Opt in/opt out/ignore

Opt in/opt out/ignore

Postby Box » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:10 am

Just wondering if it would be possible to have an Opt out function or even an Ignore thread button.
We have the ability to Opt in to special interest groups but it would be handy to be able to drop some of the others from the new posts list. For example the Developers forum, I often read the posts and a few times have answered without realising it was a code question and I know nothing about that side of SU and should keep well away.
And we can subscribe to a topic, but could it be possible to Ignore a topic, there are some threads I will never read that keep bumping to the top of the new posts list, it would be nice to be able to filter them out.

Just an idea to file away for one of those long lazy days when you're looking for something to do.
Box 

Re: Opt in/opt out/ignore

Postby Box » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:41 pm

Oh for the love of Beelzebub or god or whoever, please give us the ability to not have to see threads we feel are inane!

I must admit my original reference to the developer forum was a ruse, it is certain threads in the 3d printing forum that I have an issue with.
Box 

Postby ntxdave » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:15 pm

Box wrote:Oh for the love of Beelzebub or god or whoever, please give us the ability to not have to see threads we feel are inane!

I must admit my original reference to the developer forum was a ruse, it is certain threads in the 3d printing forum that I have an issue with.

+1 Not necessarily the 3D printing thread (which I am sure is very valuable to people who are doing 3D printing) but I look at the New Posts multiple times per day and there are some threads I just want to skip over. I agree with Box's suggestion.
ntxdave 

Postby rv1974 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:22 am

+1
Please enable thread and user ignoring!
It's not humanly to see 'Any smokers here? Wanna quit?' for 4 years. In addition, some members
just clinical cases of inutility (IMHO of course)

rv1974 

Postby Rich O Brien » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:45 am

Sorry I missed this thread.

It's not part of phpBB settings. There is a Mod that enables Muting threads but it has not been developed in years and could break something if installed.

We could make more of the forums part of user groups so you need to add them to your profile to see them and partake.
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Box » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Rich O Brien wrote:We could make more of the forums part of user groups so you need to add them to your profile to see them and partake.

No, that would make it even more difficult.
It's more about opting out of very specific stuff rather than broadly ignoring/choosing whole areas.
In another forum you can select an individual thread and never see it again, or whole catagories.......

But it's ok now, I just use whiteout on my screen to cover the stuff I don't want to see.
Box 

Postby Rich O Brien » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:36 pm

We are trying to source an alternative forum software for this year. But migrating everything over will be a huge undertaking.

Either that or we archive this and start again from zero.
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby andybot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:51 pm

Rich O Brien wrote:Either that or we archive this and start again from zero.

Hmmm, now that there's the d'oh book out, starting from zero sounds viable to me :)

+1 to Box's comments.
my blog featuring recent projects
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Ideas Box & Board Issues