in SU and Layout?

COOKE 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby COOKE » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:12 am

I loaded TIG's .skm file into the SU materials library, which worked just fine in SU. However, it didn't appear in Layout. So I located and saved the .skm file to the LO pattern fill library on my Mac, but it appears that LO will not open this file type.
I had had a notion that SU and LO drew on the same Materials Library, which doesn't seem to be the case (on a Mac at least).
Any suggestions for inserting the batting image into the LO pattern fill library please?

COOKE 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:16 am

You cant use Vector mode to render sketchup materials on Layout. On LO's model tab check wich render mode you have and choose Raster or Hybrid
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TIG » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:56 pm

If you want the equivalent texture-image in LO then you can't use the SKM.
But in the SKP Materials Browser use the pop-out menu to export the Material's texture-image file.
Then use that image file in LO.
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Components, Materials & Styles