CatchUp - Model of industrial machinery

Share your SketchUp models, materials and styles

CatchUp - Model of industrial machinery

Postby SchreiberBike » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:08 pm

This is a G1015 Knife Belt Sander by Grizzly Industrial. I originally planned on making a simple model to use in shop planning, but I was having so much fun I couldn't stop. (It's a sickness - I know.)

I worked very hard at keeping the file size down. Almost all of the cylindrical objects are components made from the same set of four quarter cylinder components.

The buffing wheel was especially difficult. It is supposed to be folded muslin. It ended up with white sides and a chain link fence texture on the outside. It kind of looks right, but I'm very open to suggestions.

Download Model Here

SchreiberBike 

Re: CatchUp - Model of industrial machinery

Postby SchreiberBike » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:17 pm

I almost always do a simplified version of a model. That model can be used as an efficient placeholder which maintains the critical dimensions, but is not as detailed.

Download Model Here

SchreiberBike 

Postby solo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:19 pm

Thanks for model, I doubt I will ever need one of these, infact I have never seen one of them before.

I took the liberty to render your model with Podium.
render time: 2 mins 33 seconds, even with reflection of differing value on every face.

Thanks for model, I doubt I will ever need one of these, infact I have never seen one of them before.
My site

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby SchreiberBike » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:19 pm

Wow! :P
Solo, that completely blows me away. Thanks for running that.

I guess I'm going to have to spend some more time learning to render. Thanks for putting the label on, that really helps. The buffing wheel is incredible. You hit it just right, completely non-reflective, folded like that, etc. Did you draw that up yourself - how did you do that?

Thanks again.

SchreiberBike 

Postby solo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:21 pm

SchreiberBike

Thanks, the bufferwheel is a texture and I also added some geometry for the folds. I gave the wheel 85% opacity so that the bump texture on the second side (other face) will show through and give more complexity.
My site

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby kwistenbiebel » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:22 pm

Hey ...great light setup solo. :D
The object can use some more smoothing though.

Cool model and great render.

kwistenbiebel 

Postby solo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:24 pm

I tried it with Vue over here:

http://www.sketchucation.com/scf/viewto ... 054#p24054

( I do not like to post two of the same models rendered with different apps next to one another...)
My site

solo 
Global Moderator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Components, Materials & Styles