SCF COMPETITION - Design Your Ideal Work Desk / Station!

Re: SCF COMPETITION - Design Your Ideal Work Desk / Station!

Postby stonebreaker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:28 pm

tfdesign wrote:Stonebreaker? More like Bankbreaker!!! :roll: :lol: ;)

Very nice, but did you see those prices?!? :shock: :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen:

I know. But quality has a price! :twisted: ;)

Besides I like the practical sytle. modern desks aren't so practical.

stonebreaker 

Postby tfdesign » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:48 pm

stonebreaker wrote:quality has a price!

That's a very interesting argument. There is a bloke up the road, who has just opened a big studio near here, and he hopes to be the next William Morris, by inviting people in to use his factory to create quality furniture masterpieces. But being a bit of a William Morris type of guy, I think he is going to come across the problem that in the end, despite his vision to sell furniture to those who are of a lower income, and furniture that hasn't been mass-produced, actually the only people who will be able to afford it, will be the very rich. Exactly the dilemma that eventually killed poor old mister Morris off (or at least left him with the fact that he was no longer selling to the people that Morris cared for the most, the working class, as only those with money could afford his wares).

So do you build a desk which costs a lot of money to manufacture, or do you build a desk that is cheap, but well engineered/ designed, that is marketed for the masses- after all, you want to make a living right? Be the next IKEA? Stokke, made unique chairs, but they came at a price. I think the Gravity chair was well over a Grand. Their best seller was the Tripp-Trapp, and so that is still sold by whoever bought the company up, to continue the name, but that other company has taken those other chairs and is re-marketing them under a different name. I can only imagine that Stokke must have run into some difficulties, because it was very difficult to locate those designs a couple years back, ie you could only get the Tripp-Trapp.
My book "Let's SketchUp!" Download from here

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby joppermann » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:24 am

What a great contest! I just came across this thread tonight but have had a design kicking around in the back of my head for the last 6 months or so. Seems like time to put it on paper and see if it would actually work. Should have my entry by the weekend.

joppermann 

Postby Mike Lucey » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:47 am

joppermann wrote:What a great contest! I just came across this thread tonight but have had a design kicking around in the back of my head for the last 6 months or so. Seems like time to put it on paper and see if it would actually work. Should have my entry by the weekend.

Good to hear this Jeff. I was thinking that the contest was turning into a furniture discussion topic :D
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby tfdesign » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:11 pm

Mike Lucey wrote:I was thinking that the contest was turning into a furniture discussion topic

err- Mike, you do mean furniture don't you? :? ;) Or are we talking Magritte? :D

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Phil2009 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:36 pm

not sure if my reply got posted-
Here's my entry:
I read and article called Stand Up When You Read This a while ago and changed my desk
so I could stand up - I found that a trampoline made standing easier and a stool nearby
was necessary for breaks

Phil2009 

Postby Mike Lucey » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Phil2009 wrote:I found that a trampoline made standing easier and a stool nearby
was necessary for breaks

Hi Phil,

Good to see another entry. An interesting concept to say the least! Wondering if you have made this workspace and how it is the use?

Mike
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby Phil2009 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Wondering if you have made this workspace and how it is the use?

Thanks Mike, Yes, it works well for me, here's how it developed;
I had my computer monitor, keyboard and Wacom tablet set up
on a farmhouse table (6'x3') in an otherwise small home office.
I read an article-
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 ... read-this/
similar to the ergonomic chair article in this topic - and realized that I could
raise up the pen tablet, the keyboard and the monitor about 1' and then stand up
instead of sitting. I used a 32"x26" plexiglass tabletop from a drafting table
which is sitting on four 12" x 9" x 5" metal filing boxes on top of the farmhouse table (the monitor could then be wall-mounted but I have it sitting on an additional glass shelf)
I found standing was difficult so I put a small trampoline under the desk as a
comfortable surface to stand barefoot on (I don't bounce or exercise on it - it is
just way more comfortable than the floor) It took some getting used to and I found its good to vary standing positions including sitting on a nearby stool for some tasks. I can lean on the drafting table while drawing on the pen tablet- or use keyboard shortcuts with my left hand while drawing. Added benefit seems to be more
desk storage - when I sit on the stool I can access books and notes from the filing
boxes that are on the lower table - Phil

