How to properly Purge unused source blocks?

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

How to properly Purge unused source blocks?

Postby kevo » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:27 pm

I'm new to skatter, but have been getting good results so far.
I have a skp file where I initially brought in a load of files/proxies to use as skatter objects.
My various 'skatters' are render only, and I only used a small-ish selection of the initial components I brought in to the file - but it's difficult/laborious to narrow down which ones I've used.

I thought I could just delete all the source components and then purge my sketchup file and skatter would 'remember' the blocks for the render output. But this isn't the case, if I purge the skattered blocks vanish.

Is there anything I can do in my existing file, beside going through one by one?

For future models, what would be a better workflow? Should I be adding all my potential components to the skatter library, or something?

Thanks!

kevo 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: How to properly Purge unused source blocks?

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:34 pm

I'm afraid there isn't a simple solution to purge only the components not used by Skatter.

The best is to keep a copy of the objects somewhere in the model (they can be hidden if needed), so that they won't get purged.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby kevo » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:51 pm

No problem. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something.

I haven't tried this yet, but I think if I duplicate my render only skatters, and create a small sample of the blocks (with render only turned off) somewhere off camera, then do the purge. It should get me somewhere close.

Can you edit generated skatters that were created with render turned off, or are they delete and recreate?

kevo 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:27 pm

kevo wrote:I haven't tried this yet, but I think if I duplicate my render only skatters, and create a small sample of the blocks (with render only turned off) somewhere off camera, then do the purge. It should get me somewhere close.

Excellent idea!

kevo wrote:Can you edit generated skatters that were created with render turned off, or are they delete and recreate?

Yes you can, just right-click on the group, then "Edit Skatter group"
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter