The A show (post your Thea images)

Re: The A show

Postby michaliszissiou » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:17 am

"whiskey"
Thats a great render pete. A simple glass of whiskey is a great challenge for every renderer yet all difficulties are here. As for the apple, its not me who modeled this. I did just an apple. Now you are the modeler. Cheers pete.
michaliszissiou 

Postby rickgraham » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:29 am

I DL'ed the demo and really want to try it, but other things at work are preventing me from doing so right now :evil:

Pete - AWESOME renders! :berserk: Do you happen to have any done with landscaping? That is my bread and butter and would love to see what Thea can do with landscaping.

Anyone know what the price will be for Thea? I'd love to see if the powers that be will spring for a license for me. Of course, if the price is right, I may just spring for it myself.

Rick

rickgraham 

Postby boofredlay » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:37 am

Wonderful work Pete. Nice to see the airplane on the front page slide show as well :D
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Postby majid » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:53 am

Thea is really amazing, I love it, also love your renders ,pete.
here are some of my tries
My V-Ray book for architects: https://goo.gl/cz1oRc
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby notareal » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:01 am

@Jason
Just click download at the thearender.com frontpage, you will find a separate download for the renderer and the SketchUp plugin & manual (also other plugins). The Thea Render manual is bundled with the installer (or DMG file) and after installation you will find it in the application directory (or start menu).
Like all beta programs, there still some bugs to iron out and features to complete, so join to the forum and give feedback. If you a old KT users, it's good to forget old habits, even there are some similarities. Thea Render is build from the scratch, so it's not a KT with steroids, but a different beast.

@Rick
The store is open
- Thea Standard License: 195 euros (beta launch price). Induces the studio and two node licenses.
- Node License: 95 euros
- Plugin License 20 euros
For individual in EU, the price will include VAT 21%. Beta launch price is valid to release and one month after. Then the net price will change from 161.16 euros to 295 euros + VAT. There will be a affortable academic license for non commercial use, available later.
Welcome to try Thea Render, Thea support | kerkythea.net -team member

notareal 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby tridem » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:42 am

majid wrote:..

If these are first tries.... what can you achieve within a month Majid?? :lol:
tridem 

Postby rickgraham » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:08 pm

notareal wrote:@Rick
The store is open
- Thea Standard License: 195 euros (beta launch price). Induces the studio and two node licenses.
- Node License: 95 euros
- Plugin License 20 euros
For individual in EU, the price will include VAT 21%. Beta launch price is valid to release and one month after. Then the net price will change from 161.16 euros to 295 euros + VAT. There will be a affortable academic license for non commercial use, available later.

Can the license be used for mixed platforms (Mac/PC)? If so, you guys have paved the way! I only wish that more companies would offer this. If not, then this would be a great wishlist for myself.

Rick

rickgraham 

Postby notareal » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:34 pm

@Rick Yes you can. No core or OS restrictions, same license works on all platforms, Windows, Linux and Mac. So if you want to swap from windows to mac, just download mac installation from website and install on Mac. You can install the studio on three different machines, if you don't use them at same time. License transfer is also available if needed.

notareal 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby rickgraham » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:42 pm

notareal wrote:@Rick Yes you can. No core or OS restrictions, same license works on all platforms, Windows, Linux and Mac. License transform is also available.

:berserk: THANK YOU!! Now if we could get SketchUp to do the same! :roll:

I'm reading through the manual now. I can tell that the manual was translated to English from another language. Sorry, but a big part of the my day-to-day job is QA/Tech Editing. So if my remarks seem a little snarky (as some people like to say), please forgive me. It's the Technical editor in me taking over. :lol:

If you would like to see my editorial comments, please say so and I'll be glad to send them off when I get done reading. If not, that's okay too.

Rick

rickgraham 

Postby notareal » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Have to say that there are not that many native English speakers in the team. If you have comments on manual, you're most welcome to send them. Perhaps directly to Patrick (dot) Nieborg (_at_) thearender (dot) com.

notareal 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby notareal » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:54 pm

@sepo and others with png alpha, updated the guide at SU2TH forum.

notareal 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby EarthMover » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:02 pm

notareal wrote:@sepo and others with png alpha, updated the guide at SU2TH forum.