Phil2009 

Postby Mike Lucey » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Wow Phil, Thanks for the headsup on 'Your chair is your enemy'. There is some food for thought there. I had not heard of Lipoprotein Lipase and how, in rats, its only produced by the leg muscles, probably the same situation in humans!

I like the idea of the rocking chair! Funny now that I think about it, I found myself very comfortable in the Poang chair that I use now and then. While using it I tended to flex my legs to get a rocking motion! Maybe I should get a Poang rocking chair and get rid of the sofa that I use too much. Now I know why my waist measurement has been increasing!

Mike
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby dermotcoll » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Mike Lucey wrote:Now I know why my waist measurement has been increasing!

Its the sitting inthe pub Mike, not the sitting in the sofa!!! :roflmao:
When you burn your arse - you gotta sit on the blisters!!
dermotcoll 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tfdesign » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:12 pm

I've this week, for this 3D print competition, designed "Sketch-U-Table!". I wanted an ergonomic table that wouldn't 'cost the earth'- literally. The Sketch-U-Table! (SUT!) came from an idea I had a while back, to design a sustainable self-constructed table that could be made from one sheet of 21mm (BS) Ply. Standard (BS/ ES) size of 8'x4' (although all dimensions shown here are in mm).

I have yet to build an SUT!, as I only designed the SUT! this week, for the SketchUcation 3D Printing competition. But to build one, you need to cutout almost all the pieces. (ones that don't need cutting out, haven't been made into solids, or coloured) in the attached SketchUp model.

I've uploaded a video to YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3I535gQdmE ), and this shows a completed view, an "exploded" view, and a typical office kind of environment, where the SUT! is most likely to be used (notice the LCD projector, in place of standard monitor! ;) Of course you don't have to have this. ).

I would recommend that you do the cutting using a laser-cutter, where you feed the device with a dxf file, and the laser burns a hole through the wood. There will be a tolerance on the laser cut thickness, but I have allowed for this (as long as it isn't wider than 1mm!).

Irrespective of whether or not I win this competition, my main aim was to design a cheap sustainable, but more importantly, ergonomic table (I am 6' 6" tall!) for the SketchUcation masses, as the SUT! can be mass produced. This is a gift to all the SketchUcation forum members (and anyone else for that matter… IKEA?- guys, gis a job! ;) ). So this is a win-win for me. As a humanist I believe for the good of my fellow human beings throughout the world, please make use of my design, and build yourself a nice big ergonomic desk, that is cheap to make, and fully adjustable, providing of course, that you know where to look for someone who does laser cutting! You can also use a jigsaw to cut the pieces out, but this won't be so accurate, so be prepared for some "post processing"!

Further technical and construction information;

1. 1x 8 ft x 4 ft 21mm thick Plywood sheet.

2. Wedges made to hold the table together, tap into slots, using a small hammer (see assembly). Shown here in red (not coloured in the final product- unless of course you wish them to be?).

3. Wooden 'washers' stop the tabletop from crashing down, and need to be tightened using;

a. 4x M8 bolts and nuts
b. 4x M16 bolts and nuts
c. M8 and M16 metal washers

Wooden washers shown here in green.

4. Shown in design, but not in assembly, are the M16 holes placed in the legs to allow for a small rope to be placed (two on each of the front legs and one either side on the back H-frame). Tying front legs to the back legs, allows for strengthening of the table- although I haven't done any stress testing on the item although perhaps hopefully someone will do this- even at the 3D printing stage?- if I win of course!). Simple FEA plug ins and packages are available these days for not very much. Some like Z88 ( http://www.z88.uni-bayreuth.de/z88auror ... tz88_e.htm ) are even freeware.

