What's your beginners tip?

The ideal place for beginners to get help using SketchUp

Re: What's your beginners tip?

Postby jgb » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:15 pm

All I get from my wife for any request for anything is
Access Denied :cry:

And so begins another downward spiral of a once good and interesting thread...... :roll:

Postby rbecker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:00 pm

I'll add this one because it took me way too long to figure out.

If you have a component you've used throughout your model, and you realize you have several instances you need to alter in the same fashion, but you don't want that to apply to all the instances;

Select one of the instances, choose "make unique". Now, select the other components you want to alter. Go to the component browser, make sure you are viewing components "In Model". Find the new unique instance you created, right-click, and choose "replace selected". You now have a new group of components, edit one and they all get the same new treatment!

rbecker 

Postby Gaieus » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Ross, if you want to make a bunch of instances unique, just select them all then right click on any of them and make unique. This operation will make all selected instances of this new definition - so you spared the replace step now (which can indeed be useful though for other actions).
Gaieus 

Postby rbecker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Gaieus,
DOH! I thought I tried that and it made every selected component individually unique. I just tested it again and it does exactly what you say, which is what I was trying in the first place. Thanks!

rbecker 

Postby Gaieus » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Never mind (we have a doh thread somewhere if you want to join - many of us have posted in there about our "doh's" too). ;)

The "Replace selected" function is indeed a good one and a useful hint for newbies in this beginners' tips topic to look at. :thumb:
Gaieus 

Postby opal » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

my noob two cents.. lots of places I've seen it suggested that we start with something simple, like a box or a chair (not one of the lovely overstuffed varieties either) I disagree.. my first model was a wedding cake.. tiers, pillars and decorations (unfathomable poly count) but making a box or a square chair isn't going to teach the tools.
My tip is learn the tools. sure, make that box but do everything you possibly can to that box with each and every tool in the arsenal.. if it looks cool - do it again!
opal 

Postby Julia198x » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:21 pm

These are all really great beginner tips. Thank you everyone!!! :thumb:

Julia198x 

Postby EWWinterbach » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:11 pm

As a newby - Myself - best is to play and pracice and keep playing playing playing - its such an easy program and once youve played a bit - ask question from the guys here that know it thru and thru

by the way - do u know how to make fabric - like as in fold of fabric in random
I dunno and its doing my head in
can u help
i see it has been done in Library

if so please email me : info@in2interiors.co.za

regards from : Cape Town South Africa

EWWinterbach 

Postby Trogluddite » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Learn to think more negatively!

In my first few attempts at making my own objects, I found that I was trying to make lots of little 'construction kit' parts, and then ending up with nasty overlaps and internal faces when I tried to 'build' my object.

But, it is often better to think more like like a sculptor - don't 'build' an object, rather 'carve' it from a solid block to remove the bits you don't want. The push/pull tool is your biggest friend for this.
Using 'intersect faces' (or Solid Tools if you have SU Pro) makes light work of 'carving' even the most complex 'negative shapes'.

For example, I needed to make some realistic screws with nice rounded 'mushroom' heads. But constructing the slots for a Phillps screwdriver into a curved surface isn't easy (and concave areas are always a bit awkward, even with X-ray view or wireframe).
Far easier to construct a nice easy convex 'screwdriver' component, and then use that to carve out the slots using subtraction.

This is as much about how you see the objects around you, as it is about SU technique (just as in painting or sculpture) - so it's worth training your eye to see the shapes of the 'nothingness' in objects as much as the solid matter.

Trogluddite 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby mics_54 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:47 am

my attempt at fabric
fabric.skp

mics_54 

Postby EWWinterbach » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 am

mics_54 wrote:my attempt at fabric
fabric.skp

thank you so much for this example
\
it open up my world to the fabric thing that was holding my back
your example has helped heaps
now i am creating some awesome stuff
See it just needs one person to lead the way and the rest of us learn so much

bravo !!!!!

