Export For CAM software

Export For CAM software

Postby yvan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:24 pm

As a shopfitter / cabinetmaker I love the way Sketchup works! We currently use Sketchup and Layout to design shops and to produce presentation and workshop drawings.

I would like to use Sketchup models and export them to CAM softwares such as Enroute or Bobcam.
Is there a way to export a series of DXF files generated from the largest face of each selected component in the model.
Each of the DXF file should be named the same as the component name. Then I would like use a CSV file created directly in sketchup with part attributes such as: part name; dxf file name; material name; board thickness; edge banding properties etc...

This CSV file can then be used as an import file in many CAM softwares.

Has anyone seen or used sketchup for manufacturing?

Kind Regards,

Yvan Reichenbach
0

yvan 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby TIG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:31 pm

I'm sure it's quite possible.
However, there's considerable coding involved - the Plugins forum [Request] is perhaps the best place to air this.
I have written very complicated Exporters etc but have nothing quite like this as a crib.
0
TIG
User avatar
TIG 
Global Moderator
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:44 pm

I was hopping someone could make this with SketchUP - I think it is possible. But only limited attempts here and there. What I have found so far:

http://www.sketchdata.com/
http://sketchuppluginreviews.com/2010/0 ... in-review/
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthrea ... t=SketchUP

There is a lot of useful data we can put inside a dynamic component, but the problem is to export it from SketchUP in way suitable for production. At least as a cvs or html report and cutlis. I made components that calculate area, price, contains data for the grain, banding, oversize and etc., but I have to learn Ruby to make a script that exports this data.
AS a compromise if we can export dynamic's component options to a cutting optimization software as CutListPLus it can export the cutting diagram as a dxf for CNC. I'm sure there is a huge demand for a such softwre and we a ready to pay for it! See this thread: http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/cad.pl?read=660643
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby honoluludesktop » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 pm

Yvan, Why does the dxf file have to start with the largest face of each component? What is the selection criteria for the following faces, and how do want to handle sub components?

If you re-post this in the plug-in section, it would help people like TIG if you provide as complete a description of your requirements as you can.
0
User avatar
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby yvan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:57 pm

honoluludesktop wrote:Yvan, Why does the dxf file have to start with the largest face of each component? What is the selection criteria for the following faces, and how do want to handle sub components?

If you re-post this in the plug-in section, it would help people like TIG if you provide as complete a description of your requirements as you can.

Maybe the plugin should let you manually select the faces to export? The face with most machining.
0

yvan 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby sketchdata » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:21 pm

We are currently working on a project to export data from SUP to the 2020 Shopware software Product Planner. We are also beginning work on a reporting program to generate PDF and text files, but having trouble finding a solution that will work on both PC and Mac. Future plans do include SUP plug-ins for defining and exporting CNC machining operations to a DXF file.
0

sketchdata 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby xrok1 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:04 pm

project or product? ;)
0
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

xrok1 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:23 pm

sketchdata wrote:We are currently working on a project to export data from SUP to the 2020 Shopware software Product Planner. We are also beginning work on a reporting program to generate PDF and text files, but having trouble finding a solution that will work on both PC and Mac. Future plans do include SUP plug-ins for defining and exporting CNC machining operations to a DXF file.


I checked some of yours plugins and dynamic components and they look promising. We badly need reporting plugin and CNC connection. It is a shame that all the power of dynamic components cannot be used for calculations, cut list and reporting!
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby yvan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:44 am

dedmin wrote:
sketchdata wrote:We are currently working on a project to export data from SUP to the 2020 Shopware software Product Planner. We are also beginning work on a reporting program to generate PDF and text files, but having trouble finding a solution that will work on both PC and Mac. Future plans do include SUP plug-ins for defining and exporting CNC machining operations to a DXF file.


I checked some of yours plugins and dynamic components and they look promising. We badly need reporting plugin and CNC connection. It is a shame that all the power of dynamic components cannot be used for calculations, cut list and reporting!

Do you have a link to your plugins?
0

yvan 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:47 am

yvan wrote:
dedmin wrote:
sketchdata wrote:We are currently working on a project to export data from SUP to the 2020 Shopware software Product Planner. We are also beginning work on a reporting program to generate PDF and text files, but having trouble finding a solution that will work on both PC and Mac. Future plans do include SUP plug-ins for defining and exporting CNC machining operations to a DXF file.


I checked some of yours plugins and dynamic components and they look promising. We badly need reporting plugin and CNC connection. It is a shame that all the power of dynamic components cannot be used for calculations, cut list and reporting!

Do you have a link to your plugins?


See my post above - the first link.
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:32 am

I'm not very familiar with the CAM technology, but could the way SketchUP handles the geometry be a problem? That everything is just a bunch of lines, instead of real curves?
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby yvan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:24 am

dedmin wrote:I'm not very familiar with the CAM technology, but could the way SketchUP handles the geometry be a problem? That everything is just a bunch of lines, instead of real curves?

Sketchup is a mesh modelling software. you can find more info about mesh modelling here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon_mesh.
Smooth curves can be achieved by increasing the number of segments.
With a CNC flatbed router we currently export faces as DXF polylines with skp_to_dxf plugin and then import these dxf files in the CAM software for tooling and G code generation.
0
Last edited by yvan on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yvan 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:54 am

I know this, but the question remains.
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby yvan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:34 pm

I will not give-up!
SU's dynamic components architecture is so powerful that it would be a shame if it cannot be used for manufacturing.
My wish is to find a script that would let you select a face in each components as primary face to be sent to the CNC.

