Check out this extremely talented modeler

Check out this extremely talented modeler

Postby hellnbak » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:24 am

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, or even if it's appropriate to post somebody else's work, but I really want to show some of this modeler's unbelievable work. He posts in the warehouse as JMJ-Ohio, and he's producing some of the best models I have seen. His attention to detail is beyond belief, and everything he's posted so far is absolutely flawless.

He's making a 427 Cammer Motor, complete both externally and internally.

He's also building a '32 Ford 5-Window Highboy to put the engine in. It's not finished yet but he's posted some of the parts and it's just as awesome. Unfortunately (for me) I was working on my own '32, and after seeing his work I've pretty much lost interest in finishing mine. He's set the bar way too high.

Anyhow, just wanted to show everyone some of JMJ-Ohio's fantastic work.

2a.jpg

4a.jpg

5a 1.jpg

9a 1.jpg

7aa.jpg

1a 1.jpg

8a.jpg

10a.jpg

11a.jpg

12a.jpg

Internal detail of short block

13a.jpg

Clutch and flywheel assembly

15a.jpg

Front cover assembly

18a.jpg

Bellhousing assembly

20a.jpg

Exhaust header

24a.jpg

Ignition assembly

25a.jpg

Fuel delivery system
"Politicians are just like diapers -- they need to be changed often, and for the same reason"
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Check out this extremely talented modeler

Postby derei » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:33 am

It's just sick :shock: ! :thumb:
DESIGNER AND ARTIST DEREI.UK
derei 

Postby unigami » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Oh wow...those are insane! I wish he had a profile so we could find out more about him!
unigami 

Postby mitcorb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Wow! I'd say that clutch assembly is way beyond the call of duty. He knows how to model. Where to put the fine detail and where not to.
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby dale » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Wow :o
If he discovers SketchyPhysics that thing will produce exhaust!
Just monkeying around....like Monsanto
dale 
Top SketchUcator

Postby boofredlay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Thanks for sharing this hellnbak :thumb:
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Postby derei » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:55 pm

mitcorb wrote:Wow! I'd say that clutch assembly is way beyond the call of duty. He knows how to model. Where to put the fine detail and where not to.

I don't know what to say... everything is insane detailed ... I can't see parts with less details than something that is prepared for production.
DESIGNER AND ARTIST DEREI.UK
derei 

Postby hellnbak » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:43 pm

This is one of those rare models that you just want to keep exploring to see what details you can find next. I'm no engine expert, but I'd bet that each screw, bolt, spring, and fitting is exactly the proper item. I have a great deal of difficulty with making wires or pipes that look like I want them to, let alone have them go precisely from point A to point B. He does it flawlessly. And the textures he's created for all of the various metals really contribute to the overall effect. Makes you want to grab a timing light and go at it (if anybody still remembers what a timing light is :lol: )

We really need to get this guy in the next issue of CatchUp
"Politicians are just like diapers -- they need to be changed often, and for the same reason"
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tfdesign » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Who needs Solidworks anyway?? :roll: :lol:

Great models! Really nice! :D
My book "Let's SketchUp!" Download from here

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Daniel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:55 pm

What? The lazy SOB can't model the rest of the car?!

Just kiddin...don't bite my head off.

I thought I was anal retentive when it comes to detailed modeling, and then along comes stuff like this. Impressive. his training is complete. He is now a sketchup-jedi master.
My avatar is an anachronism.
Daniel 

Postby mitcorb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:02 pm

@dereei:
I kind of based my comment on noticing the flanges and body of the fuel pump housing had some telltale facets. But the main portion of the work overall is fantastic.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby jason_maranto » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:11 pm

This is outstanding -- it's so rare to see modeling like this on the warehouse. I couldn't resist doing a clay render with Maxwell.

FORD 427 SOHC.jpg

Best,
Jason.
I create video tutorial series about several 2D & 3D graphics programs.
jason_maranto 

Postby hellnbak » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:31 pm

jason_maranto wrote: I couldn't resist doing a clay render with Maxwell.

Best,
Jason.

And I couldn't resist tweaking your excellent clay render :D
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tfdesign » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Now try applying textures to each part! :lol: ;)
My book "Let's SketchUp!" Download from here

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

Postby hellnbak » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:23 pm

tfdesign wrote:Now try applying textures to each part! :lol: ;)

Textures I can work with -- Rendering is completely beyond me. I hope I didn't offend anybody by playing with Jason's render. You've got to be so careful nowadays :?
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby david_h » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:34 pm

When I first saw the Headline of this Thread, I thought for sure it would be featuring ME, but alas. . . twas not to be. :roll: :mrgreen:

This stuff is just amazing.

I hate him.