Thanks Notareal, I was able to get it working fine, but it sure is a lot of steps. I couldn't image trying to render one of my landscape designs and having to do that 50 or more times for all the plants I use. Hopefully Tomasz will get it to the point that the SU2TH exporter will do all of those steps automatically for every .png or .tif image with transparency.

BTW - loving the Micropoly displacement.
3D Artist at Clearstory 3D Imaging
Guide Tool at Winning With Sketchup
Content Creator at Skapeup
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby notareal » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:40 pm

I think that clipmap from png alpha will need some work-flow change. Anyway, in studio, you should be able to do it a bit faster, but I did create a example that works in with both SU2TH and Studio.
When you work in the studio, you should keep textures>bitmaps tab open - it fastens work flow a lot, as you can drop texture directly to clipmap and so. Also one should merge layer/scatter/structure to one panel with ctrl -click. By default they are not merged as if one works with a laptop or smaller screen, part of the panel could go hidden.
Last edited by notareal on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

notareal 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby D-space » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:02 pm

majid wrote:Thea is really amazing, I love it, also love your renders ,pete.

What the... and when did you managed that copy of Thea maj?
Really envious...but still pretty awesome renders! :)

D-space 

Postby majid » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:36 am

tridem wrote:
majid wrote:..

If these are first tries.... what can you achieve within a month Majid?? :lol:

it is not of me, it is of Thea so smart so genius ;), simplicity and sort of being clear, simple and powerful (as KT is) with a new innovative approach, with really realastic results. also I love the relighting system and try to post more renders, soon :). also I guess need 2-3 months to be fully adopted with Thea
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby steelers05 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:53 pm

looking great guys...always love to see how well people transition to other rendering engines. Keep up the good work

steelers05 

Postby majid » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:12 pm

steelers05 wrote:looking great guys...always love to see how well people transition to other rendering engines. Keep up the good work

as a KT seeker, I first migrated to twilight (that is still very handy and fast enough) and now I guess my future woulould be the Thea, as it is fast (comparing to simillar same-level engines) simple and prepares wonderful results. here are some car renders.
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby majid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:47 pm

I like these two recent renders, I guess they have more rainy mood than before ones. specially after only 22 pass , the result is acceptable for me. I turned off the light for the second image , using Relight system. I like this option. also I like the displaced material of pavement
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Re: The a render

Postby sketchnl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:51 pm

whow what a skills. Nice work. and it looks very good.

sketchnl 

Postby michaliszissiou » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:16 pm

These last too are great. About displacement: you have to use 16-32 bit B&W maps to have great results. This displacement from colour diffuse maps is not the best solution. Scale effects will occur...
michaliszissiou 

Postby fymoro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:08 am

Wow!!! Very impressive Majid. :thumb:

fymoro 

Postby EarthMover » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Really cool Majid. I like the displacement, but agree with Michalis, a 16 bit displacement map would make a big difference in precision.

I thought the cars were a bit dark also. Did a little lightening to this one.
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby majid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanx mates for feedbacks, @earthmover: due to your postproed imag, I adjusted the Iso , Gamma and brightess and add 90persent of vignetting at my render, so this is a pure Thea render, biased method is used and it has been rendered at about 2 hour on my crappy machine :)
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby EarthMover » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Looks great Majid, although the ground stone looks like it has a coat of shellac on top. There will always be lots less noise when you can brighten an image when rendering as opposed to in photoshop, especially in an 8-bit jpeg!

Does Thea export as .EXR or .HDR 32 bit? I can't remember and had to uninstall the SU2TH exporter because it's too unstable.
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby majid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:29 pm

I was trying to simulate a pavement after a nice rain, donno how much acceptable is the result. and yea it supports the HDR and EXR, also good news on exporter, u can use usual SU2KT or even Twiligh xml exporter instead of the usual SU2Thea ;)
edit: thank you pete on your description of new exporter
Last edited by majid on Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby solo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:31 pm

There is a new SU2Th exporter available BTW.

http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... =81&t=2161
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby EarthMover » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:16 pm

Sweet. I'm installing it now. Kudos to Tomasz. Hopefully it's fixed some crash issues. I completely understand we are still in Beta phase as well, so all of the bugs will get ironed out eventually. :thumb: Keep up the good work Thea team.
EarthMover 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby majid » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:17 pm

just palying, IBL lighting, biased rendering. a WIP. model :3dwh+editing
majid 
Top SketchUcator