5. The two shelves at the rear of the table (shown here in yellow), allow for things like computers or plug sockets to be placed, so they don't drape on the floor. In the YouTube video I have shown a projector sitting on one of those shelves. This is what I would like on my perfect desk, but you will probably have different tastes. You could always of course use a monitor instead. But try and keep the weight to a minimal. LCD is recommended- but then you have saved so much on your table purchase, that you could easily have both!! (As I said before, the table still needs to be stress load tested).

There is also a bar across the lip of each shelf. This is to stop anything falling off the end, and can be added or not. You will need 4x M8 bolts, nuts and washers to fit these (shown in orange).

6. The two "ears" on either side of the top of the table, are for putting things like filing boxes next to- so they don't fall off the table. These were added just to use the parts of the ply sheet that weren't used up. These are also held by wedges (red). Of course you don't need to fit these.

7. Last of all, I could have gone to town on better presentation, but I felt that would be missing the point. I really hope this has helped a few people who are thinking about construction, and if you have any suggestions for improvement, please don't hesitate to redesign my table and produce a better product!

Happy SketchUp-ping! :D

Tom

Oh one more thing, thanks to all those designers who submitted the props I used in the video, from the 3D warehouse. I will of course also upload the table to the warehouse, and point those who want the dxf design file to join the SketchUcation! forum, and download it from here. :)

EDIT; I may have to update the 3D printing file, as the parts aren't on layers, and are too close to one another. Updated! They also need scaling down, as they are currently at 1:1.

Now I need to pick up the kids!

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Mike Lucey » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Nice design Tom. I really like this but again I am a big fan of flat-pack design.

Guys, The competition should be closing in about 2 hours 45 minutes. Maybe we could extend the closing time until Monday next ONLY if the three entrants (Richard, Phil and Tom) are agreeable. Then again I would not be surprised if they are not as they currently are each guaranteed a prize :o Thought there would have been more entries as the prizes are good :shock:
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby dermotcoll » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:01 pm

Mike where is your corner cubby entry? Still waiting on the pics for that!! Nearly as bad as Oli and his 3d print photos!!! :roflmao:
When you burn your arse - you gotta sit on the blisters!!
dermotcoll 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tfdesign » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks for the nice words Mike. I put a lot of this week into this, taking a break this week from my other school-based project.

As for that deadline? It's a shame that there are only our entries. I wanted to see a few more, especially after all that Tripp Trapp/ Stokke talk.

Gotta go to bed now- it has been a hard day.

Tom

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby joppermann » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:56 am

I know this is a bit late so I am just posting it to post it. I had worked on this last weekend but I thought I would have time to add a freestanding bookshelf and file cabinet in addition to showing a shot with the keyboard tray open. Work always seems to get in the way. But I thought I would share it anyway...even if it isn't in the contest.

I noticed it is very much a different animal to design for 3d printing. Where normally I would of designed this with components that would actually be there in construction...where for 3d printing you make sure absolutely everything in the interior is perfectly clean. You most certainly have to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

If anyone would like to see the skb file let me know. I can try to download it. Even with the geometry perfectly clean, it is a big file and didn't seem to want to attach. I could always zip it and try again.
Last edited by joppermann on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

joppermann 

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:03 am

Jops, mate I LOVE the desk! The bookshelf not sure!

With the desk you will surely need a foot at the rear of the leg section as I'd imagine it rolling back easy if pushed, could send your laptop of monitor flying!

Hey re the comp! I reckon extend it another week or more, need some other posters!! Does feel like a comp at the moment. I thought I might be lucky if I got a place not destined too! :?
Richard 

Postby Phil2009 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:35 am

It's fine to extend the competition - I always like to see more ideas -Phil

Phil2009 

Postby joppermann » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:23 am

Thanks for the comments Richard. I am glad you like. I love your design...any time you can make a static piece of furniture and give it visual movement it is incredibly interesting.

