[READ FIRST] What's Skatter? How to use it?

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[READ FIRST] What's Skatter? How to use it?

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi guys!

Here is a my new plugin: Skatter.

Basically, it allows you to scatter groups/components in large numbers across surfaces.
The primary target is vegetation for rendering, but it can be used for anything you want.

Skatter won't be free. So do not redistribute the plugin anywhere else. If I happen to find out there was a leak, I'll have no choice but terminate the alpha/beta program. But I'm sure there will be no problem :D
Besides that, you are encouraged to talk about it, and show pictures of it and what you create with it.
If you help me during the alpha/beta, you'll have a big discount or a free pro license.

Here is a preview video of an earlier version.

Usage:

EDIT : There's a draft of the manual here : http://help.getskatter.com/

Skatter can only work with groups and components. Surfaces, areas and scattered objects have to be grouped.

There are two modes: Normal and Render only.

- Normal is the default. It will create component instances in the model. Nothing fancy, this is usual Sketchup geometry. To later edit it, right click on the parent group created by Skatter and click on "Edit Skatter group"

- Render only is activated by ticking the "Render only" checkbox at the top. When this is activated, nothing will be created in the model, but the information will be handed to the render engines (only Vray, Thea and Kerkythea, for now). Since nothing is created in the model with the render mode, if you want to edit the Skatter groups you made, go to the "Render list" tab.

If you find a bug, please create a new thread with [BUG] in the title.
If you want to request a feature, please create a new thread with [REQ] in the title.
If you have a question, please create a new thread with [Q] in the title.
As a general guideline, create a new thread for every new topic you want to discuss, thanks.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [READ FIRST] What's Skatter? How to use it?

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Bumping this thread to see if those added see post...

Red 5 standing by
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Re: [RELEASE] Beta 0.2.0

Postby JQL » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:46 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:There's a draft of the manual here : http://help.getskatter.com/

Excellent and simple manual.

Love the images! Perfect!

Critics:

1 - Uniform:

I think you're disregarding the uniform distribution as a perfectly capable distribution for creating a lot of stuff like regular or almost regular distributions.

A stone pavement city square is very nicelly done with uniform distribution with very small jitter. I'll provide some examples later if you want...

So, for people to find what they can do you should get the following images:
Uniform without jitter;
Uniform with small Jitter about 25%;
Uniform with 25% Jitter in X axis;
Uniform with 25% Jitter in Y axis;
Uniform with 100% Jitter in both axis;

2 - Random:

Use the random VS uniform image comparison here. I think that image is great and shows clearly the difference and we can really feel that we could use both in different situtations.

3 - Vertices:

I would add:

The Vertices type insert an item on every vertex found in the Surface/Curve. The selected objects will then get randomly distributed on those points.

I know it is implicit information already but I feel it makes a difference as we are talking about single points.

4 - Altitude range:
You're not saying what the value refers to. Percentage of total height? Distance from group origin? Model Units?

Perfect image...

5 - Slope range:

Need an image...

6 - Collisions:

You should clarify this. As the object is a component/proxy, collisions are refering to the bounding box or the actual object?

7 - Areas:

Would need some images...

8 - Clipping

REQUEST: Mirror Clipping. Imagine that we choose clipping but have windows on buildings or other reflecting stuff. Could we think of something that would take reflective objects/materials into account and would calculate clipping from them? Is it impossible or over complicated? Maybe user could point into a group/component/face/surface and say it is reflective, then skatter would use a reflected camera ray to include some objects that, otherwise would be excluded. If we'd define some materials as reflective, Skatter would find them on view and calculate reflections from them. I know... it is really a FR for Skatter 3.0! :lol:

9 - Max in Preview:

REQUEST: Having max preview will reduce skatter density wich is very useful to see. Would it be possible to have a toggle and the preview would be reduced to a fraction of the screen (region preview maybe) wich will reduce max amount of skattered objects but will represent true density?

Again thanks for sharing Skatter with us. Unbelievably excellent work!

Are you pulling all this off alone?
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Joao, thanks a lot for your feedback.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:54 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:Joao, thanks a lot for your feedback.

No problem! Thanks for letting me get involved!
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:44 pm

Here is a draft of the manual. It's only a draft, images will change, more images and content will come.
But feel free to comment. What should be added, said differently, etc.

Thanks

http://help.getskatter.com/
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:26 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:Besides that, you are encouraged to talk about it, and show pictures of it and what you create with it.

Oh bummer. So many times I wanted to explain things to people, say that skatter was real, but I was thought I was bound to some secrecy so I kept my mouth shut...
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Well, you can talk about it all you want. But I'm not responsible if people start to hate you :lol:
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:17 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:Well, you can talk about it all you want. But I'm not responsible if people start to hate you :lol:

Yes you are!
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby juju » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:06 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:There's a draft of the manual here : http://help.getskatter.com/

Any chance the manual will be made available as a single downloadable PDF?
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:10 pm

​The manual is a work in progress, it will change a lot in the next few days/weeks.
​We'll definitely make it available as PDF in a near future, but there's still a lot of work to me done on it.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby dan16198899 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:50 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:​The manual is a work in progress, it will change a lot in the next few days/weeks.
​We'll definitely make it available as PDF in a near future, but there's still a lot of work to me done on it.

It´ll be nice to have those “pop-up windows” next to each option in Skatter with a brief explanation of what it does and what to expect when changing the values, like v-ray or AutoCAD does. Like a built-in manual.

dan16198899 

Postby Oboter » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:27 pm

I just saw, that there are some animations and pics in the online help. That's really helpful!
Some of the pics are displayed as broken links.

Oboter 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter