Randomness

Re: Romanian Locomotives

Postby teofas » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:17 am

this are insane models, congrats!! really great stuff!! :thumb:

teofas 

Postby raduteo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:48 am

Thank you all (si salut Romanilor!)
Originally I had planned to make them for Microsoft Train Simulator/Rail Simulator so I was limited to 50,000 polys per model, this particular locomotive is my 2nd model since I started using Sketchup, the rest will follow up soon in the 'textured bin' (hopefully). More to come.. (not just locomotives)

raduteo 

Postby stefanq » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:51 pm

Outstanding result, Radu!
Sincer vorbind, ma furnica pe spinare, dat fiind faptul ca am facut liceul la cfr, si in perioada de practica, mi-am petrecut timpul stergand motorina prin panaramele astea de LDE-uri. Esti meserias...bravos!
stefanq 

Postby tbd » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:16 pm

stefanq: please use English so other users can understand the fun that you had in highschool :mrgreen:

raduteo: nice modelling and texturing. keep them coming !
SketchUp Ruby Consultant | Podium 1.x developer
http://plugins.ro
tbd 

Postby raduteo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Thank you both!
As a railfan I sure do envy the fact that you got to smell and hear (and clean) the delightful SULZER 12LDA28 engine.

raduteo 

Postby matteo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:02 pm

Absolutely great work! the textures are outstanding.

matteo 

Postby raduteo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Went back to refine this game model a bit, better textures, better geometry:

raduteo 

Postby solo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Great photo, cannot wait for the render.. :mrgreen:

That's awesome!!, well done.
http://www.solos-art.com

I'm better with polys than words
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby Marian » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:51 pm

:thumb: Beautiful!!
Last edited by Marian on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marian 

Postby •BTM » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:54 pm

:o :shock: :o
that's incredible!!!

•BTM 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby smokinbakin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:32 pm

Fantastic!
Last edited by smokinbakin on Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Set your goals low, and hope you don't get lower"

smokinbakin 

Postby Marian » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:39 pm

smokinbakin wrote:This is going to be great once textured!

It's already textured ;)
Marian 

Postby sepo » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Fantastic texturing...nice Vray renders. :thumb: :thumb:

sepo 

Postby smokinbakin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Marian wrote:
smokinbakin wrote:This is going to be great once textured!

It's already textured ;)

Sorry I had only looked at the first page
"Set your goals low, and hope you don't get lower"

smokinbakin 

Postby dolphus » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:56 am

Thanks for sharing you don't know it but me looking at your work re-started my passion for railways i am seriously now trying to draw locos etc you have set a magnificent standard to strive to thank you and please keep on showing us your work :fecstatic:

dolphus 

Postby marked001 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:49 pm

wow...these are ridiculous! amazing texturing....and modelling...but the texturing...just unreal....
http://www.revision21vis.com

instagram: revi21on
marked001 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby tinanne » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:02 am

Absolutely gorgeous! I tend to avoid the "industrial" models that show up as they aren't usually my cup of tea, but these are just beautiful!
Executive Director : American Society of Architectural Illustrators
AIP 30 Competition opens soon. ASAI.org

Architectural Rendering
tinanne 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby silver_shadow » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:36 am

Really really cool. Well done. I really think youre texturing skills are superb and should give us a load down how you go by putting textures on and preparing it. I love the detailed white models and it actually shows off a great deal of detail. You should build a mountain and put the train on a nice high steel bridge with a huge waterfall coming down the mountain as the train exits the tunnel. Superbly done! I would really love to see more.

silver_shadow 

Postby raduteo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Thank you all.
As a 2D artist I find texturing the same as doing any other artistical piece, now it's time to leave real clay modelling for 3D modelling and go all digital. I did another re-texture on the locomotive, tried to recreate a classic that's long been gone:http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/4052/da711.jpg

Now as I am more confortable with the program, I feel ready to tackle my concepts and transfer them to 3D, so hopefully when the time comes to post another image it will be something completely different, possibly this:

raduteo 

Postby Jackson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:41 am

Radu,

Utterly stunning work. The clay model renders on the first few pages were very impressive (very curious how you did the rails, sleepers and ballast stones between them- are they rendered or Photoshopped?), but the texturing work is unbelievable! :o

Aside from your incredible texture map making skills, I'm especially curious how you applied the texture onto the main bodywork of the train, around the chamfered corners for example? It's so well done it looks pelt mapped.

