Sample Model for Rendering - Loft w Telescope

Sample Model for Rendering - Loft w Telescope

Postby Al Hart » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Rachel from Shaderlight has placed a model on the 3D Warehouse for us to use to make rendering samples using various rendering products for inclusion in the Sample Renderings section of SketchUpRendering.com: Loft with Telescope

loft w telescope.jpg

It is OK to change materials, add a background, add lights, and make other rendering settings – but do not add to or change other geometry.

Render it with your favorite rendering package, post the results here, and I will place them on SketchUpRendering.com. Check out the Sample Renderings section to see what people have done with the previous models.

Besides seeing samples of various rendering packages, the purpose of this thread and/or the SketchUpRendering.com site, where we will post these images, is to show SketchUp users the value of using add-on rendering packages to improve the quality and value of SketchUp models and images for internal or client presentations.

Also, check out these previous Sample Rendering Threads to see what people have done with the previous models: Interior, Water, and Exterior at Night.
Al Hart
IRender nXt from Render Plus
Al Hart 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: Sample Model for Rendering - Loft w Telescope

Postby Al Hart » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:41 pm

First try with IRender nXt

Placed a background image outside the window, made the telescope body reflective and made the window itself a light source.
Last edited by Al Hart on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al Hart
Al Hart 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby chedda » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:08 pm

A couple of things stand out, the harvest moon has an orange glow, the scene does not. Also the window frames do not meet the wall. The shadows are not really that realistic either. Being a loft and the fact you are looking up to me means that you wouldn't really see the top of the trees either. I've never use Irender nXt it looks like it renders fast is there anyway to increase the quality ?
Kraken Wrangler
chedda 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Al Hart » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:26 pm

chedda wrote:A couple of things stand out, the harvest moon has an orange glow, the scene does not. Also the window frames do not meet the wall. The shadows are not really that realistic either. Being a loft and the fact you are looking up to me means that you wouldn't really see the top of the trees either. I've never use IRender nXt it looks like it renders fast is there anyway to increase the quality ?

Thanks for taking a look and for your comments. (I am always amazed how artistic people can see things that I do not see when they view a rendering.)

I just wanted to get a quick version out - hopefully to inspire some other people to render it with their own favorite rendering engine.

IRender nXt is a multi-pass renderer - meaning that the longer you let it render the better it gets. The image below was rendered for 500 passes and about an hour. To get better and better resolution of the shadows I could let in render overnight.

I liked the trees - so lets assume our loft is in a valley near a hill.

I could have placed the background on an actual surface - further outside the window - and then made it a light. I will do that for my next version.
Even better would have been an actual HDRi sky - which would have then used all the actual objects in the sky as light sources. But it is always a challenge to find a good night sky as an HDRi.

Also, I made the window itself the light source - which means that the shadows are all coming from the point of the window. Using the moon as a light source would make them more realistic.
Al Hart
Al Hart 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby chedda » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:50 pm

Yes Al Night sky HDR's are hard to find, however i believe you can make your own using hi res images. I make mine with Maxwell but i expect photoshop or some other editor can also do this.
Kraken Wrangler
chedda 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Roger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:07 pm

best_Astro_sm.jpg

Here is a night sky photo I took in Sonoita, Arizona. You are welcome to use it as a sky source. Let me know if you need a larger image.

Roger 

Postby pilou » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:57 pm

The best guy for astronomic photos! ;)
Robert Gendler ;)
Totally amazing! :shock: :o :fro:
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Roger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:21 pm

telescope_room.jpg

Here is how I would visualize that scene. Keep in mind you could never have a view like that unless the moon was about 10 times closer and then the tidal forces on earth would be wreaking all kinds of havoc.

Roger 

Postby Bryan K » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:39 pm

Roger wrote:Keep in mind you could never have a view like that unless the moon was about 10 times closer and then the tidal forces on earth would be wreaking all kinds of havoc.

Picky, picky. :D

Very nice render. I like the softness. I might try this tonight.
Bryan K 

Postby david_h » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:56 pm

I dunno . .. I think I have done something wrong. . .
If I make it look easy. . .then it probably is.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Bryan K » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:32 am

Who you gonna call?!
Bryan K 

Postby Bryan K » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:09 am

What a pain. Took me an hour. I couldn't get the starscape to show after 8 tries. Couldn't get the light right. There was something wrong with the window and I had to delete it altogether.

However, it rendered in mere minutes. :thumb:

Kerkythea.

You really need to view it on a dark/black screen/border background for the full effect.

As usual, click on each image for the bigger stand alone picture.

telescope.jpg

telescope2.jpg
Bryan K 

Postby david_h » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:53 am

well I see your problem right off the bat. . .you've got draco where andromeda should be. . .Ursa Major in your first house, and Capricorn in your seventh house. . ..

I'd move into an apartment. :mrgreen:
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Bryan K » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:33 am

David_H wrote:well I see your problem right off the bat. . .you've got draco where andromeda should be. . .Ursa Major in your first house, and Capricorn in your seventh house. . ..

I'd move into an apartment. :mrgreen:

DOH! I knew something was wrong! :lol:
Bryan K 

Postby Al Hart » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 pm

Roger wrote:
telescope_room.jpg

Here is how I would visualize that scene. Keep in mind you could never have a view like that unless the moon was about 10 times closer and then the tidal forces on earth would be wreaking all kinds of havoc.

Do you want to mention which rendering engine you used so I can put the result on SketchUpRendering.com?
Al Hart
Al Hart 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Roger » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:26 pm

Al Hart wrote:
Roger wrote:
telescope_room.jpg

Do you want to mention which rendering engine you used so I can put the result on SketchUpRendering.com?

I did not use a rendering engine. All were Post Production modifications of your render done in PhotoShop.

Roger 

Postby Al Hart » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Roger wrote:I did not use a rendering engine. All were Post Production modifications of your render done in PhotoShop.

AHA! You photo shop guys are amazing!
Al Hart
Al Hart 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby david_h » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:03 am

Still not workin' quite right. . .
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Al Hart » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:35 am

Here's another attempt with lots of stars and a reflective floor.

Some light is coming from the ceiling, and some light from those bright stars.

I also had to remove one of the semi-transparent window things.

stars-engine4-3097.jpg

(rendered with IRender nXt)
Al Hart
Al Hart 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby solo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:59 am

Whoah!! is this a room in a space ship?
My site

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby Roger » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:51 am

David_H wrote:Still not workin' quite right. . .

Too late meteor warning system.

Roger 

Postby Al Hart » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:02 pm

solo wrote:Whoah!! is this a room in a space ship?

I think the whole idea of a loft and a telescope would inspire the imagination of the the viewer, and could cause some non-realistic "photo-realistic" images - such as the large bright moons, and the bright colorful stars.
Al Hart
Al Hart 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby martin-art » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Nice work on the renders, loving all of the different styles. Liking the Ghostbusters apartment, although through a telescope would scare the living daylights out of you.

This is the model rendered at day and night in Shaderlight, although I am thinking now of green lights and UFO's so watch this space.

martin-art 
Shaderlight

Postby david_h » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:15 pm

now we're cookin'!
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Al Hart » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:30 pm

martin-art wrote:Nice work on the renders, loving all of the different styles. Liking the Ghostbusters apartment, although through a telescope would scare the living daylights out of you.

This is the model rendered at day and night in Shaderlight, although I am thinking now of green lights and UFO's so watch this space.

Nice work Martin.

I put these images on the SketchUpRendering site. Let me know if you decide to change them.
Al Hart
Al Hart 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby the.pjt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:30 pm

hello every body ..... this is my try
rendered with TheaRender ... with Unbisided Algorithm ..
and some Post processing in Photoshop ... include adding ray of light
;)

the.pjt 

Postby Bryan K » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Dang it! After looking at Martin's night rendering, I can see I needed to adjust the light color on mine.

Well done, Martin. :thumb: (and everyone else for that matter. very cool as always to see the different styles)
Bryan K 

Postby Roger » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:16 pm

the.pjt wrote:hello every body ..... this is my try
rendered with TheaRender ... with Unbisided Algorithm ..
and some Post processing in Photoshop ... include adding ray of light
;)

The render looks good, but it is an argument for not putting an astronomical observatory under a blazing street light.

Roger 

Postby the.pjt » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:26 pm

:D ... he he he .... yes you are right .... maybe there are putting observatory of that street light not stars .. :)

...and now they can put observatory on clouds ;)
it's not a new render .. I have changed background Image IN PS .. and also lightening and colors of entire picture have boon optimized for this new BG ...

final day.jpg

and .. there is also a behind scene screenshot ...
I don't now why they are using this telescope .. because it's possible to see the galaxy and far away stars just by eyes ... he he ... just fun ... :D

Untitled.jpg

the.pjt 

Postby Rachel-art » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 am

Some really great images and ideas on here! Inspired me to render my own.... :mrgreen:

Rachel-art 
Shaderlight

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Gallery