JK.... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
If I make it look easy. . .then it probably is.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby jason_maranto » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:14 pm

No offense taken -- I'm easy ;)
I create video tutorial series about several 2D & 3D graphics programs.
jason_maranto 

Postby turbobrad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:14 am

Wow, simply incredible. With detail like this there must be one in his garage that needs put back together. :thumb:

turbobrad 

Postby hellnbak » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:51 am

:roflmao:
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby dbalex » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:34 pm

turbobrad wrote:Wow, simply incredible. With detail like this there must be one in his garage that needs put back together. :thumb:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

(indeed great model)

dbalex 

Postby xrok1 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:17 pm

Very nice! with all that knowledge of engine detail you'd think the modeler would know that the 427 is a chev engine though. Ford makes the 429 !? :oops:
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

xrok1 

Postby david_h » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:20 pm

whatever. . .The real question. . .can he come buy and fix my Mazda? :mrgreen:
If I make it look easy. . .then it probably is.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby hellnbak » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:06 am

xrok1 wrote:Very nice! with all that knowledge of engine detail you'd think the modeler would know that the 427 is a chev engine though. Ford makes the 429 !? :oops:

Ford_427_SOHC___Cammer___by_DetroitDemigod.jpg

Wiki:
The Ford Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) 427 V8 engine, familiarly known as the "Cammer", was released in 1964 to recapture NASCAR dominance from the Chrysler 426 Hemi engine. The Chrysler 426 used extremely large block casting that dwarfed the earlier 392 Hemi. The Ford 427 block was closer dimensionally to the early Hemis than to the elephantine 426 Hemi: the Ford FE bore spacing was 4.63 in (117.6 mm) compared to the Chrysler 392's bore spacing of 4.5625 in (115.9 mm). The Ford FE's deck height of 10.17 in (258.3 mm) was lower than that of the Chrysler 392 at 10.87 in (276.1 mm). For comparison, the 426 Hemi has a deck height of 10.72 in (272.3 mm) and bore spacing of 4.8 in (121.9 mm); both Chrysler Hemis have decks more than 0.5 in (12.7 mm) taller than the FE.

The engine was based on the ultra high performance 427 side-oiler block, providing race-proven durability. The block and associated parts were largely unchanged, the main difference being use of an idler shaft instead of the camshaft in the block, which necessitated plugging the remaining camshaft bearing oiling holes.
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby urgen » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:46 pm

O-O-O amazing model! :shock: :thumb: ... the first very fast test in hypershot :? ...no post prosessing...
1.jpg
--pupil forever...------
urgen 

Postby hellnbak » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Wow, very nice! But where are the other two parts of the engine (it's a three-part download)?
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby hellnbak » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:35 am

It's been a long time since I've worked on an engine, and I've never worked on a Cammer, but shouldn't there be bolts here?
9a 2.jpg

Or is is bolted from below before assembly, and these are just the top of the threaded holes?
hellnbak 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby xrok1 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:21 am

My bad. :oops:
Should've know something with that much detail had a real world reference. :mrgreen:
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

xrok1 

Postby JMJOhio » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:48 pm

Hello Everyone...

I'm JMJ-Ohio (Jim Jeffries) and I live in Brookville, Ohio. I want to thank hellnbak for introducing my work to this forum. Did'nt know SketchUcation existed until he contacted me. The "Cammer" was my first real project using SketchUp and I relied more on countless hours at the tube and stubbornness than on talent. The monkey can paint a masterpiece if given enough time and bananas. :lol:

I have been involved with machinery and mechanisms for 40+ years, being employed as a mechanical designer and project engineer. I retired 2 years ago, thus allowing me time to catch-up on home projects and play on the computer. But, I rejoined the work force last month so play time will now be very limited.

The Ford 427 SOHC project. No, I didn't have any blueprints or have an engine in my garage. Online research netted numerous technical articles that included critical dimensions and data. I also downloaded and printed hundreds of photos. The combination of known dimensions, proportional measuring of photos and deduced dimensions via detail relationships allowed the picture to come together. A thorough understanding of the function and construction of the subject item is a vital part in allowing the creation of realistic images.

I am pleased with the results of my efforts, but my models are not practical due to their resultant file sizes.
I envy those of you who can create works that please the eye, are portable in size and don't take hundreds of hours to produce. There are many very talented artists and craftsmen out there and when I see their work it encourages me to try harder and learn new ways to do things.

Have added a few more screen shots.

p.s. -- no bolts from the top in those carb holes. Your second observation is correct.
JMJOhio 

Postby mitcorb » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Welcome, JMJOhio:
Thanks for responding/ joining. You will find a friendly community here.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby solo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:25 pm

Welcome to SCF Jim.

That model is insane, the amount of detail is staggering, you must suffer from OCD to create such a master piece.

Hope to see more in the future.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Gallery