[Plugin] SketchyFFD (Updated 20130203)

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby remus » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:09 am

Looks kinda like a tornado to me.not quite what you were aiming for? :P
0

remus 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby CPhillips » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:51 am

Hrmmm. Not sure why that would fail. Could you post the model?

Also. Try a 4,4,1 FFD for that mesh.

kwistenbiebel wrote:I am having trouble with the new FFD.
I made a so called 'TIN', made a 4,4,4 FFD out of it and wanted to let the surface curve upwards so I selected the points of the short outer edge and moved them up.
The FFD result however is a mesh soup.... :(

before:


after:
0

CPhillips 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby Jorgensen » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:02 pm

How does the "make Patch" work ?

When I use the default setting a get a mesh that is 762mm x 762mm. What do I do when I want it to be 20000mm x 20000mm ?
0
sketchup pro 2016 16.1.1449 64 bit | windows 10 pro | i7-3770k @3.5 GHz | 16gb ram | gtx 780 ti / gtx 980 ti | nvidia driver 368.39

Jorgensen 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby CPhillips » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:54 am

Jorgensen wrote:How does the "make Patch" work ?

When I use the default setting a get a mesh that is 762mm x 762mm. What do I do when I want it to be 20000mm x 20000mm ?


Its number of cells in either direction and the width and height for each cell. I figured it would use whatever units were set but it doesn't sound like that is the case. Its probably in inches.
0

CPhillips 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby justry » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:38 pm

I just wanted to say that your script is greaaaaaaaat Chris! Really! I was actually looking for something like this.

I was messing around trying to model an airplane, and I was trying to make the front end of the body wider, but I couldn't do it with the sketchup scale tool. I kept googling for "sketchup distort tool plugin" with no success, till I remembered coming across this thread before, so I looked for it, downloaded the script, and it WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Really great!

They should really be adding this to the functionality of the scale tool in sketchup 7. Like with a modifier key or something. You know, something like: "Alt to distort" or something like that.
0

justry 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby CPhillips » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:01 am

justry wrote:I just wanted to say that your script is greaaaaaaaat Chris! Really! I was actually looking for something like this.

I was messing around trying to model an airplane, and I was trying to make the front end of the body wider, but I couldn't do it with the sketchup scale tool. I kept googling for "sketchup distort tool plugin" with no success, till I remembered coming across this thread before, so I looked for it, downloaded the script, and it WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Really great!

They should really be adding this to the functionality of the scale tool in sketchup 7. Like with a modifier key or something. You know, something like: "Alt to distort" or something like that.


Thanks Justry!

Could you post a picture of your plane?

Chris
0

CPhillips 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby justry » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:40 pm

Well, it's still not finished, but if it looks good when I'm done (hopefully!) I'll post it!
0

justry 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby justry » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:50 pm

Well, here it is. Nothing fancy, I'm not that great a modeler :mrgreen: .

plane.png


Another picture:

plane3.png


Tweaking the body would have been a lot of work. Your script makes it a breeze!
0

justry 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby svetik » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:38 am

HI! does it work for SU 5?
0

svetik 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby CPhillips » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:07 pm

svetik wrote:HI! does it work for SU 5?


It might. I don't have SU5 so I cant test. But I don't think I use any SU6 features.
0

CPhillips 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby svetik » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:11 pm

No =((((
It just creates group with one point in it located on origin!
0

svetik 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby CPhillips » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:10 am

svetik wrote:No =((((
It just creates group with one point in it located on origin!


Alas. Sorry Svetik.
0

CPhillips 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby kwistenbiebel » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:15 am

I am experimenting some more with the FF script, making this chair into a 'lazy' one.

Original chair:




The resulting FF chair (Indigo):
The chair could have been done a lot smoother I guess. The key to do it right is getting a good triangulation before using FF. With Whaats upcoming new S+D plugin, triangulation probably will become much easier than doing it manually .





Two minor things that are difficult though:
1. when selecting a part of geometry and make it a FF group, the edges don't allign with the rest of the mesh anymore after using FF.
2. Sometimes I need to close the file and open it again, because often making a second FF operation refuses action. Maybe we need that 'update FF' option back ?

Besides my little comment, I really love the FF script.
Thank you Chris for making it.
Guys like you make it worth to keep on using Sketchup.

Regards,
Kwistenbiebel
0
Last edited by kwistenbiebel on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kwistenbiebel 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby kwistenbiebel » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:19 pm

kwistenbiebel wrote:... 1. when selecting a part of geometry and make it a FF group, the edges don't allign with the rest of the mesh anymore after using FF....


An example:
0
Last edited by kwistenbiebel on Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwistenbiebel 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby GreenToaster » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:45 pm

when selecting a part of geometry and make it a FF group, the edges don't allign with the rest of the mesh anymore after using FF.
I find this also - which is why I requested the "locked edge/edges" function earlier.

So, I still use the script anyway by simply grouping adjoining geometry that I don't want changed, then hand stitching it after using FFD. This seems to do the trick and works out very nicely.
0
If you really want something you won't ever stop pursuing it.

