SubD examples and models

General discussion on SUbD for SketchUp

Re: SubD examples and models

Postby GD3Design » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 pm

Great modeling, use of Subdiv and cartoon render...but just as important, full of character. Love it. :)
GD3Design 

Postby HornOxx » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:11 am

Thanks All ;-) I very much appreciate that you like this little simple "character" fun :D
never trust a skinny cook
HornOxx 

Postby Builder54 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:44 pm

Carpenter Ant

I post my models here because I want illustrate to others who may be interested in Organic modelling that it's quite possible with Sketchup, largely because of the amazing extensions (QuadFace Tools, Vertex Tools 2, and SUbD) that ThomThom developed. The more I work with them the greater appreciation I have. Model on!

The painted low poly model was later edited to improve on the leg detail. You can see in the Substance Painter example below how the legs had lost their definition after subdivision. I later used QuadFace Tools to add loops to maintain shape.

SketchUp_IQMBpS0rDV.png

Substance Painter
Substance_Painter_DPiNKBqSrz.png

SketchUp_CZJkBZ0EaH.png

SketchUp_AW0qL3Bpwm.jpg

SketchUp_w5JvoDFOTv.png

I used the free trial of V Ray and Substance Painter to add some realism. I have not had any prior experience with either so the results are not good, but they do help to add some realism.

V-Ray
SketchUp_zRQM4ByzAD.jpg
"Don't be afraid of working hard. There are No shortcuts to mastering something."

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 

Postby HornOxx » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:10 pm

Klasse! :thumb: Great work again. (I love these SketchUp illustrations even more than the rendered versions)
never trust a skinny cook
HornOxx 

Postby alvis » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:05 pm

A short biology lesson :D . Nice
alvis 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Builder54 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:50 pm

HornOxx wrote:Klasse! :thumb: Great work again. (I love these SketchUp illustrations even more than the rendered versions)

Thank you HornOxx. I tend to agree with you. The thing I like about Substance Painter is being able to stay in 3D. But I know what you mean about the raw modelling illustrations. Cheers
"Don't be afraid of working hard. There are No shortcuts to mastering something."

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 

Postby Builder54 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:43 pm

alvis wrote:A short biology lesson :D . Nice

Too funny :lol: The reference photo helped me to redraw the legs to keep their shape and definition

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 

Postby tuna1957 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 pm

Don’t really like ants. But your ants “bitchin ” ! :thumb:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Builder54 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:02 am

tuna1957 wrote:Don’t really like ants. But your ants “bitchin ” ! :thumb:

A compliment of the highest order hahaha. Thanks tuna1957

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 

Postby Builder54 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:06 am

My favorite Sci-Fi character

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 

Postby tuna1957 » Thu May 20, 2021 1:09 am

Builder54, Great job on a complex character ! :thumb:

Now to return to earth..... as time allows I go back into my early SubD models and try to fix "rookie" mistakes. Reworked one of my first SubD sofas. Lots of mistakes in the first go round :lol: . Second time around looks much better and even lower poly to boot.... :fro:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Builder54 » Thu May 20, 2021 2:18 am

Thanks very much!

tuna1957 wrote:Second time around looks much better and even lower poly to boot.... :fro:

Interesting you mention the lower poly count. I'm becoming increasingly aware that my models have way to many poly's, and the key is to keep it simple and strategic.

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 

Postby ramonbastos » Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:41 pm

Hello! I noticed that when I use SubD, it creates some polygons that are not really necessary, making the file bigger. You can see in the example below:

panela 01.png

Screenshot_53.png

I tried using TT's cleanup, looks like it removes some "random" lines. Of course its not random, but it leaves a lot of lines that I can erase and keep the same geometry.

Any tips on how to optimize it?

ramonbastos 

Postby GD3Design » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:40 pm

See if 'Fixit 101' will get you where you're going.
GD3Design 

Postby cotty » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:48 am

ramonbastos wrote:Hello! I noticed that when I use SubD, it creates some polygons that are not really necessary, making the file bigger.

It's propably because of the SketchUp (inofficial) quad definition:
"two triangles share an edge which is soft and smooth - with Cast Shadows turned off"
[https://evilsoftwareempire.com/subd/quads]
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby nlipovac » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:52 am

ramonbastos wrote:Hello! I noticed that when I use SubD, it creates some polygons that are not really necessary, making the file bigger. You can see in the example below:

panela 01.png

Screenshot_53.png

I tried using TT's cleanup, looks like it removes some "random" lines. Of course its not random, but it leaves a lot of lines that I can erase and keep the same geometry.

I think this is the way Open SubDiv works, it subdivides polygons and does not care if they are coplanar after subdivision.
If you use the Cleanup plugin after you are done with subdivision then you are actually doing decimation of that model by removing edges from coplanar polygons.
Where you can get in trouble after you do Cleanup is texturing where there could be some distorted texture on those polygons.

nlipovac 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Builder54 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:32 pm

ramonbastos wrote:

You could try tweaking with Vertex Tools Merging Close Vertices. It's demonstrated in this video

https://youtu.be/yOfMsr_-mtk

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 

Postby ramonbastos » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:14 pm

GD3Design wrote:See if 'Fixit 101' will get you where you're going.

Thanks! Great plugin by the way. It worked better than cleanup, but still left some coplanar edges, and looks random too, that will give me trouble when texturing. (See attachment)

Builder54 wrote:
ramonbastos wrote:

You could try tweaking with Vertex Tools Merging Close Vertices. It's demonstrated in this video

https://youtu.be/yOfMsr_-mtk

Unfortunately didn't work, some edges that I did not want to merge, got merged.

ramonbastos 

Postby Builder54 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:35 am

On a hot summer's night you may hear the buzzing sound produced by a cicada.

Cicadas Brood X 2021

Sketchup Pro 2017
QuadFace Tools, Vertex tools, SUbD

CicadaLowPoly1.png

CicadaSUbDPoly.png

SketchUp_dRZZv8DcwT.png

Robh Ruppel

Builder54 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Previous

Return to SUbD