Stunning, looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.
Jackson

Jackson 

Postby raduteo » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks. The railway track from the first renders is a simple model from the warehouse, the stones are just textures.

I did have a problem with applying textures to rounded corners because projecting from either the front or the side distors the texture so what I did was project the texture onto the curved surface, went and turned off projection on every single face that makes up the curve and repositioned manually untill it fit, a tool that unwraps surfaces such as this into flat planes would of been a huge time saver, one more:

raduteo 

Postby Jackson » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:51 pm

raduteo wrote:what I did was project the texture onto the curved surface, went and turned off projection on every single face that makes up the curve and repositioned manually untill it fit

I was really hoping you'd discovered some fantastic way of pelt mapping in SU that you could share with us, but I see you've used sheer skill and dogged determination to achieve these amazing results! Thanks for explaining that and for sharing these amazing images, I just can't stop studying them. :D
Last edited by Jackson on Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson

Jackson 

Postby raduteo » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:27 am

Thank you, I do wish there was a simpler way to texture map, I did try to use the unfold tool but it didn't quite work, I'm guessing a plugin that would make texturing alot easier would be one that flattens the model, allows you to apply the texture and then a command that undoes the flatten but still keeps the texture. I have no idea what pelt mapping is.

Thanks!

raduteo 

Postby david_h » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Pelt Mapping. . .applying a texture map to a dead animal. :mrgreen:
If I make it look easy. . .then it probably is.
david_h 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Jackson » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:20 pm

I've never actually used it, but pelt mapping is a UV mapping method whereby you select a "seam" of edges on a mesh (exactly like a taxidermist cutting the seams in an animal's pelt to remove it in one piece, hence the name). The mesh is then unfolded to form a 2D surface- which you then use as a template for creating a texture map. On applying the texture to the map the program automatically applies the correct UV mapping (including distortion) to each face according to their original 3D position. It's possible in 3D Max, but I think SU would have to be re-written from the ground up to implement this feature. :(

I'm still curious how you achieved such good dirt and rust mapping on the trains- is there much post-processing, or is that all in the actual textures? It really looks like you used ambient occlusion to get depth in all the details, but I didn't think Podium supported AO? Any chance we could see some close-ups? Raw SU images would be very informative! :)
Jackson

Jackson 

Postby raduteo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:02 pm

It's rendered in V-Ray, I don't know much about it as I am in the process of learning how to render, there isn't much post processing going on as you can compare the render with the naked view of the model in SU, the other ones had a bit more stay-time in PS though, the textures are big, 4096x4096, I split the model in two (notice the line in the middle of the model) so i can stitch together 2 textures of 2048.

(I'll repost this since the other image isn't showing up anymore)
Anyway, I'm prettymuch done with locomotives, time for more advanced stuff. Thanks!

raduteo 

Postby Jim Smith » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:05 pm

I just wanted to add my "outstanding work" commendation to all the others. I am very envious of your skill level and eye for realism. Keep up the good work and please let us see more - you set the bar high for everyone, which is a good thing!
"Out of clutter find simplicity,
from discord find harmony,
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
Albert Einstein
Jim Smith 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby plot-paris » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:45 pm

wow, sivershadow got some competition coming up there... ;)

honestly, thats some nice model and rendering. fantastic job. I am eager to see you putting your hands on stuff like the "warrior sketch"...
plot-paris 

Postby ely862me » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:47 pm

raduteo wrote: I'm pretty much done with locomotives, time for more advanced stuff. Thanks!

:lol:
If these amazing locomotives aren t advanced, i wonder what is advanced for you!!

Elisei
Elisei (sketchupper)
ely862me 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Marian » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Before leaving trains behind you should try making this one too, seems very similar to the old locos, Phoenix by Softronic Craiova , so no major modelling headaches, maybe just texturing wise.
Keep up the good work mate :thumb:
Last edited by Marian on Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marian 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery