What's your beginners tip?

The ideal place for beginners to get help using SketchUp

Re: What's your beginners tip?

Postby aadbuild » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:32 am

1. do these tutorials http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/gsu7/videos.html
2.get a 3 button mouse
3.ctrl Z will undo last action
4.stay away from the move tool (like an X with arrows on the endes)to start with.
5. print the keyboard short cuts and put them in a place you can see until you get used to them
6.get the book "Sketchup for dummies" big help.
7. learn about components Short cut is "G"
Happy sketchuping.
Every building designed can be affordable & buildable, to help we built PlusSpec; VDC & BIM for Sketchup

https://www.plusspec.com
aadbuild 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Rafa » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:34 am

I'm a complete begginner, so here is my tip. :mrgreen:
Sooner or later you will be using some plugins or ruby scripts.
Try one at a time, know what it does, and if it works for you, save a copy in an ordered folder.
You can always re-install the main aplication, but find again a usefull plugin may take time.

Rafa 

Postby honoluludesktop » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:52 am

I too am still a beginner, but have come to understand that its not always necessary to look for a plugin to do what you want. Often there are ways to do things by SU commands that are not obvious to us beginners. "Move" not only moves, but copies, creates arrays, rotates, etc. So my tip is, at first as a beginner, try hard to find a way to do it without a plugin, because that forces you to understand the program better.

Also read this page everytime a tip is posted:-)
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby Anssi » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:05 pm

honoluludesktop wrote:its not always necessary to look for a plugin to do what you want. Often there are ways to do things by SU commands that are not obvious to us beginners. "Move" not only moves, but copies, creates arrays, rotates, etc. So my tip is, at first as a beginner, try hard to find a way to do it without a plugin, because that forces you to understand the program better.

And tho learn these tricks, look at Johnny Lemire's cool tutorials (many of them to be found in these pages, in .SKP format), even if you think you know how to do what the tut is about. They still make my jaw drop.

Anssi
securi adversus homines, securi adversus deos rem difficillimam adsecuti sunt, ut illis ne voto quidem opus esset
Anssi 

Postby Gaieus » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:59 pm

Indeed. Jean (Johnny) performs these tuts in a way you will always understand why and how SU (or in fact, YOU) is/are doing things like they can be done in a certain way.

Native SU - native learners of it...
Gaieus 

Postby bmscmoreira » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:05 pm

Well, here is my tip (hope someone hasn't said this yet, if so... its never enough to repeat)
Since Sketchup works with front and back faces (a plane has both) be sure that front faces are always facing you and the camera. Having a mixture of front/back faces makes applying materials harder in Sketchup and a lot of other problems when, later on, you will export sketchup scenes to be rendered in an external renderer software.
By default, back faces display in a blue/gray shade which sometimes is confusing with the front faces (which display white). So, I always work with red back-faces: the switch can be done in the styles/edit panel of Sketchup.

tip.jpg

bmscmoreira 

Postby boofredlay » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:55 am

If this was mentioned before sorry. However, here is something I use all the time. Use the X, Y & Z axis to create construction lines with the Tape Measure tool :tape: . There is no need to have a face already drawn.
boofredlay 
Global Moderator

Postby Scrub,Burn,Repeat » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:55 am

use the shift key, early and often.

08-Feb-2010 edit: avoid using mouse to select "hide" from context-click menu. every once in a while the mouse will mistakenly click "erase", and the result will appear the same as if mouse had clicked "hide". Unfortunately, much later (even later after a few unhide-all's) you will wonder to where some parts have disappeared.
Last edited by Scrub,Burn,Repeat on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scrub,Burn,Repeat 

Postby kambing300 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:32 am

DON'T bring your old CAD preconceptions to SketchUp! Groups, components, guides, and accuracy are just fine, but FIRST, discover what's DIFFERENT about SU: the 'sticky' geometry! Get comfortable with 'Move' and 'toggle autofold'; these two tools are all you need to create amazing objects from elementary geometry. Forget everything you know about CAD and discover what is possible! Have fun!

kambing300 

Postby pmolson » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:27 pm

First open beer, then open sketchup!

pmo
pmolson 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pmolson » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:02 pm

Beginners of an appropriate age of course.
pmolson 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby flyashy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:07 am

Remember that once you've changed the arc/circle segment resolution ( by typing the number of segments in the mesurements window while drawing them i.e. 100s instead of 24s etc) it remains that way until you change it again.

For example let's say you're drawing a 50' Dia. Circle it'll be all right to type in a large number of segments, but then it'll stay at that number for any new circles you draw. so you might end up drawing 200 segment circles for a 3" dia Pipe component and your model will just collapse under all the weight of edges!

The easier way to have finer segmented curves is to change the resolution afterwards from the entity info window.

flyashy 

Postby majid » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:11 pm

set your units first
pay careful attention to "OPTIONS" while importing/exporting.
be skillful on selection methods.(usinf context meno, shift , Ctrl,...)
make group/components (depending on your aim) to avoid "gluing" all objects to each other.
while you have even 2 repetitive object, start using components instead of doing repetitive jobs.
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby halane34 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:20 am

Como todavía soy un principiante, toma esto por lo que vale la pena. La mejor ayuda para mí fue la serie de Aidan Chopra de videos en YouTube. Ahora también tienen la guía complementaria .. "de SketchUp para Dummies". Está muy claro que habla y fácil de entender y tiene un montón de buenas sugerencias. Es perfecto para un novato de gráficos 3D como yo!
Espero que esto ayude!

halane34 

Postby KXI System » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:27 am

halane34 wrote:Como todavía soy un principiante, toma esto por lo que vale la pena. La mejor ayuda para mí fue la serie de Aidan Chopra de videos en YouTube. Ahora también tienen la guía complementaria .. "de SketchUp para Dummies". Está muy claro que habla y fácil de entender y tiene un montón de buenas sugerencias. Es perfecto para un novato de gráficos 3D como yo!
Espero que esto ayude!

Translation:
As I'm still a beginner, take this for what it's worth. The best help for me was the number of Aidan Chopra videos on YouTube. Now also have the companion guide .. SketchUp for Dummies ". It's very clear and easy to understand speech and has lots of good suggestions. It's perfect for beginners to 3D graphics as I do hope this helps!

SO true!
Getting the perfect sig is hard...

Google it!

KXI System 

Postby Mensa » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:38 am

These tips helped greatly, thanks!

Mensa 

Postby mm5949 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:13 pm

It took me a while, but I finally learned the "Intersect with Model" tool. This is a good (only?) way to make accurate mortise and tenons for woodworking. It's explained on page 222 of the (downloadable...887 pages!) SU User's Guide which I downloaded from the official SU website (at http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/ ... wer=116174). It is a powerful tool. :enlight:

mm5949 

Postby vindemiatrix » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:55 pm

hello everyone and all the french community in the world ^^ my tips for beginners it's to learn with the video on youtube cut your screen in two , one youtube one sketchup and practice on one things everyday first the basics with sketchup4school but they are american so it's hard to undrestand because of there texas accent eating bublle gum ^^

and go far , found "good" technical tuto is quite difficult like how using the light in vray or how smooth or connect the edge but there is !!!
like "andeciuala" he speak a undertandle englih speak slowly i think he was indian cool people and explain very well and so technic amazing i use a plugin for firefox to save this tuto it's download helper a free plugin that's all .
i design for jewellery in france .
win 7 64bit , 8go ,nvidia 320gt,intel i3 5300 with two screen perfect for sketchup 22" & 21"

vindemiatrix 

Postby chrisjk » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:20 am

mm5949 wrote:It took me a while, but I finally learned the "Intersect with Model" tool. This is a good (only?) way to make accurate mortise and tenons for woodworking. It's explained on page 222 of the (downloadable...887 pages!) SU User's Guide which I downloaded from the official SU website (at http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/ ... wer=116174). It is a powerful tool. :enlight:

To save the palaver of deleting a lot of unwanted geometry after using an intersect operation, I find Bool Tools from Smustard indispensable.
Chris

chrisjk 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby bob-designer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:02 am

Never draw anything twice. Never draw anything twice. In my cad days it was Blocks.
In SU, make it a component. My tip, Bob

bob-designer 

Postby jessemorton24 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 am

CONVERT INTERSECTION CONTOUR LINES TO UNIFORM B SPLINES FROM FREDO's PLUGIN!!! THEN EXTRUDE BY RAILS!!!! FROM TIG's PLUGGINS!!! ANYTIME YOU INTERSECT TO FACES TO CREATE A CONTOUR LINE FOR COMMAND EXTRUDE PROFILE AND RAILS!!.. AND DO IT AT 100!!!! SO IT IS SOFT AS A BABY'S BOBO!! :berserk:
Parkways, Driveways, Gateways, Pathways...

jessemorton24 

Postby mitcorb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:38 am

It may have been said several times in this topic:
Go through all of the 9 or so pages in this thread.
Then look up the Duh/Doh thread. There "may" be some gems there, too.
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby ~GoldenFrog®~ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:46 pm

pmolson wrote:Beginners of an appropriate age of course.
Awww...really? :roflmao:
Remember, great minds think alike, and fools never differ.

~GoldenFrog®~ 

Postby leedeetee » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:52 pm

I've no idea if this has been covered before but one think I have just discovered (embarassing!) is the fact that when moving/rotating groups or components, rather than having to use the rotate tool (which can be tricky if the object hasn't a flat face, e.g a person or a tree) you can just use the move function and rotate with the little red crosses that appear on the faces.

I know this is probably old news but it saved me a load of time/heartache. :oops:

moverotate.png
Last edited by Gaieus on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added an image to better describe.
leedeetee 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby iiian2009 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:35 pm

As a beginner myself, I don’t feel that I am really qualified to give tips, but … I have found that learning to use layers properly has helped me enormously. By turning on and off layers, you can access and see parts of your model that would otherwise be very difficult to work on. Imagine if you could do this in real life - you would be able to scratch your feet without taking your shoes and socks off! Bliss! :berserk:

iiian2009 

Postby Gaieus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:02 pm

iiian2009 wrote:As a beginner myself, I don’t feel that I am really qualified to give tips...

This is not true. There is nothing more important in the learning process than these "enlightenment" moments and sharing them with other beginners can bring seemingly basic but not necessarily obvious things (more experienced users may not even think about) to their attention.

Now as for your "discoveries"; if you turn some layers off and make a scene (View > animation > add scene - or when you already have one, just rightclickon the tab and "add..." or add one from the scene manager - see below) then turn them on again and make another scene, next time you do not even have to go and turn them on - just click on the scene tab and the parts "vanish".

Best is to open your scene manager (Window menu) and uncheck the "camera location" and "Include animation" when you only use the scenes for working. Don't forget to refresh the scenes if you make any changes in existing ones.
Gaieus 

Postby gabwil » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:14 pm

maybe the wrong place for this question...

Is there one place to see all available plugins?

I find posts about the ones I want but have a hard time finding the actual file for download. I am looking for: line_normals

gabwil

gabwil 

Postby Gaieus » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:41 am

Hi Gabwil,

Here is an extension index where you can find most of the plugins ever published and here is a list of plugins published on these forums (some are not listed in the index above). The actual plugins are generally attached to the bottom of the very first post (by the author) in each topic.
Gaieus 

Postby xrok1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:46 pm

and the #1 beginner tip is.... post a picture (even 2d or hand drawn!) of what your trying to acheive with your question!!!!! :twisted:
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

xrok1 

Postby gonegoing » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Learn keyboard shortcuts. It really speeds things up
Another one: When you export an image do so at about 3000 pixels. Then reduce image size in Photoshop to smooth the lines.

gonegoing 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Forum