Randomness

Re: Romanian Locomotives

Postby dolphus » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:25 am

Marion do you know where i could get plans for that loco? sorry to hijack the thread :?:

dolphus 

Postby bahri » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:11 am

very impresive model man....
and very detailed....

bahri 

Postby Marian » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:12 am

dolphus wrote:Marion do you know where i could get plans for that loco? sorry to hijack the thread :?:

I googled a bit, but couldn't find blueprints for it, it's based on an older electric locomotive, LE 5100, which was built in Romania under an ASEA Sweden licence.

http://cfr.stfp.net/?la=E
i bet you can modify it to turn it into the Phoenix.

The Phoenix is probably too new, the first two were completed in 2008-2009. Some pictures of lights and clips of it in action here:
http://forum.lokomotiv.ro/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3539&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
Marian 

Postby urgen » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:28 pm

....very good modeling and texturing :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: ... thanks!
--pupil forever...------
urgen 

Postby raduteo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:08 pm

Thank you all.
Carnotaurus WIP (I guess I have to rename the thread now) - about 60% done, the claws/teeth/eyes are next to be finalized.

Texture:

As aways, C&C is more than welcome.
Thanks.

raduteo 

Postby stefanq » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:24 pm

WOW! It's more and more obvious that you really are an artist. Respect!
stefanq 

Postby fymoro » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:37 pm

your modelling is perfect :thumb:

fymoro 

Postby Marian » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:13 pm

Man can't believe that's sketchup... :o
How about some wireframe shot.
VERY GOOD WORK :thumb:
Marian 

Postby Jackson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:19 pm

Get the heck outta here! You can't tell me that's been textured in SU?..... and if so, HOW?

SCF really needs a "we're not worthy" smiley.

You should start a new thread for this so more people see it.
Jackson

Jackson 

Postby Gaieus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:27 pm

Yeah, those texture images make one suspect another application (also) involved. Like with this sphinx in the WH - that image is definitely not a "plain" texture applied in SU. So what was your workflow here?

I wish SU had better texturing tools - and even plugins are very scarce.

And yes, indeed, I think both the locomotives (great job, BTW) and the dragon deserve their own topic. If you want, I can split the topic.
Gaieus 

Postby raduteo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:29 pm

The texture was made in photoshop (obviously), however, the texture UVW mapping was made in Blender (it's free), you export your SU model as .3ds or .obj, spend 5-10 minutes creating the layout, export it from Blender and import it in SU as .3ds and the UV coords get carried through. Apart from the texture the model has applied to it a displacement map and bumpmap.

This is one of probably three dinosaur models that will populate my paleoscene.

Thanks.
Last edited by raduteo on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raduteo 

Postby Gaieus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:31 pm

OK, thanks, Radu for explaining. This makes sense (and me less jealous for something I thought didn't know about SU)
:D
Gaieus 

Postby raduteo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:40 pm

Indeed, would be great if SU would possess such a tool/plugin, I just wish I knew about it before I started projecting plane textures on the locomotive, it would of spared me 8 hours.

Also, there be no dragons here!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnotaurus

raduteo 

Postby Gaieus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:58 pm

No matter what wikipedia says, these monsters are dragons to me.
:o
Gaieus 

Postby Jackson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:01 pm

Raduteo,

Thanks for explaining that workflow, I'll have to take another look at Blender if it has such good UV mapping tools.

Is this still rendered in V-Ray for SU? If so I'm suprised the UV mapping from the imported Blender mesh renders properly in V-Ray- I was led to believe by one of the developers that distorted maps in SU couldn't be "read" properly by render plugins.
Jackson

Jackson 

Postby raduteo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:14 pm

I had no idea there was such a problem/speculation, it works fine for me. However, remember not to go over 2048x2048.

raduteo 

Postby dolphus » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:56 am

Call me biased but this is not as impressive as your locomotives, but i can understand wanting to change....maybe ? :roll:

dolphus 

Postby Jackson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:37 am

raduteo wrote:I had no idea there was such a problem/speculation, it works fine for me. However, remember not to go over 2048x2048.

V-Ray can read any size of diffuse bitmap, so there's no reason you can't load a huge bitmap into SU and although it will be downsampled to 2048 x 2048 in the SU viewport, V-Ray will render it at full resolution.

I'm intrigued about the UV mapping, it may only be SU's in-built UV mapping tool which doesn't work properly with render plugins.

dolphus wrote:Call me biased but this is not as impressive as your locomotives, but i can understand wanting to change....maybe ?

However much you prefer locomotives, how you could find anything negative to say about such incredible modelling and texturing is beyond me. :roll:
Jackson

Jackson 

Postby raduteo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:05 pm

V-Ray can read any size of diffuse bitmap, so there's no reason you can't load a huge bitmap into SU and although it will be downsampled to 2048 x 2048 in the SU viewport, V-Ray will render it at full resolution.

I'm intrigued about the UV mapping, it may only be SU's in-built UV mapping tool which doesn't work properly with render plugins.

I have no idea, I'm probably the least experienced guy when it comes to those things, so far I'm pleased I didn't run into any problems.

Call me biased but this is not as impressive as your locomotives, but i can understand wanting to change....maybe

From a modelling standpoint any organic form is much harder to do than a locomotive for example, nevermind studying theropod anatomy and all the recent papers to have in the end a correct model, I'm sorry if I failed to deliver in your eyes. I don't quite understand the last part of your sentence.

raduteo 

Postby david_h » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:18 pm

I think they are all awesome. Just imagine how good you will be when you combine your gifts and start modeling Romanian theropods. :mrgreen:
If I make it look easy. . .then it probably is.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby michaliszissiou » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:57 pm

Great work. Great modeling!

About this work flow, blender's UV mapping just rocks. My favorite.

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20553
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=19867

Just a question. This is modeled in SU? Or blender, or even better zbrush+blender? Or mudbox?
This model came from decimation. See wire frame.
SU is a fine modeler for buildings but not for this kind of organic forms, doesn't have a UV editor, doesn't support huge polys (or it does after all?)
Last edited by michaliszissiou on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaliszissiou 

Postby McGyver » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:24 pm

Well, that did it... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Thank you for the inspiration!!! I'm gonna go dig out my NYC R-34 subway and have another go at it.... I guess this shows what a truly talented person can do with SU!!! Great Model!!
McGyver 

Postby michaliszissiou » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:12 pm

A second thought. This last model is baked in another app. And that's OK. A talented person you are. :thumb:
Anyway baking is my favorite work flow.
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=21549
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=21352
michaliszissiou 

Re: Randomness

Postby raduteo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:35 pm

Thread renamed to something more appropriate.

raduteo 

Postby olishea » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:41 pm

awesome. i dont even like this car but you make it look sweeeeeet!!
oli
olishea 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby raduteo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:45 pm

It's probably the most tasteful looking supercar currently out.
Will post a sketch of this car as soon as I scan it.

raduteo 

Postby david_h » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:09 pm

(Buzzer Sounds)

Okay . .. I am going to have to ask from a ruling from our panel of judges. That has to be a photo of the real car.. . . :mrgreen:
If I make it look easy. . .then it probably is.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby michaliszissiou » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Glorious! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
michaliszissiou 

Postby Marian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:26 pm

WOW :o :shock: , are you sure that's a sketchup model??
It looks AMAZING!!!!!!!
Marian 

Postby sepo » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:36 pm

This is amazing modeling and very fine rendering man.

sepo 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery