Moon Gate Kit

Moon Gate Kit

Postby Joe Wood » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:26 pm

This is a Moon Gate Kit plus the wide board fencing, we’ll be shipping diagonally across the country from San Diego up to Cape Cod. It’ll be similar to this one https://woodsshop.com/PROJECTS/moon-gate-entry.htm

https://woodsshop.com/MoonGate/MoonGate ... te_Kit.htm

Moon Gate 1.jpg

Moon Gate Kit.jpg

Moon Gate 2.jpg

The Moon will be laminated clear California Redwood, twelve ¼ x 5” x 20’ pieces. All the posts, fence rails, and top cap are also Redwood. The fence boards are 1x10” and 1x2 vertical grain western red cedar.

Moon Gate 3.jpg

Moon Gate 4.jpg

Moon Gate 5.jpg

To blend in with its Cape Cod setting all the timber will be allowed to go grey so we’ll seal everything real well with a non UV clear sealer to protect the wood and discourage mildew.

This will be beautiful .. I wish I could get the texture to follow around on the Moons curves.
Last edited by Joe Wood on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:43 am, edited 6 times in total.
Joe Wood 

Re: Moon Gate Kit

Postby tuna1957 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:41 am

Very nice gate Joe. :thumb: A side note ... if you break the face of the arch into segments you can get the the texture to "follow around" the curve. Can do it with native paint bucket , paint a face segment , right click> position texture. it's a little tedious but it works. Can get there faster with Fredo's Thru Paint.

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Mike Amos » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:43 am

How are Redwood stocks protected? I only ask because I am more aware these day of the loss of hardwood and rain forest tree's these days.

Mike Amos 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby chedda » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:01 am

Super Detailing !
chedda 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pbacot » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Very nice work and craftsmanship! "Shipping diagonally"--does that mean you ship from San Diego to Massachusetts only?

Oh I thought you were offering the kit only for a diagonal swathe of the country :D , but this is a one-off for now I gather...
MacOSX Mojave ShetchUp Pro v19 Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Bryan K » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:31 am

Great design!
Bryan K 

Postby Joe Wood » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 pm

I picked out four nice clear redwood 2x6x20’ boards and had the lumber yard split them in to thirds with their horizontal band saw, so I got three 3/8 x 5.5” x 20’ pieces out of each 2x6.

1.JPG

We surfaced them down to ¼” thick and made a 12 piece lamination, with lots of clamps!

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
Joe Wood 

Postby Joe Wood » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:28 pm

After the glue dried, we hand planed both edges to even them out a bit and remove the dried glue. Look at all the pinkish red shavings :-)

5.JPG

and then sent both edges thru the big planer which is always fun!

6.JPG

check out the fence board stock :-) You see 10’ and 12’, 2x10” roughsawn clear vertical grain western red cedar. I had the yard split them in half to 7/8 x 10”, we’ll plane those to 3/4 x 9 3/4” and have some very nice fence boards :-)

7.JPG
Joe Wood 

Postby pilou » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:39 pm

How do you "bend" them ? Thickness permit to make that only by hands + clamp one by one ?
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Joe Wood » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 am

RW bends pretty easily, and the pieces are only 1/4" .6cm thick. Two of us just glue up all the pieces, and make an even stack, then start bending it around the form. It goes pretty easily, we had a real good glue up this time.
Joe Wood 

Postby Joe Wood » Sat May 18, 2019 5:26 pm

I stored both the moon gate and all the fencing parts for two months before shipping out to Cape Cod, then the weather didn't cooperate for installation for another month 1/2, but it's almost finished out there, I'm waiting on the 'finished' pics hopefully soon!

16.JPG

the moon getting some California sunshine which deepens the woods color

IMG_5734.JPG

the little moon window for the gate

IMG_5750.JPG

all clear vertical grain western red cedar

IMG_5818.JPG

the fencing crate and the moon crate on the way!
Joe Wood 

Postby Joe Wood » Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Mike Amos, all the redwood now is commercially grown on plantations, that's why the quality isn't at all like it used to be as now it's grown fast in full sunlight and smaller trees are being harvested.
Joe Wood 

Postby Joe Wood » Sun May 19, 2019 4:35 pm

This turned out real nice :-) We sealed this with a clear waterproofer without any UV screen so the wood will all go grey to blend in with the Cape Cod look.

4c.jpg

4b.jpg
Joe Wood 

Postby L i am » Sun May 19, 2019 4:43 pm

Joe Wood wrote:This turned out real nice :-) We sealed this with a clear waterproofer without any UV screen so the wood will all go grey to blend in with the Cape Cod look.

It did turn out real nice mate and more :thumb: I have a keen interest in Japanese Landscape design and it has inspired me into using your design as a hero in a Japanese landscape design. Really great work mate :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: It looks inspired by Japanese landscape design, and I do not get any sense of any connection with "Cape Cod" though...
Last edited by L i am on Mon May 20, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

L i am 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Joe Wood » Sun May 19, 2019 4:48 pm

the greyed out wood will match the Cape Cod feel as a lot of the structures out there are weathered,

this is probably the only moon gate in Cape Cod :-)

also Moon gates are Chinese, don't think you see them in Japan but I could be wrong. You do see moon windows in Japan that I do know.
Joe Wood 

Postby L i am » Mon May 20, 2019 9:39 am

Joe Wood wrote:the greyed out wood will match the Cape Cod feel as a lot of the structures out there are weathered,

this is probably the only moon gate in Cape Cod :-)

also Moon gates are Chinese, don't think you see them in Japan but I could be wrong. You do see moon windows in Japan that I do know.

Hi Joe, it very well may be Chinese, I have never heard of a moon gate before and just assumed it was Japanese. I am pretty sure It is very beautifull though. Great work :thumb: :thumb:

L i am 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Joe Wood » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:19 pm

I love how all the cedar color goes to an even golden tan after being out in the sun for awhile :-)

1c.jpg
Joe Wood 

Postby pbacot » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:21 pm

Beautiful work!
MacOSX Mojave ShetchUp Pro v19 Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Bryan K » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:08 am

Stunning. Just stunning! :thumb:

Like a fairy tale!
Bryan K 

Postby HornOxx » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:51 am

... yes, wunderbar :thumb:
never trust a skinny cook
HornOxx 

Postby Mike Amos » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:10 am

It looks bloomin' marvelous, nicely done Joe.

Mike Amos 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Gallery