GreenToaster 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby CPhillips » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:05 pm

Locked edges is on my list for next version.

I am not sure about the the other problem. The kink in the chair looks strange but not unexpected given the FFD groups you used. The FFD only moves entities inside the group.

How would you have liked it to work?
0

CPhillips 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby GreenToaster » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:38 pm

I think the real problem is not the script, it's the guy that sat on the chair - he needs to loose a few . . .
0
If you really want something you won't ever stop pursuing it.

GreenToaster 
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby CPhillips » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:06 pm

Here is a quick attempt at locked edges. Its clumsy but seems to work.

How:
-Create a FFD as usual.
-Open the FFD group and select the edges you want to lock. If you select a face it will lock all edges.
-Right click FFD->Lock edges. FFD->Unlock edges speaks for itself.

Now locked edges shouldn't move when you FFD.

Chris

0

CPhillips 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby kwistenbiebel » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:56 pm

CPhillips wrote:I am not sure about the the other problem. The kink in the chair looks strange but not unexpected given the FFD groups you used. The FFD only moves entities inside the group.

How would you have liked it to work?


Just like it works now :)
The ability to lock edges combined with a good triangulation before applying FF will solve it.

I will remake that chair once S+D is out, so we can have a clean triangulated mesh before applying FF.

Great work on that 'lock edges' option. Very useful upgrade chris :thumb: .
0

kwistenbiebel 
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby dolphus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:15 pm

i downloaded and installed FFD but when i go to use it it does not ask if i want 2d or 3d if i continue it generated a flat matrix which i cannot do anything with what am i doing wrong?
0

dolphus 
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby remus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:45 pm

Did you group your geometry, right click and navigate thorugh the ffd menu to the bit where it has the option to change mesh size?
0

remus 
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby GreenToaster » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:11 pm

For others who may be new to this

1 - put the script in the following directory/folder (or find the equivalent):
C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp 6\Plugins

2 - create some geometry

3 - create a group from the geometry

4 - select the group, right click, FFD, select a suitable option

I've also found to it necessary to create a new FFD "box of control points":
A - delete the existing "box of control points"
B - explode the group
C - create the group again - this is ultra-quick & easy b/c the entities in the group will remain selected when you explode the group - leave them selected so creating the group again is a simple & quick shortcut
D - do step 4 (above)

Hope this helps - love that script.
0
If you really want something you won't ever stop pursuing it.

GreenToaster 
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby dolphus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanx Rremus it is working now :ecstatic:
0

dolphus 
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby dolphus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:21 pm

thanx gren Toaster i will start workijng with it and let you know how i progress :thumb:
0

dolphus 
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby Fletch » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:51 pm

Thanks for the update with locking edges, Chris! A thousand blessings upon you for your work and generosity to this community!
0

Fletch 
Twilight Render
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby remus » Fri May 09, 2008 6:58 am

Hey chris, would it be possible to incorporate a subdivision element in to FFD? i reckon itd be really useful to be able to subdivide geometry before using FD, as you often dont get good results otherwise.

No pressure though, im sure i cna manage using whaats subd for the moment :P
0

remus 
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Free Form Deformation)

Postby CPhillips » Fri May 09, 2008 11:43 pm

remus wrote:Hey chris, would it be possible to incorporate a subdivision element in to FFD? i reckon itd be really useful to be able to subdivide geometry before using FD, as you often dont get good results otherwise.

No pressure though, im sure i cna manage using whaats subd for the moment :P


Alright. Now when you do a NxN there is an option to subdivide.

See first post for download link.
0
Last edited by CPhillips on Sat May 10, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

CPhillips 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Updated May 9 2008)

Postby remus » Fri May 09, 2008 11:56 pm

Wow, this is liek on demand ruby! cheers chris, im sure this will be even more useful than it was before!
0

remus 
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Updated May 9 2008)

Postby Daniel S » Sat May 10, 2008 12:00 am

Thank you Chris!!! :D :D It´s fantastic!!!

A bug... the 2x2 FFD or 3x3FFD is not working:
Error: #<ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments(2 for 3)>
C:/Archivos de programa/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SketchyFFD.rb:13:in `startFFD'
C:/Archivos de programa/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SketchyFFD.rb:13
C:/Archivos de programa/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SketchyFFD.rb:13:in `call'

Daniel S
0

Daniel S 
 

Re: [Plugin] SketchyFFD (Updated May 9 2008)

Postby CPhillips » Sat May 10, 2008 12:14 am

Daniel S wrote:Thank you Chris!!! :D :D It´s fantastic!!!

A bug... the 2x2 FFD or 3x3FFD is not working:
Error: #<ArgumentError: wrong number of arguments(2 for 3)>
C:/Archivos de programa/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SketchyFFD.rb:13:in `startFFD'
C:/Archivos de programa/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SketchyFFD.rb:13
C:/Archivos de programa/Google/Google SketchUp 6/Plugins/SketchyFFD.rb:13:in `call'

Daniel S

Ooops. Fixed now.
0

CPhillips 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 

PreviousNext


 

Return to Plugins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ndebarmore, NNIICCKK, perlavg and 12 guests

Visit our sponsors: