(TRICK) To re-enable skp file preview

Share or learn with the Pros

Re: (TRICK) To re-enable skp file preview

Postby setesur1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:59 am

Good morning.

I would like to comment that you lace them for unloading, they are not illegal.

The drawees of the page are in the position of the author.

June 18, 2010 - Version 2,17 liberated.

2,17 liberated by the very author correspond to the version.

I do not want them to misinterpret words to me, but my Englishman is very bad.

You do it very well at this forum.
I enchant myself and I learn of yours.

It is not necessary to put the forum in harm's way, bringing illegal programs.

I think than if the author takes it for free .Es it's good that we all know it.

Can you consult the author?, On the version 2,17, that the present-day version is not 2,2,4

MysticThumbs

The definite image of the miniature generator of Windows Explorer.
Windows 7, Vista and XP of Windows that you admit - x86 and x64.

Types of file admitted

UDC, TGA, DDS, TIFF, DNG *, PDF, AI *, * PS, EPS *, PCX, PICT, JBIG, JPEG2000, PBM, SGI, RGB, the Forum Mayan *, Sketchup SKP * * Google and SKM , WMF and EMF and more.

* The version 2 from now on

What doing ?

MysticThumbs generates miniatures of the types of imagery than many borne natively by Windows. You make it out of transparent form and in the background for Explorer for what an independent application form for a preview of imagery does not have to execute.

Explorer receives treatment of a native plugin of Windows that it means that you do not have to do nothing more than moving in. This means that you do not have no new interface that to learn, to think or to accomplish any transaction with.

You get the thumbnails for Photoshop, Targa, TIFF, DNG House, PCX, Windows Metafile, JPEG 2000, Maya, Google Sketchup, and many other formats, as well as based imagery Postscript *

In order to get a complete list from compatible imagery to install the version of proof and check the control panel.

* If Ghostscript is installed

Characteristics

MysticThumbs has a control panel that he allows to adjust the configuration of miniature generation, as well as accomplishing a series of another shows.

The transparency of support. You generate miniatures for each format of file that MysticThumbs can define the way:
There is no transparency
Reveal - so that the folder, of table, behind the miniature appear
Damero - you give him a backdrop behind the miniature emblems that you show the areas or reveal transparent.
The maximum size of the image - the improvement of the performance to avoid the generation of miniatures for too big imagery. Definable for each kind of file.
Scale Up - it enables the generation of miniatures of complete size for Vista for little imagery and Windows 7 for imagery in more big miniature than the one belonging to the image.
I smashed miniature obvious - I smashed it of entire miniatures to deactivate easily.
Going back to charge the image Per - charging the miniature image of imagery if necessary.
Transparency of the image Per utilize this option of contextual menu to replace the predeterminate configuration - some imagery might not to conform with transparency options by default for that type of image -.
Equipamiento's folder icon.
Dress and Windows 7 no going back to charge the icon of folder for the image's folders very well.
Utilize the option of bringing up to date in a folder to update the imagery of the folder and your icon.
The generated miniatures of imagery update his icon of principal folder themselves automatically.
Tray of system applcation to report that miniatures are being generated by MysticThumbs. I access the control panel quickly for the options.
Leant Windows type improves her of image. MysticThumbs can replace the configuration predetermined of Windows that you admit the types of image ( jpeg, gif, tiff ) in order that you may obtain MysticThumbs's benefits characteristic such like the transparency, the maximum size of image, etc
Location - 15 borne idioms.
News

June 18, 2010 - Version 2,17 liberated.

Please, give the problems information about e-mail at the bottom inferior of this page to help to make better MysticThumbs.

He right now is free.

A greeting to SketchUcation

I removed the direct links to the downloads. They where out of date. He's got regular updates, so it's best to just link to his site. Also, it's good manners not to hotlink other sites resources + it's Donationware so I'm sure he'd like people who download to actually read about the product and see the donation button.

I agree totally with you.

setesur1 

Postby Ecuadorian » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Any alternatives to Mystic Thumbs? I tried it and it gave me a couple of problems including freeze-ups... so if you guys have found any other way, I would be grateful to know it.

Also, it seems that Mystic Thumbs does not uninstall completely, as I still have some thumbnails it generated and now I'm in a worse situation than before installing it, as now I can't see thumbnails in the File > Open window, whereas before I was always able to see thumbnails in this window.

Ecuadorian 

Postby Jim » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:49 pm

I've heard, but haven't used http://www.xnview.com/
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby Brodie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:24 pm

xnview works very well, but it does require a bit of a workflow change that I just couldn't get used to. Basically you have to start using it rather than windows explorer to see the thumbnails. It's worth a shot if Mystic Thumbs didn't work for you (which is what I use on my Win7 machine).

-Brodie
Brodie 
Top SketchUcator

Re: (TRICK) To re-enable skp file preview - I GOT IT!

Postby mooshonov » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:57 am

I GOT IT!!!
my machine is win 7 ultimate 32 bit
su 8

All i had to do is to change the name of the exe on program files/google/google sketchup 8/sketchup.exe
TO: "Google SketchUp 8"[.EXE] and it worked! i can see now thumbnail of all skp files!

hope this was helpful for ya'll

shalom!

Moshe.

mooshonov 

Postby Brodie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Very weird. I haven't tried it yet. How'd you think to try that?

-Brodie
Brodie 
Top SketchUcator

Postby thomthom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Brodie wrote:Very weird. I haven't tried it yet. How'd you think to try that?

-Brodie

He's using 32bit windows.
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Brodie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Oh, i didn't catch that. Thanks

-Brodie
Brodie 
Top SketchUcator

Postby halroach » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:18 am

I recently came across sage thumbs (free) which uses XNview libraries to view thumbnails right in explorer in windows 7 64bit.
http://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/

It works well with PSD files, and all sorts of others, but skp files don't seem to be supported yet. I tried contacting the developer of sage thumbs (I think I contacted the right guy) and he just forwarded me to the xnview forums...
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19690&p=82964#p82964

It seems like someone is trying to get skethcup to be supported, but I can't quite figure out where it's standing right now, I'll keep at it. anyway, If anybody else would like to pour their two cents into those forums to get it going... go for it!
halroach 

Postby thomthom » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:44 am

Halroach wrote:I recently came across sage thumbs (free) which uses XNview libraries to view thumbnails right in explorer in windows 7 64bit.
http://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/

It works well with PSD files, and all sorts of others, but skp files don't seem to be supported yet. I tried contacting the developer of sage thumbs (I think I contacted the right guy) and he just forwarded me to the xnview forums...
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19690&p=82964#p82964

It seems like someone is trying to get skethcup to be supported, but I can't quite figure out where it's standing right now, I'll keep at it. anyway, If anybody else would like to pour their two cents into those forums to get it going... go for it!

MysticThumbs got .SKP support. Even .SKM - and lots more: http://mysticcoder.net/mysticthumbs.html
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby halroach » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:30 am

thomthom wrote:MysticThumbs got .SKP support. Even .SKM - and lots more: http://mysticcoder.net/mysticthumbs.html

Mystic Thumbs isn't free... and following this thread, it seems like some people are suffering from OS performance issues after installing...
I've got Sagethumbs running, with no aparent problems yet, other than the iny tiny issue that it doesn't support skp or skm :D
halroach 

Postby thomthom » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:35 am

I use MysticThumbs - well worth it the the amount of file formats it support. There are so many other applications that doesn't provide thumbnails for 64bit systems.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Brodie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:54 pm

I'd second Thomthom's mystic thumbs recommendation. It's not free but it's the sort of software you can buy super cheap and then forget about. It just works. I've been using it for a couple years now.

I tried sage and I tried getting used to xnview and some other softwares but in the end I found that if I couldn't have thumbnails within explorer and I had to keep fiddling around with a program to try to get it to do what I wanted, it wasn't going to work. With mystic, you don't have to change your workflow or anything.

-Brodie
Brodie 
Top SketchUcator

Postby baz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:37 am

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned. Adobe Bridge, part of the CS suite, will preview skp. files.
I am both an early bird and a night owl, I am some form of permanently energized dragon.
baz 

Postby geomp » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:55 am

baz wrote:Just in case it hasn't been mentioned. Adobe Bridge, part of the CS suite, will preview skp. files.

No it doesn't.

Not on my Mac.

What's the best solution for Mac?

geomp 

Postby baz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:44 am

geomp wrote:
baz wrote:Just in case it hasn't been mentioned. Adobe Bridge, part of the CS suite, will preview skp. files.

No it doesn't.

Not on my Mac.

What's the best solution for Mac?

It had to happen sometime: Windows=1, Mac=0 :ecstatic:

"What's the best solution for Mac?" Why that's obvious ;)
I am both an early bird and a night owl, I am some form of permanently energized dragon.
baz 

Postby driven » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00 am

geomp wrote:What's the best solution for Mac?

check out Jeff's earlier post, GraphicConvertor.app is still the best solution I'm aware of...

john
learn from the mistakes of others, you may not live long enough to make them all yourself...

driven 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby brookefox » Sat May 19, 2012 12:12 am

baz wrote:Adobe Bridge, part of the CS suite, will preview skp. files.

Doesn't work for me; Vista 64, Bridge CS5 4.0.4.2.

Any particular settings, etc.?
~ Brooke
brookefox 

Postby baz » Sat May 19, 2012 1:19 am

Hi Brooke, no particular settings. Windows 7 pro. CS5 4.05.11.

bridge skip previews.jpg
baz 

Postby brookefox » Sat May 19, 2012 1:44 am

Well, that's weird and not good. I'll have to continue this slog.

Thanks for getting back.

skp preview-1.JPG

I can find no mention of skp support anywhere in the prog or searching 'adobe bridge supported file formats skp sketchup' variants.

You got a super bridge.

adobe bridge skp preview-2.JPG
~ Brooke
brookefox 

Postby penumbra » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:12 am

in Windows 7, at least on my machine, if you browse to a folder containing Sketchup files with say, internet explorer, the icons magically reappear.

penumbra 

Postby broomstick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:41 pm

penumbra wrote:in Windows 7, at least on my machine, if you browse to a folder containing Sketchup files with say, internet explorer, the icons magically reappear.

That IS weird. Normal explorer windows won't show preview. Explorer window from brows in internet explorer? There you go!

Any registry hack we can think of to replicate the behaviour?
broomstick 

Postby thomthom » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:19 pm

If you use the File Dialogs of 32bit applications (such as for instance SketchUp) you will see thumbnails - because SketchUp only ship 32bit thumbnailer. I'm guesssing you're starting the 32bit version of IE instead of the 64bit version.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby penumbra » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:28 pm

@ ThomThom. Yep. running the 32 bit IE. don't know why that is since i have 64 bit Win7...

penumbra 

Postby thomthom » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:33 pm

penumbra wrote:@ ThomThom. Yep. running the 32 bit IE. don't know why that is since i have 64 bit Win7...

Think it's default as browser extensions are mainly available in 32bit... ...just guessing.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby broomstick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:49 pm

thomthom wrote:
penumbra wrote:@ ThomThom. Yep. running the 32 bit IE. don't know why that is since i have 64 bit Win7...

Think it's default as browser extensions are mainly available in 32bit... ...just guessing.

you're right!
broomstick 

Postby pieterv » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:37 pm

I don't understand this. I think the solution should be out there somewhere.

I have two computers. Both running exactly the same version of Windows 7 64-bit. On my older machine, I have sketchup thumbnails in Adobe Bridge CS 5 and windows explorer. (although I remember it also didn't work a few years ago)

On my more recent machine I have no thumbnails in both windows explorer and Adobe Bridge CS 6 (Except on one occasion strangly enough: I saved a sketchup file on my desktop and a thumbnail for this file was visible in Bridge CS 6.) It looks like this thumbnail thing is a ghost that is out there but no one really can grab. :-)

Maybe I'll try to reinstall Sketchup completely...
pieterv 

Postby pieterv » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Ok, I think I have found a solution to my problem. When I use Adobe Bridge CS6 32-bit (instead of the 64-bit version) and I select the thumbnails I want to see, I right-click on them and I choose "purge chache for selection" all the thumbnails magically reappear! :-)

In windows explorer the thumbnails are still invisible, but that's ok for me, since I don't really use explorer for this kind of stuff.

I am really not sure but I think this might have something to do with running Ccleaner and the option under "Windows Explorer" named "Thumbnail Cache". But I might be wrong. I'll uncheck this option from now one, just to be sure...
pieterv 

Postby slbaumgartner » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:58 am

driven wrote:
geomp wrote:What's the best solution for Mac?

check out Jeff's earlier post, GraphicConvertor.app is still the best solution I'm aware of...

john

As a new Mac convert, I was frustrated by the lack of QuickLook thumbnails for SketchUp files, and worse, on my Mac QuickLook tried to treat the file as text, taking a long time and then displaying a huge amount of useless hexadecimal data. So I decided to see if there was a simple solution. Here's what I came up with.

First of all, although SketchUp saves a PNG format thumbnail inside each file (containing the last view you had open), and has Ruby API calls to generate thumbnails, these images are only 128 pixels wide. For a model of even modest complexity, this makes the image so distorted and blurry that it is useless. So, the first requirement was to create a better image for the file. To do this, I wrote the little Ruby plugin attached. It creates an observer that causes SketchUp to save a jpeg image of the current view each time you save a file. I set the image to 800x600 at a moderate level of compression to make it big and clear enough to see but not gigantic in size. You can easily edit the Ruby if you want a different size. The image has the same base name as the SketchUp file but with extension ".pv.jpg". There is a delay to export the image as you save a file; depending on the complexity of the model you might or might not notice.

Second, I wrote a little QuickLook generator, also attached, that looks for the image to go with a SketchUp file and tells the system to use it as a thumbnail. SketchUp does not (at this time) register its own UTI for its files, so OS X creates a dynamic UTI for them. I put the dynamic UTIs for skp and skb files in the info.plist for this generator. I am led to believe that these should be the same on all Macs, so hopefully they will work for everyone. With this generator, the thumbnail image is displayed for any file that has one and the SketchUp icon for files that do not.

To implement my system, copy the Ruby plugin into your plugins directory (~/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp 8/SketchUp/Plugins) and copy the QuickLook generator into ~/Library/QuickLook. Note: by default the Finder hides your Library folder, but you can get there using the Go->Go To Folder menu in Finder. Also, you may need to restart the QuickLook system by rebooting or, if you are bolder, running qlmanage -r in a terminal window.

Despite the name of the generator, it actually creates a thumbnail, not a preview. After working on this it struck me that given a well-detailed thumbnail, there was really no need for a preview. If you want to go beyond the thumbnail, you can just open the file in SketchUp.

As I mentioned, I am new to Mac, so I don't know all the ins and outs of making this portable. I compiled the generator on a MacBook Pro under Mountain Lion, and I am not sure whether it will work on a non-Intel Mac or on an older version of the OS, as I have access to neither. If it won't run on your system, PM me and I'll be happy to send you the source code.

Steve

slbaumgartner 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Aerilius » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:17 am

Great!
Now we have work-arounds for everyone (and it's up to Trimble to raise their product).
You can get nice transparent previews (as in this video) if you temporarily disable ground and sky
and set the option :transparent => true.

Aerilius 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp Tutorials