push/pull import from AutoCAD  Topic is solved

The ideal place for beginners to get help using SketchUp

push/pull import from AutoCAD  Topic is solved

Postby hdjones » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 pm

I imported a rectangle with rounded corners from AutoCAD. I can't do anything with the rectangle except erase it. What am I doing wrong?
See attached.

hdjones 

Re: push/pull import from AutoCAD

Postby TIG » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 pm

The imported CAD file has arrived into the model as a component-instance.
Therefore, only editing operations relating to that type of entity are allowed - e.g. erase.
However, another option [if you select it and right-click... OR more simply, you double-click it] is 'Edit'...

Once inside the edited 'container' [note that this applies to component-instances and their cousins 'groups'], then you can perform the additional operations that would have been afforded to you within the model's context itself.

Once you are 'editing' the component you can then simply over-draw one of its long edges and it should form a new face.
In your case, because it's all draw at Z=0 that resultant face will be oriented 'downwards'.
If you intend to PushPull that face 'up' then that is OK.
Otherwise you can select the resultant face, right-click > context-menu > Reverse the face, so the orientation in the next process is correct.
But, if you have already inadvertently extruded a wrongly oriented face, then you can select the geometry and use the context-menu to reverse all of it in one step...

It's best to keep face orientation correct as you go, otherwise fixing it later on might get painful !

PS:
Drawing that simple faced Rectangle, and then using the Arc tool to fillet one corner, and then repeating it by double-click to the other three corners, would probably be much easier that importing the rather simplistic CAD file !
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby hdjones » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks for the answer. I actually want to use complex shapes that I have drawn in AutoCAD but thought I would start with something very simple.

hdjones 

Postby TBoy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:32 am

TIG wrote:PS:
.... and then repeating it by double-click to the other three corners, would probably be much easier ....

Repeat multiple actions with double-click - how exactly to do this?

TBoy 

Postby pbacot » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:30 am

TBoy wrote:
TIG wrote:PS:
.... and then repeating it by double-click to the other three corners, would probably be much easier ....

Repeat multiple actions with double-click - how exactly to do this?[/quote]

video 3:35
MacOSX (El Capitan) ShetchUp Pro v16 Layout Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby TBoy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:17 pm

Thank you!

TBoy 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Newbie Forum