Speed Modeling Challenge #48 - Future Transportation (1hr)

Speed Modeling Challenge #48 - Future Transportation (1hr)

Postby boofredlay » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Anthony (cj_sniper), our winner of the Jewelry Challenge suggested Futuristic Transportation and requested a 1 hour time for this challenge. This sounds like a good one and I hope will produce some great models.

The Official SketchUcation Community Forum Modeling Challenge Rules:

• For this challenge you will have 60 min. maximum for modeling and adding textures.
    Your time spent is on the honor system, if you cheat you are only cheating yourself.
  • You can use an unlimited amount of preparation time for thinking, sketching, researching, collecting textures or scratching your head but NOT FOR MODELING. Again, this is on the honor system.
  • Only one (1) entry will be allowed so choose you subject wisely and make it count.
    If you post up more than one entry it will be removed.
  • For your submission please provide:
    1. A textured image.
    2. A hidden line or xray/hidden line image.
  • Your image is to be SketchUp output only.
    • Yes you can use the SketchUp Styles.
    • No you cannot post a rendering using Twilight, Thea, Vray etc…
  • A maximum 1000w x 800h pixel image is allowed.
    If you post any larger your image will be removed.
  • Finally, as enthusiastic as some of you are about rendering and sharing please do not post any renderings in the gallery or post models in the component forums until the competition is over as they could solicit votes.

The textured image will be used for the voting element of the challenge unless the wireframe or xray
view shows the model in better detail in which case both images will be used for all entries.
The community will vote for their favorite entry once the competition has ended and the winner will
choose the next theme.

Have Fun!

Competition closes on January 24th 2011 at 2pm GMT
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Re: Speed Modeling Challenge #48 - Future Transportation (1h

Postby MajorFleischer » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Next try! :berserk:

skateboard_s.jpg

skateboard_wire_s.jpg

And don't ask, how it works! :mrgreen:

MajorFleischer 

Postby hellnbak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:18 pm

Not entering your contest (much too slow) but wanted to give a big :thumb: for showing one of the vehicles from Riven (I think it's from Riven, definitely from one of the Myst series games). IMHO this game series remains one of the best ever created. They made you really think, instead of trying to blow your opponent's brains out. Or you could just sit back and enjoy the incredible scenery and graphics, and listen to some of the haunting music. Absolutely no rush, no time limit. I doubt this sort of thing would appeal to very many people nowadays, what with no weapons or anyone getting killed. And that's kinda sad. :roll:

"Politicians are just like diapers -- they need to be changed often, and for the same reason"
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby david_h » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:50 pm

MajorFleischer wrote:Next try! :berserk:

And don't ask, how it works! :mrgreen:

I know exactly how it works. . . the principle involved didn't work out so well for the him, tho!
If I make it look easy. . .then it probably is.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby hellnbak » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:02 pm

David_H wrote: I know exactly how it works. . . the principle involved didn't work out so well for the him, tho!

:roflmao:

Obvious question -- how is it that the Coyote could afford to buy all that "Acme" stuff but couldn't afford to buy anything to eat?
"Politicians are just like diapers -- they need to be changed often, and for the same reason"
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby david_h » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:58 pm

it was all for the thrill of the hunt.. . and the the thrill of the "off the cliff free-fall", and the sensation of slabs of sandstone falling on one's head and the trips to the emergency room, etc.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby mukul.ar » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:31 pm

David_H wrote:the principle involved didn't work out so well for the him, tho!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

And i just noticed there are 2 davidh's!

Very clean model MajorFleischer...

mukul.ar 

Postby boofredlay » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:22 pm

hellnbak wrote:Not entering your contest (much too slow) but wanted to give a big :thumb: for showing one of the vehicles from Riven (I think it's from Riven, definitely from one of the Myst series games). IMHO this game series remains one of the best ever created. They made you really think, instead of trying to blow your opponent's brains out. Or you could just sit back and enjoy the incredible scenery and graphics, and listen to some of the haunting music. Absolutely no rush, no time limit. I doubt this sort of thing would appeal to very many people nowadays, what with no weapons or anyone getting killed. And that's kinda sad. :roll:

I agree with you completely. I absolutely love the Myst games. You can actually get Myst and Riven for $6 here. I am going to go through them again with my daughter.
And you are right that is a vehicle from Riven; the Maglev car.
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Postby david_h » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:55 pm

And i just noticed there are 2 davidh's!

I know--kinda sux really--as if I don't have enough identity and self esteem issues

actually. . .I am the evil David_H.

well not really . . . I am a pretty good guy--I just can't model worth a @!@*&^ in 30 mins.
. :mrgreen:

Should I change my Nom de plume?
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby android no. 12 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Holy smokes :O

Really not used to time limits. this is my first speed modelling challenge, and that time really does fly!

this one's for the not-so-happy future. for the zombie apocalypse, nuclear meltdown, worldwide natural disasters, or when the fuel runs out.

I wanted to do one drawn by an animal, but making natural forms takes me ages. I even had to rush this one throughout

flints.jpg

flints2.jpg

android no. 12 

Postby hellnbak » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:57 am

Boofredlay wrote: I agree with you completely. I absolutely love the Myst games. You can actually get Myst and Riven for $6 here. I am going to go through them again with my daughter.

Yeah, they were (and still are) great. I've got the whole series, but haven't played them for a couple of years. Need to get them installed on my new computer, although from what I've read there might be a problem getting some of them to work with Win7. Might have to just move one of my XP machines out here for that.
Going back even further (we're talking about the days of the Commodore, almost 25 years ago) there were the old "text adventures", like Zork and all the others I can't remember the names of. No graphics at all, just text. Try to get a kid interested in that nowadays!!
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby boofredlay » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:54 pm

You are right again. I could not install Myst or Riven on my Win7. I do have End of Ages installed however. I have not tried to install Exile, Uru or Revelation.
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Postby mitcorb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:01 pm

@hellnbak:
You said "Obvious question -- how is it that the Coyote could afford to buy all that "Acme" stuff but couldn't afford to buy anything to eat?" Look at Alan Fraser's most recent Signature.
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby cj_sniper » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:48 pm

Actually, I expected a more serious reaction (topic - fertile)
I thought will fall concepts, ideas, and here there is nothing futuristic do not see
cj_sniper 

Postby boofredlay » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:52 pm

Don't pass judgement cj, there is still plenty of time.
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Postby bmike » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 pm

hellnbak wrote:
Boofredlay wrote: I agree with you completely. I absolutely love the Myst games. You can actually get Myst and Riven for $6 here. I am going to go through them again with my daughter.

Yeah, they were (and still are) great. I've got the whole series, but haven't played them for a couple of years. Need to get them installed on my new computer, although from what I've read there might be a problem getting some of them to work with Win7. Might have to just move one of my XP machines out here for that.
Going back even further (we're talking about the days of the Commodore, almost 25 years ago) there were the old "text adventures", like Zork and all the others I can't remember the names of. No graphics at all, just text. Try to get a kid interested in that nowadays!!

get off my lawn! damned kids. these days.
imagine a game that had less text than most kids use in a month texting each other.
zork? wow. that takes me back.

i did enjoy myst. and a bit of riven(sp?), but i really got sucked into the early zelda series.
of course, there was also d&d, car wars, dc comics role playing, war simulations, etc. etc.
all good.
all with far less graphic intensity than today.
but relied way more on the creative capability of the players.

anyway.
bmike 

Postby Dan Rathbun » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:05 am

bmike wrote:
hellnbak wrote:Going back even further (we're talking about the days of the Commodore, almost 25 years ago) there were the old "text adventures", like Zork and all the others I can't remember the names of. No graphics at all, just text. Try to get a kid interested in that nowadays!!

zork? wow. that takes me back.

The company was Infocom. I'm not sure if they are still around.

I have both Zork III and Cutthroats for PC in the closet (all original packaging.) Have not yet tried to run them on later versions of Windows. There is the possibility of making shortcut (PIF) files that run them in compatibilty modes. As I recall these were compiled back in the old 8bit / 16bit days.

Problem is that Windows used to come with a Virtual Machine installed (emulated a i486-DX66 with a simple VGA.) I think they removed it for XP and later, and made it a separate pro product for software developer's.
    I'm not here much anymore. But a PM will fire email notifications.
    Dan Rathbun 
    PluginStore Author
    PluginStore Author

Postby boofredlay » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Ok people, only 11 days left and we only have 2 entries. It would be a shame if this one fell flat as this is a great subject.
    boofredlay 
    Global Moderator

Postby tridem » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:54 pm

I have a question...
    Working on the textures eg. drawing labels with text, on external 2D apps, has to being included in the 60 minutes or not?
    tridem 

Postby Gaieus » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:04 pm

I'd say preparing textures is no included in that 60 minutes but best would be to hear Eric's opinion.
    Gaieus 

Postby Marian » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:28 pm

I may make something for this competition, but oddly I haven't had any interesting ideas lately on this subject. Hopefuly that will change in the next week. :D
    Marian 

Postby boofredlay » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:09 pm

tridem wrote:I have a question...
    Working on the textures eg. drawing labels with text, on external 2D apps, has to being included in the 60 minutes or not?

No, only manipulation of the textures while in SU. Create as many unique textures as you like.
    boofredlay 
    Global Moderator

Postby gilles » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:34 pm

Let's fly.
    " c'est curieux chez les marins ce besoin de faire des phrases "
    gilles 
    Top SketchUcator

Postby boofredlay » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:59 pm

:thumb: Fun.
    boofredlay 
    Global Moderator

Postby boofredlay » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:21 am

I call it DragonFly
    boofredlay 
    Global Moderator

Postby david_h » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:06 pm

can i just re-enter my George Jetson car from SC#13? (Spaceships)? it was a big loser then, but it might get better play now. :mrgreen:
    david_h 
    Top SketchUcator

Postby cj_sniper » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Eric - that`s what i mean!!!! AWESOME!!!!
    cj_sniper 

Postby boofredlay » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Thanks Anthony.
    boofredlay 
    Global Moderator

Postby Box » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Apart from the outlandish paint job, (me playing quickly with a paint program on my tablet) this has a basis in science possibility.

It the new Segway, designed for one but could probably carry two and has a luggage platform at the rear for your shopping.
    It uses a superconductor disk for levitation and electromagnets to produce propulsion. It would require magnetic tracks to run on but they could be like bicycle tracks or built into floors in large buildings, airports etc.
    Box 

Postby boofredlay » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:45 pm

A jet ski for land, love it!
    boofredlay 
    Global Moderator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
    Robot

Next

Return to Competitions