Oh...ya...I am not entirely sure if I am set on the bookshelf either. Thanks for confirming my feelings. In fact I think I will just go ahead delete those pics :lol:

As for the leg idea...I have been thinking about that since the idea for the desk first came to me several months ago. I have been toying with the idea of weight distribution and if enough weight was forward would it increase stability. Still considering that one. It's just fun putting the idea down and getting to problem solve with it.

Oh...since I didn't feel like working anymore today.

Working keyboard tray and wire management. (minus slides)

joppermann 

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:54 am

Mate I reckon you could get away with just a small unseen knob on the rear side, mate with a large radius only just too much risk of that one bump causing a massive upset.
Richard 

Postby gojohnson » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:22 am

Please allow me to present DOC "The Digital Operations Couch". It is my first foray into the sketchup world. I've worked on it every day for the past week. Wow...this has been intense but very rewarding. Thanks to this wonderful site I was able to dive right in with minimal pain.
And to the "Ninja" plugin authors, I bow.
DOCa.jpg
DOCb.jpg
DOCc.jpg
DOCd.jpg

The DOC is all about integration. It solves the problem of working in comfortably and effectively in the living room around my family which I greatly enjoy, while upholding the household fashion standards. Basically, it gets me out of my techno dungeon in a cool way.

The "Digital Operations Couch" features:
1. Full CPU integration into easy to access pullout(left end) with room enough for mid size tower.
2. Concealment and management of all wires within DOC structure.
3. Built-in audio speakers with room for sub woofer.
4. Ventilating ports for fan circulated cooling air.
5. Adjustable work table features two axes of rotation and height adjustment.
6. Three large drawers below seat cushions.
7. Large pullout(right end) for printer or other peripherals.
8. Fold up/down armrests and USB hub and desktop would be nice but ran out of time to model.

I hope everyone get a kick out of this and can embrace the concept of "lean back computing".
Cheers,
Gary

PS. Ill upload the file in another post......out of time!

gojohnson 

Re: COMPETITION - Design Your Ideal Work Desk / Station!

Postby tfdesign » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:40 am

ecofeco wrote:Ah dang Richard. That IS sweet. Reminiscent of Eames or George Nelson for Herman Miller. I love that style!

Now what am I gonna do? ;)

Just surfing and came across this:
http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_d ... ?id=344997

You have good taste and a good eye! :D

Holy cow! And this from 1949:
http://www.furniturestoreblog.com/2010/ ... _1949.html

I don't think there is anything wrong with copying another, or being influenced by others, just as long as you don't copy directly. You need just to think exactly what a desk should do for you and make it (well, SketchUp it!).

The worst thing however, is criticising others and then not submitting anything yourself! :roll: ;) :lol:

Come on ecofeco, I expected/expect to see an entry from you too! ;) :D

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby tfdesign » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:51 am

gojohnson wrote:Please allow me to present DOC "The Digital Operations Couch".

:shock: Bloody hell! :shock:

I like!

This is the complete antithesis of Phil's approach! :roll: :lol:

Nice that you have the 'DOC' abbreviation for your "Couchstation". Mine of course being "SUT!". I abbreviated SketchUcation, and came up with "SUC". Noooooo..... we're not going there!! ;) :lol:

I've always been taken for the "sofa-worktable" idea, again after dreaming up an idea similar to this a few years back. But my wife, advised me against perusing the idea any further. Probably because the design looked too 'surgical'! Women! tut! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Mike Lucey » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks guys (Richard, Phil and Tom) for agreeing on an extension. I have added a further two weeks as per Richard's suggestion AND also advise that the first ten entries will be getting a Special Edition 50K+ SketchUcation B'ball Cap. They are being embroidered as I write. The picture is of the sample I got. It's actually black even through in the picture it looks dark blue. Rich has the sample so maybe he can post a better pic.

Mike
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby tfdesign » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:58 pm

ooh-err.... I hope it fits my head! :shock: No jokes about being "big-headed", but I genuinely have a large (long) head, that no baseball cap has ever fitted so far! :shock: :oops:

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby joppermann » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:18 pm

wow...I hope I didn't start any problems by posting mine last night. Thank you, I will get my model skethup file attached tonight.

Gojohnson that is cool. I would never get a thing done using it but it still really really cool. Would even have enough room for my coffee. :)

Richard I think I thought of a solution that shouldn't distract from the design this morning on my way to work. The more you made me think about it the more it certainly didn't seem worth the risk. I will have to see how it looks.

joppermann 

Postby Mike Lucey » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:52 pm

tfdesign wrote:ooh-err.... I hope it fits my head! :shock: No jokes about being "big-headed", but I genuinely have a large (long) head, that no baseball cap has ever fitted so far! :shock: :oops:

Should fit okay Tom. They have a velco strap at the back for adjustment :thumb:
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby gojohnson » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:33 pm

tfdesign wrote:
:shock: Bloody hell! :shock:

I like!

This is the complete antithesis of Phil's approach! :roll: :lol:

Your right Tom, now i remember seeing that NY Times article Phil was referring to about standing up at the desk. I immediately put together a mock-up standing workstation and stood on an anti-fatigue mat but I got too tired too often. But seeing the trampoline under foot on Phil's design must make a world of difference. :enlight:

It seems to me that we need to change and move a lot between positions. I don't think one workstation can fit all of our needs. Now I'm dreaming of a giant stationary hamster ball with a desk inside. :bounce:

Seriously though :geek:...my design for the DOC is based on research I found that sitting back 135 degrees from level is better on the ol' back.

Science Daily link on this research
BBC News link on this research

We can all lean back now. AHHH!

gojohnson 

Re: COMPETITION - Design Your Ideal Work Desk / Station!

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:10 pm

tfdesign wrote:
ecofeco wrote:Ah dang Richard. That IS sweet. Reminiscent of Eames or George Nelson for Herman Miller. I love that style!

Now what am I gonna do? ;)

Just surfing and came across this:
http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_d ... ?id=344997

You have good taste and a good eye! :D

Holy cow! And this from 1949:
http://www.furniturestoreblog.com/2010/ ... _1949.html

I don't think there is anything wrong with copying another, or being influenced by others, just as long as you don't copy directly. You need just to think exactly what a desk should do for you and make it (well, SketchUp it!).

The worst thing however, is criticising others and then not submitting anything yourself! :roll: ;) :lol:

Come on ecofeco, I expected/expect to see an entry from you too! ;) :D

Actually I don't think ecofeco was at all being critical! In fact he has the good eye and shows his awareness! The design certainly was inspired by molino's work, the other I hadn't seen prior to ecofeco's post though see some similarities in the operative purpose.

Design is generally always inspired - the tulip chair has a very close similarity to eames shell, in fact I have a very old chair with almost both those designs combined to one. Strange it has close to an eames shell atop a tulip base! One would assume on first glance to be a tulip but the seat shell is devoid of the small dip in the top of the back support. Again it being obviously at the time inspired by both, as I imagine the tulip on design inspired originally by eames shell.
Richard 

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:44 pm

tfdesign wrote:ooh-err.... I hope it fits my head! :shock: No jokes about being "big-headed", but I genuinely have a large (long) head, that no baseball cap has ever fitted so far! :shock: :oops:

Man I'm with ya, always thought mine was a whopper till one day a mate put on my cycling helmet (biggest bell then available) and it sat like a pimple! Funny I never noticed it before but when he walks in the room it does get a lot darker! :o
Richard 

Postby Mike1158 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:04 pm

A reasonable stab at the work station. Perhaps not as obviously stylish, more of a workhorse to the stallions produced by some of you chaps.

Mike1158 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions