Hard Core Challenge?

Hard Core Challenge?

Postby remus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:11 pm

I was tihnking a broader, more open competition might be fun.

Something along the lines of: one month, anim/image final output, use whatever software you like(as long as SU is used as a major workflow element.) Points for creativity, artistic merit and generally producing interesting stuff.

Anyone interested?

remus 

Re: Hard Core Challenge?

Postby modelhead » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm always interested although this would take some effort. It would be difficult to find the time. That's why the 30min challenge is such a hoot. (don't make me do it...my wife will kill me!) ;)

modelhead 

Postby remus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Would a prize help persuade? Theres a chance i/we could get a vendor on board who could donate a license or 2. No promises, though.

remus 

Postby modelhead » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:51 pm

That's a good idea although I would rather you bolster the 30 min challenge with a prize. I think your original idea is great. I think there are a few ways to encourage more partisipation including prizes. The rules would need to be rewritten and firm and I think a few promonent people around here could adjudicate including a Sketchup staff member or two.

modelhead 

Postby remus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:58 pm

I agree that if prizes start to get involved it will have to be a lot stricter, and a judging panel would certainly help with that.

I'm not very keen with a prize for the 30 min challenge, though. It would make it overly serious in my mind, and i think the relaxed nature of it is currently one of the more attractive things about it.

Having said that, i've got a plan or 2 in place for a few prizes in the future :)

remus 

Postby modelhead » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:05 pm

It would make it overly serious

Good Point.

modelhead 

Postby Mike Lucey » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:53 pm

Guys,

I still have those prizes that were made available in return for the Adverts we did in the Christmas Edition of CatchUp. I will find the list and pass it over for you guys to offer as prizes if you want.
From memory there was,

Entourage Arts
3D Vinci
Podium
IDX Renditioner
3D PaintBrush
Hypercosm teleporter

Mike

Mike
Mike Lucey 
Mayor

Postby remus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:05 pm

Cheers mike :thumb: That'll be very useful if it goes ahead.

remus 

Postby Rich O Brien » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:13 pm

as a member who finding his feet with regards modeling/rendering, i think this would be great competition to learn techniques and workflow from pros.

Sure, there are lots of posts in the gallery and tutorial sections. But there's nothing that shows comparisons between pro users on the same concept.

For me this is a great idea and i look forward to it. Hopefully you'll make it happen.

As for 30min challenge, that's the most fun post after Boofredlay's 'Funny Pics', and i think prizes would take the gloss off it.
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby EscapeArtist » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:59 pm

I think it's a great idea, and the prize idea is nice too - except probably some of the folks who would have the nicest output are probably professionals and/or perhaps already have a license.

I would also suggest that SU be the main modeling component, otherwise you get a kind of situation where you could export a SU cube and make a monster in Zbrush; sure the workflow contains SU, but it isn't a main component. OK, maybe not that extreme, but you get the idea. I'm just trying to think of a way to have a more level playing field, maybe an amateur/pro divide? Free/unlicensed software and full version/licensed? Just trying to think of ways to open it up to more people, or give a few underdogs a shot at a prize.

Just my ramblings.
EscapeArtist 
Top SketchUcator

Postby motogroove » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:59 pm

The HCC sounds exciting. While it might preclude participation by the seriously busy, it would give purpose and excercise to folks who aren't busy enough. It might pull entries from a whole different group of people.

Personally, I'm still a newbie who doesn't have my whole SU arsenal sorted out yet, so I haven't entered a Speed Challenge yet.
I've been wondering about a Newbie Challenge format. Perhaps newbies all try to model the same item from supplied images or specifications. Or maybe pick a tutorial of a certain advanced SU feature/tool and challenge the newbies to do something cool using that feature. Winners of Newbie Challenge must advance to the regular Speed Challenge after X number of wins.Just an idea.

I've been away a while but always check in on the speed challenges. Thanks to every one of the entrants for playing along. I find it very entertaining and inspiring.

I need to get back to modelling my future home. Sometimes real life gets in the way of dreaming.

Take care,
Dean

motogroove 

Postby Gaieus » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:40 am

Hi Dean,

This "Newbie Challenge" sounds interesting, too. Yet there would be a problem telling "who is a newbie and who isn't". Do you have any ideas about this?
Gaieus 

Postby motogroove » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:14 pm

Gaieus wrote:Hi Dean,

This "Newbie Challenge" sounds interesting, too. Yet there would be a problem telling "who is a newbie and who isn't". Do you have any ideas about this?

Well, my notion about promoting winners was an attempt at a strategy for culling the sandbaggers.

But after further consideration, perhaps this challenge wouldn't belong under the competition heading at all. Perhaps it could just be the challenge, and everybody who figures out a solution is a winner. The prize is better and new skills with SU. No deadline, just a scheduled date for the next challenge to begin. The only rule I would suggest is keep it 100% SketchUp, perhaps even excluding rubies.

I would think that a SU master could probably dream up challenges that yield valuable experience, or build on skills gained in the previous challenge. A figure skater has to learn to skate backwards before one can land a jump backwards.

motogroove 

Postby •BTM » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:44 am

...Or maybe have challenges for the benefit of the SCF community with useful components. 8-)

You could have competitions where you make a component/ small set of components (interior furniture, plants, office supplies, etc.), post the files, and at the end, all entries/ the top entries could go in a thread, in the materials, styles and components section,with an image and download for the winner, and the runner ups (set up a bit like the voting threads, but with downloads). :bounce:

•BTM 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby brodie » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:32 pm

I think BTM has a great idea! It would be very cool to have a "furniture" competition, for example, where your entry is both an image and the model itself. Then those models would be available for download (maybe each competition is made into a gallery or whatever they're called at the 3d Warehouse?). It would also help to ensure that the winner isn't simply the best renderer but rather the best modeler. People would probably tend to vote for things that they are most excited to use too, which would ensure creativity and new models rather than simply redoing the same Barcelona chair that we all have in our libraries.

Downside would be that prizes probably wouldn't be feasible. Too difficult to tell if someone just downloaded an Evermotion or Formfonts model or some such thing and submitted it as their own.

-Brodie
brodie 
Top SketchUcator

Postby =Physicsguy= » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:31 am

Prizes...? Sounds like a nice motivator, but how are you to determine whether an entry was created while abiding to the rules? We can't be sure as there is no way to enforce the rules, unless someone wants to monitor every competitor via webcam...

I like BTM's idea to benefit SCF with useful components(although nobody really uses components by other authors). I like motogroove's idea, also. Maybe we should just have certain challenges that let everyone-newbies and pros-have a chance to compete on equal terms. Maybe originality should be the main factor in judgement, not skill.

Motogroove:
... perhaps even excluding rubies...

no rubies means no Sketchup, technically :)

=Physicsguy= 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Competitions