Ask a developer!

General discussion about Kubity for SketchUp

Moderators: nikusknx, rebecamoreno, romaing

Ask a developer!

Postby romaing » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:59 am

Got a question? Ask a developer!
Kubity developers are here to answer your questions. We love to read your feedback and suggestions and we’ll get back to each of you in no time.

romaing 
Kubity Support
Kubity Support

Re: Ask a developer!

Postby jure » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:10 pm

Awesome app guys!

I was wondering what is on your road map? Do you plan to support joystick so we can move around freely.

jure 

Postby romaing » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:54 pm

jure wrote:I was wondering what is on your road map? Do you plan to support joystick so we can move around freely

Thank you! We're not ready to communicate precisely about it but we will launch a big update this summer with lots of improvements: better user experience, bigger models, lighting & shadow settings, easier to navigate in VR, etc.
About the joystick support, it is not sure yet for the next update but it's something we want in your hands this year.
Later this fall, we will give the ability to protect the converted models with a password, define an expiration date, etc.

Your feedback is very important so feel free to give us any ideas or suggestions!

romaing 
Kubity Support
Kubity Support

Postby measuredmove » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:37 pm

All of the above sounds really great.
Would another possibility be to be able to delete/replace a submission if the original has been revised.
Thanks

measuredmove 

Postby Pixero » Thu May 12, 2016 10:48 am

Just bought a cardbox yesterday and it's great fun to use Kubity with it.
Is there a way to currently move in the models?
Clicking on the magnet ring doesn't seem to work.
Pixero 

Postby romaing » Fri May 13, 2016 2:07 pm

Pixero wrote:Just bought a cardbox yesterday and it's great fun to use Kubity with it.
Is there a way to currently move in the models?
Clicking on the magnet ring doesn't seem to work.

Right now we support only Carboard V2 and open Cardboard like the homido mini http://www.amazon.com/Homido-Virtual-Reality-Glasses-Smartphone/dp/B019D9F2XSor goggles c1
https://store.google.com/product/goggletech_c1_glass.
You just have to tap the screen or use the button to step forward (no collision, no gravity).

In our next release you'll have more powers, like teleportation :)

romaing 
Kubity Support
Kubity Support

Postby Pixero » Fri May 13, 2016 5:30 pm

I have some third party cardboard box with a magnetic ring button on the side. Nothing happens when clicking it though.
When tapping a finger on the phone through the "nose" hole I was able to move forward but I had to remove the glasses so not a good solution.
Do you have a timeframe for the next version?
Early or late summer?
Will the button on my glasses work for teleportation in the next version? (It works with other VR apps.)
I've seen another app that also had these buttons below you that you could point at to start and stop walking.
Pixero 

Postby matt.gordon320 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Loving the app thus far guys!

I do have a question. Do you have any plans in support scenes as set up in SketchUp at any point? I'm planning to move our firm from using 3D PDF to Kubity, and that's the only thing holding us back. Some of the time clients have a really tough time navigating where they want to, or more often, can't be bothered to learn how to.

Thanks!

matt.gordon320 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby romaing » Sat May 14, 2016 3:12 pm

matt.gordon320 wrote:I do have a question. Do you have any plans in support scenes as set up in SketchUp at any point?
Thanks!

Yes, it's something you'll have in a few weeks!

romaing 
Kubity Support
Kubity Support

Postby facer » Sat May 21, 2016 3:08 am

Great program with lots of potential.

At present the choice is between SketchFab and Kubity.
Learning programs is costly in regards: time ($$), emotional
and intellectual investment.

I hoping you will be the "winners" for the Architectural market.

In regards Kubity could you outline and or answer where possible:

1. What is the limit on the number of uploads of models for a user?

2. Is there a model size limit? eg 50MB

3. What will be the cost plan ($) for your Pro version
or do you have another method of generating income?

Improvements that could be useful:
1. Link to SketchUp scenes (as you discussed)
2. Location view points such as view from Kitchen, Living etc.
3. Annotation notes?
4. Natural Lighting for different times
5. Artificial Lighting
6. Material changes
7. Sectional views
etc. etc. :)

Link to other file formats.
What is the 3dm file format. Is 3ds on the cards or is going to be considered?
Would be great if the following CAD users could just drop their files in to
the Kubity site to view their models.
1. Chief Architect (my crowd)
2. ArchiCad

Keep up the good work and all the best!
facer 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby romaing » Sun May 22, 2016 6:02 pm

facer wrote:Great program with lots of potential.

Thank you for your feedback and support!

We will precise our product in a few weeks but what's important to understand is we do not see it as a platform but more like a "file-format" and the toolbox that goes with it, even if it is more subtle.

We want to solve the issues all 3D architects & designers have when it's about to communicate around/about their 3D models.
Our users do not want to share their actual 3d files because hundreds of reasons : too complex, too heavy, needs of specific software and the skills needed to use it, intellectual property, confidentiality, etc.

Our solution allows/will allow to convert any 3d model in a read-only/secure form that is simple/free to visualize by anyone, everywhere.

So to answer your questions:

1. We do not want to set a limit per user. You'll be able to convert the number of files you want. No limit!

2. Right now, there is a limit, 1Gb but all the models are automatically optimized to fit on the web and and on iPhone/iPad and Android smartphones and tablets the actual limit is more the time it takes to do this optimisation. Today it is 30 minutes. We will improve these algorithms and our aim is to support any size of files. So, no limit, we hope!

3. Yes, there will be a paid offer.
We're working on it, we want it to be fair and affordable. It will come with some new features and changes in the product. Stay tuned :)
And there will always be a free offer.

We want to support all 3d files, so yes, Chief Architect and ArchiCad are in our roadmap.
Today, right now, you can already drop a zip with an .obj, .3ds, .fbx along with the texture files. But it's experimental.
For now, we support officially Rhino (.3dm), Revit and of course SketchUp.

romaing 
Kubity Support
Kubity Support

Postby facer » Mon May 23, 2016 2:48 am

Thank you for your quick response to my questions.

Your answers supports my interpretation (guess) that you
are focusing on the architectural market in regards offering
a service that at present is not fully available using SketchFab.

I would encourage you to put "Chief Architect" at the top of the list
as a supported file. Apart from my own selfish reasons [:)] I think
you will find a quick take up from a well established niche software
package.

Check out Chief Architects new 3d Viewer to be released in June
for an example of good navigation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKfyql ... e=youtu.be

I found that with the the "little man - gravity?" icon you can not
transition from outside into inside, and if their is an object in front
it will bump into that requiring a "restart"
( your quote: There is a way to walk inside in 1st-person mode with gravity and feet on the ground. )

Are there any help files or manuals on how to Navigate. I have been learning by "trial and error"
which must be frustrating for first time users.

Regards
facer 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby romaing » Mon May 23, 2016 3:04 pm

facer wrote:I would encourage you to put "Chief Architect" at the top of the list
as a supported file. Apart from my own selfish reasons [:)] I think
you will find a quick take up from a well established niche software
package.

The priority is to have the best experience for our SketchUp users which are numerous.
Of course other communities of CAD users are on our list and "Chief Architect" seems interesting.

romaing 
Kubity Support
Kubity Support

Postby Kuu » Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 pm

I haven't tried Kubity yet, since I've only recently decided to get my hands on a cardboard-like HMD, and reading about various available walkthrough softwares I'm wondering why hasn't anybody made a plugin so that we can *create* in VR, not just visualize the end result? Like a plugin that outputs a real-time stereoscopic version of what's on your computer's sketchup session and beam that through bluetooth/wifi to a mobile receiver app? That is, not viewing an exported .skp file, but sketchup itself in VR! I think this would be huge. If designers already have the VR HMDs, of course they would love to do their 3d work... in 3d!

Are you guys planning on doing something like this, or would be interested?

If there's real time radiosity engines I don't see why we can't just have the plain sketchup view duplicated with a tiny lateral offset... (I have never understood why Sketchup has never had split-screen multiple views like most any other 3d software...)

Kuu 

Postby romaing » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:50 am

Kuu wrote:I haven't tried Kubity yet, since I've only recently decided to get my hands on a cardboard-like HMD, and reading about various available walkthrough softwares I'm wondering why hasn't anybody made a plugin so that we can *create* in VR, not just visualize the end result? Like a plugin that outputs a real-time stereoscopic version of what's on your computer's sketchup session and beam that through bluetooth/wifi to a mobile receiver app? That is, not viewing an exported .skp file, but sketchup itself in VR! I think this would be huge. If designers already have the VR HMDs, of course they would love to do their 3d work... in 3d!

Are you guys planning on doing something like this, or would be interested?

If there's real time radiosity engines I don't see why we can't just have the plain sketchup view duplicated with a tiny lateral offset... (I have never understood why Sketchup has never had split-screen multiple views like most any other 3d software...)

Designing directly in VR is something everyone is thinking about but there is a lot of problem to solve concerning comfort, health, performance, controls, etc.
Kubity is more about sharing a read-only version of an iteration to get feedback, suggestions and to make better decisions.
And VR is an awesome way to visualize and feel the space.

romaing 
Kubity Support
Kubity Support

Postby Kuu » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:33 am

I guess we're gonna have to wait if Trimble ever adds VR support to sketchup then. Or just makes a new VR editor from scratch...

Anyway, so I was trying kubity and it seems to crash on me whenever I try to use first person mode. Shows up the "please wait, calibrating screen" and then crashes after a few seconds. This is on iOS 9.3.2.

The navigation is fine for touch controls, but the VR mode is unusable with the click to jump! Wouldn't it be easier to click and hold to glide forward, and release to stop?

And support for scenes, layers and better shading would be nice.

Kuu 

Postby romaing » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:00 pm

Kuu wrote:I guess we're gonna have to wait if Trimble ever adds VR support to sketchup then. Or just makes a new VR editor from scratch...

We'll see if it's a good idea, it's maybe not comfortable, not easy and maybe not healthy to stay hours in VR.
I guess that mixed reality is more adapted, Trimble is working on something with Microsoft around Hololens, sounds interesting.

romaing 
Kubity Support
Kubity Support

Postby Gubermensch » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:34 pm

Will layer toggling be supported?

I suppose a simple workaround would be uploading the same model numerous times with different layer arrangements.
Gubermensch 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby romaing » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Gubermensch wrote:Will layer toggling be supported?

I suppose a simple workaround would be uploading the same model numerous times with different layer arrangements.

Scenes/Point of views will be supported on mobile in a few days, then in a few weeks on the web.
We will support layers using scenes, so you'll be able to navigate from scene to scene to see different layer arrangements. It should in your hands before the end of next month.

romaing 
Kubity Support
Kubity Support

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Kubity