EWWinterbach 

Postby Daniel » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Whatever your modeling, pay attention to how things are made, and model accordingly. And, pay attention to how you position your textures.
My avatar is an anachronism.
Daniel 

Postby xphatjunkie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:07 am

My beginner tip (in landscape practice) : always save many scenes for every match perspectives, plan, detail, and section

:berserk:

xphatjunkie 

Postby DanYHKim » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:27 pm

I always set up custom keyboard shortcuts, then save them to a file. I keep this file in a USB Flash drive that I carry with me, so it's handy. I also use the "Large Tool Set" instead of the "Getting Started" set, and set buttons small.

My department has computers in the lab with SketchUp installed, but students do not have Admin rights. They cannot install plugins or components into the usual places. It turns out that you can copy the program folder for SketchUp to a Flash drive, and run it from there, if the host computer also has SketchUp installed. It may require that the same or higher version be installed, but haven't tested that yet.

So, I have told students that they can install SketchUp on their home computers, install plugins and component bonus packs, and then copy the program folder to a USB drive. If they run the program from there, it will give them access to the plugin and components folders, which is very handy. Not exactly "portable" SketchUp, but close.

I have a video of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VQmkz-MraA
The relevant portion of this video begins at 5:25

In truth, there's probably no real reason why SketchUp can't be reconfigured to run as a portable app. Only a few minor changes would do it I'm sure.
Last edited by DanYHKim on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DanYHKim 

Postby DanYHKim » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Two-sided Faces

I don't usually deal with materials and faces, but this is a useful characteristic. Faces have two different sides, and are usually colored differently. It is possible to make one face transparent, while the other side is opaque. I use this when modeling a house, so I can see the interior of the house when looking through the top, but a solid ceiling shows when I have POV inside the house.

Here's a video of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivv4qcdX6lM

Related video done by someone else:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBcI7Rzo6yU

DanYHKim 

Postby Gaieus » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Yes, that's a good trick. I also did it here where I painted the back face of the thick wall transparent so that windows "seem" to cut through those thick walls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITO-oaowwrU
Gaieus 

Postby Tobobo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Another tip, keep coming back to this and the 'Duh' threads again and again. I keep forgetting things that people have mentioned.
Toby

Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Tobobo 

Postby peter_shaw » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:18 pm

when composing a scene for rendering, the look around tool is quite handy. you can change your eye height by simply typing in numbers while using the tool.
peter_shaw 

Postby petropix » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:58 am

Beginners tip? Use a programable multi-button mouse. I recommend Logitech Revolution VX, smallish and elegant (unfortunately discontinued). You can assign 10 functions and now you're a speed demon in SketchUp. There aren't that many makes out there which is frustrating because I've worn out four of these Logitech mice and the new Logitech iterations are cheaply made with fewer functions, although there's the option of going to a full-blown gamer's mouse.

petropix 

Postby vjekobalas » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:47 pm

I'm a beginner but I'll allow myself to be a bit philosophical
as I've come to a conclusion which may or may not mean anything
to you - besides going through all the sketchup videos and duplicating
the steps in the videos and understanding the basics of the tools, my tip
is that you have to stop thinking about drawing (lines, shapes etc.) and
start thinking creatively about geometry, components, groups
and how the tools can be combined in magical ways to draw what you need. :enlight: :D
When you have some spare time, pick some questions on the forum on how
something was done and you'll further speed up filling your bag of tricks.

vjekobalas 

Postby peter_shaw » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 am

u can shortcut any function, even plugins. as a gamer, my hand automatically rests on wasd all the time :) so i set up shortcuts that are easy to reach from that: q: make line, w: paintbucket, e: push pull, r: move
spacebar: selection tool, x: xray mode
etc.
one of the best shortcuts for modelling with groups and components is view/component edit/hide rest of model.
the ability to toggle that is just awesome.
peter_shaw 

Postby opal » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 pm

*needs the how to set up shortcuts instructions*

ETA.. ^found it^ nm

btw.. loving that icon picture of yours Peter.. can't stop looking and smiling
opal 

Postby dukejazz » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:40 am

Tip_dj no 1
This is my best tip all year of 2011
by dukejazz on Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:52 am

When sketchup starts up it doesn't see any hidden ruby files

(note: With windows explorer toolbar, Tools-folder options-view-show the hidden files = on)

You can hide what you don't need to load, and unhide the require ones that you do.

Later with Jim ruby toolbar you can load the hidden ones.
That's because your telling the script loader about the name, type and location of ea. plug-ins to load...

thus no need to double buffering of plug-ins in folders by loaders.

Also the plug-ins are in the folder that are meant to be in.
:ecstatic: win win!

Jim
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?t=1542
Ruby Toolbar
pic_0051.jpg

Download here
http://sketchuptips.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... olbar.html
Last edited by dukejazz on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
dukejazz 

Postby android no. 12 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:04 pm

everything has thickness - walls, glass panes, even paper when you make a face on sketchup, it is only a 2D shape which cannot exist in real life. make sure you give every object a thickness

start on components early. groups will prevent you from getting in a mess if you want to seperate 2 objects, and will enable you to select whole objects easily. components do the same, but you can copy a component around, and if you edit one all the others can change.

when drawing shapes, you will often benefit from typing in the desired length. this will help you keep track of things and have regularity in your model. also don't use sill lengths like 147.43528m unless necessary

Components window will allow you to keep track of all components in your model, and see which ones are in the file but not in the model. you can then delete those to speed things up. same with materials. if you use one once, it remains in the file, even if you remove it from the model

soften edges to hide a line, and this will also try to smoothen the face. go to view>hidden geometry to see all lines you have hidden. a curve is actually a series of straight lines, and extruding a curve will make lots of lines.

For accurate selection, you may want to use the views toolbar, and parallel projection

android no. 12 

Postby kingsi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:12 am

Hello Everyone

I am very new to this Sketchup world, but I have 2 tips narrowed down from 2000.

1. Make sure you have a very clear idea of what you want to achieve with a drawing. Have the Endgame in mind at all times. Don't do a me and get distracted by overcomplicating a drawing. If you are designing something archtiectural that exists in the real world make damn certain you have decent photos to work from, from the start. Its really annoying having to go back to take more, not to mention photomatching at the end of a design is just downright depressing lol.

2. Learn the Lingo. As with any new piece of software what you think some operation, action or effect should be called and what it is really called and what other people call it are often different things. I forget how many times I have rumaged about youtube, typing in all sorts of keywords to only stumble upon what I wanted to learn by accident way after the fact. From what I can tell, everything I want to do with sketchup is possible, it is only me that does not know how to do it and importantly what its bloody called.
kingsi 

Postby rami_lpm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:34 pm

If you took time to arrange your toolbars, use 'View/Toolbars/Save Toolbar Positions'.
You never know when sketchup will stumble and ruin your workspace.
rami_lpm 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby dark phoenix » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:39 am

Ross Macintosh wrote:Tip: Orbit, Pan & Zoom using the middle mouse button / scroll wheel.

middle mouse button to orbit
    middle mouse button + shift to pan
    and the scroll wheel to zoom

The tool buttons for orbiting, panning and zooming almost never need to be used.

I had been using this program for about a week, and JUST found out this tip when you mentioned it! AWESOME! Thank you!

dark phoenix 

Postby dark phoenix » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:42 am

HFM wrote:My tip:

While selecting different kind of materials for your model to try out looks, don't forget to delete them afterward since SketchUp will remember every single material you've selected, clogging op your model's file size in the process.

Thank you! I was just adding layer after layer, not deleting the old materials. That must be why the program lagged really bad after a while.

dark phoenix 

Postby Hussel Hann » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:52 am

rami_lpm wrote:If you took time to arrange your toolbars, use 'View/Toolbars/Save Toolbar Positions'.
You never know when sketchup will stumble and ruin your workspace.

i am so agree with u...
my toolbar often go haywire during rendering... :shock:

Hussel Hann 

Postby Earle » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:41 am

I have found that no matter how much I think I have learned in SU, I will always have more to learn. If SU is important in your work flow then decide to research here and everywhere to see what will help you work better. Decide to spend some "many" hours to practice - research- and create. It is mindblowing to see what people are doing with this and many kudos to those who are creating plugins that make our life "that much easier". I am inspired and amazed by these creative folks.- Thanks for your work Mates.-And Always Make Components :-)

Earle 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Forum