2d Tools Fillet

General discussion related to SketchUp Pro and Make

2d Tools Fillet

Postby Ben Ritter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:06 pm

When I try to fillet 2 lines, all the connected lines disappear when I select the 2nd line. Is this a bug?

Thank you.

Sorry, just realized this should be in the Ruby forum.

Ben Ritter 

Re: 2d Tools Fillet

Postby Dave R » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:13 pm

No. It's a unique feature. :D

Actually, I haven't seen that. Could you post an example SKP file or at least a screen grab or two?
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby Ben Ritter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:23 pm

Here you go. I was trying to fillet the top edges of the handrail on the ramp.

SU 8.0.4811

Thanks. Ben

Ben Ritter 

Postby Dave R » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:29 pm

See the attached. Is that what you were trying to do? It just did it for me alright.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby Ben Ritter » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:36 pm

Yes Dave, but I just tried it again on the one at the other end and it wiped out all my linework. Using a 3" radius.

I've used the tool and I know it's not complicated and has worked just great before. ???

Ben

Ben Ritter 

Postby Dave R » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:46 pm

Strange. I've done that end with no problem either.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby liquid98 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:47 pm

Exactly the same problem here ...
Things that flourish fall into decay. This is not-Tao, And what is not-Tao soon ends ~ Lao tse
liquid98 

Postby TIG » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:57 pm

What problem? :?
Dave and I have both done it just fine...
It will erase lines that are not needed for faces - like a trim/extend function BUT can you do a step by step description of what you do to 'break it' - this tool has been around for years and it's the first report like this [twice?] :roll:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby liquid98 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi TIG,

The problem started when I moved from a XP machine to my new laptop which runs windows 7. So I went back to the XP machine, and on XP ,2D-fillet works fine.

I simply copied all the plugins from the XP-plugins directory to windows7-plugins directory.
So I have exactly the same files belonging to 2D-Tools on XP and windows7.

All the other plugins work fine, as far as I've tested them..

This is what I did to produce the error:

-Draw a 2D rectangle from origin. (100;100)
-Select 2D fillet
-Enter radius --> 10 [RETURN]
-select line 1 (it gets blue)
-select line 2
-Result: the whole rectangle disappears

On windows7 the console says:

Code: Select all
Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `explode' for nil:NilClass>
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google Sketchup 8/Plugins/2Dtools/2DfilletTool.rb:404:in `create_geometry'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google Sketchup 8/Plugins/2Dtools/2DfilletTool.rb:197:in `onLButtonDown'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google Sketchup 8/Plugins/2Dtools/2DfilletTool.rb:404

Is this helpful ??
Things that flourish fall into decay. This is not-Tao, And what is not-Tao soon ends ~ Lao tse
liquid98 

Postby TIG » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:20 pm

The explode error is because the arc is initially made and grouped and that is then exploded to ensure it's an arc at the end...
The error is because the group [which is also copied from a temporary group for obscure reasons relating to grouped arcs being turned into edges on an explode] isn't getting made and you can't explode 'nil' ?? So the temporary group isn't getting made...
It does do one 'risky move' where it groups the arc and connected bits directly they are made BUT as it's all in the 'active_entities' it shouldn't matter as that is the 'safe way'... Weird, especially as it works on earlier versions.
I've not heard of this issue before.
Have you tried repairing/reinstalling Sketchup?
Are you sure the working file ../Plugins/2DTools/2dfilletTool.rb is copied over exactly the same ?
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby liquid98 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:36 pm

No reinstall was needed, I found out that 2Dfillet script is working fine with no other plugins installed..
So there had to be a script interfering with the 2Dfillet. It turned out to be sketchyphysics3.1.

So problem solved, at least on my side. I'm curious though if Ben's problem is solved in the same way.

Bye
Last edited by liquid98 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liquid98 

Postby TIG » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:05 pm

Never thought of SP... :roll:
That can mess with the built-in Group class etc [most ill-advisedly] - which then might affect some other tools unexpectedly...
If you want to use SP3 with other tools loading, it is relatively easy to rewrite the SP code that messes things up...
This is the problem file 'fixed' - it can be unzipped and replaces the SP3 folder's file of the same name...
Then SP3 should still work OK and the clash is avoided... let me know if it works as I hope...
:roll:
ClassExtensions.zip
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby liquid98 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:21 pm

:enlight: :enlight: TIG: you are too good!!
liquid98 

Postby Ben Ritter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:08 pm

Hey guys, I've been away from the forum since posting on Friday, but my scenario was basically the same as for liquid98. Moved from XP to Windows 7. I will try your fix TIG or removing SP and let you know.

Ben

Ben Ritter 

Postby Ben Ritter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:17 pm

I tried the replacement file and still had vanishing lines and faces. I then removed SP3 and the fillet command worked fine.

Thanks. Ben

Ben Ritter 

Postby TIG » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:23 pm

Ben

I thought I had the issue with SP sorted - obviously not it has many many files and I thought that by adjusting that one we'd sort out the issue - I'll have another look - so at the moment it's SP OT 2Dfillet [or Mirror] for some of you till I get to the bottom of this... :?
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Pro & Make Discussions