Then,


Then all parts should be exported as individual dxf polylines in a specified folder ready for import in a CAM/nesting package.
0

yvan 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Fully agree with You!! I wonder why nobody did this already - there are so many fellow woodworkers ready to pay for this!! But when You export a 5mm circle from SketchUP as .dxf it is not a circle anymore - that is why I asked above if this is a problem with CAM?
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:52 pm

And there is need for a hole drilling plugin like this one - http://www.smartmachining.com/
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby sketchdata » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:27 pm

I think holes will work better if a component is used, that way center point is easy to determine, and overall number of entities is reduced. Thinking there would be a component for 5mm system holes, 8mm construction holes, etc, and an attribute for export DXF layer. For routing paths, I think a DXF Export Layer attribute should handle tool diameter, depth of cut, any cutter compensation, and lead in/outs, depending on the CAM post. So the plan is to create a script that writes a DXF for each face thats defined for machining and create any routing and/or drilling on that face.
0

sketchdata 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby yvan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:55 pm

dedmin wrote:Fully agree with You!! I wonder why nobody did this already - there are so many fellow woodworkers ready to pay for this!! But when You export a 5mm circle from SketchUP as .dxf it is not a circle anymore - that is why I asked above if this is a problem with CAM?

It is not a problem. If you place the holes in a layer called a certain way ex: "DV_5" you can then set your CAM software to automatically use a 5mm bit to drill to the centre of any geometry placed in the layer "DV_5". no matter what shape the geometry is.
For curved free form shapes, increasing the number of segments will produce an acceptable result.
0

yvan 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:49 am

That is good news - I was wondering for a long time can this be a problem!
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby TIG » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:38 am

Note that you can extract a DC's 'attributes' and use them in your 'reports'... there are several threads about this already... :?
0
TIG
User avatar
TIG 
Global Moderator
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:26 am

Still, there isn't a clear solution for exporting DC options.
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby TIG » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:37 am

Since an 'option' is itself an attribute can't you use that to 'filter' the other attributes as needed ?
http://code.google.com/apis/sketchup/do ... rting.html
0
TIG
User avatar
TIG 
Global Moderator
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:50 am

Maybe I could give You an answer if I know anything about Ruby programing :shock: Downloaded the book "Automatic SketchUP" and I'm even more confused! :roll: :roll:
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby TIG » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:00 pm

Can we recap on the issues under discussion here...

Someone wants a tool that lets you export a selected DC as a 2D DXF - you pick the face to be 'up'.
So the tool needs to find the picked face in the DC and then make a 2D DXF from it ?
Perhaps the DC options are only needed for other reporting and not the DXF making ??
The DXF is made a report is made referencing the DXF and containing certain info extracted from the DC ?

Please could the 'requester' post a step-sheet with images, results etc on how this is currently done 'manually' so that the automation is then clearer... I must be readily doable ? :ugeek:
0
TIG
User avatar
TIG 
Global Moderator
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:33 pm

I can comment only on exporting DC options, not attributes! Here we put all the valuable information that is visible and usable in SketchUp and in SketchUp Pro. We can make different components and put the info we need - for legs, doors, panels, handles and etc. that have the same options - we can select all the legs and change their options at once - for instance color or price. Then we need to export all this for reporting - the best as cvs so we can import in Excel or Calc and combine all the elements to get this

2010-08-03_142524.jpg

2010-08-03_143103.jpg
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby TIG » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:51 pm

The the options are the attributes. You need a [new] attribute reader customized to your needs... :?:
0
TIG
User avatar
TIG 
Global Moderator
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby dedmin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:58 pm

Does SketchUP holds all the attributes and the options in the same dictionaries? If so then the reader needs to export only the options of the selected components from that table.
0

dedmin 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby TIG » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:08 pm

The instance should hold various attributes values, the dictionary can be named whatever the creator called it - e.g. 'product_info'.
The DC's options/attributes are found in a special 'dynamic_attributes' dictionary.
The code at the end of the link I posted is specifically made to show you how to extract such info from a model / instance etc...
0
TIG
User avatar
TIG 
Global Moderator
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby yvan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:32 pm

The geometries should also be exported as follow:
1. Create a dynamic component with attributes to be exported in the csv file.

2. Select primary face in all components to be machined. (components such as hardware are excluded if no face is selected). Only one face per component can be selected.

3. Tooling is set by placing geometries in specific layers. For example vertical drilling with a 5mm bit would be associated with the dxf layer called “DV_5”; Routing offset for external shape with DXF layer “ROX_9” (9 for a 9mm router bit.) any combination of machining can be accomplished by linking tooling “strategies” in the CAM software with DXF layers created by Sketchup.

4. When the model is ready all “primary” faces are exported as DXF polylines in a specified folder together with the csv file.

5. The csv file is then used to automate the import in the CAM software (Enroute, Aspan etc...)
0

yvan 
 

Re: Export For CAM software

Postby sketchdata » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:29 pm

I use a script to export the Entity Information, Attributes, and Outline (BOM Structure) from the SUP drawing into CSV files. But the CSVs are not "flat files", they use the EntityID to link records between each file after they have been imported into a database. I have attached samples of the files, perhaps the Data functions inside OpenOffice can help "flatten" the attribute information? or they could be imported into an OpenOffice Base ".odb" database, then you could write queries? Not sure if OpenOffice can link to the .csv files like MS Access does, and then you wouldn't have to re-import each time? Anyways, the script is very BETA at this point.
0

sketchdata 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 

Next


 

Return to Extensions & Applications Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Visit our sponsors: