Move Animations Between Files?

General discussion about Animator for SketchUp

Move Animations Between Files?

Postby greenfrog5x5 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:24 pm

Is there a way to copy objects+animation from one SketchUp file into another file?

Thanks

greenfrog5x5 

Re: Move Animations Between Files?

Postby fredo6 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:28 pm

Not Really.

All data for the animation is stored within the model and objects (as attributes).

So a Save-As or Save-Copy-As will keep the data, but there is no way to transfer the animation data between files. The reason is that all the references (i.e. entity ID) would be different.

Is there a particular situation where such a data transfer would make sense?
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: Move Animations Between Files?

Postby greenfrog5x5 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:05 pm

Thank you for the quick response.

I am working on a large/complex animation with several other people. It would be useful to build portions of the larger animation in separate files (by separate people) and then bring them together into the final model to complete the animation.

Another situation would be if you had previously done an animation (or two separate animations, in separate SU models). Then you want to combine these (reuse them) in a new file to add additional animation.

I could imagine copy/paste the model objects, then an 'export/import' animation data to bring the associated animation data into the new model file. I understand there are technical challenges in maintaining the object associations, and other limitations of Sketchup.

Your plugin is amazing, thank you so much for the hard work and support.

greenfrog5x5 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Animator Beta