was told sketchup is bad for 3d printing

Get 3D Printing support, tips and tricks for SketchUp

Moderators: dukejazz, d12dozr

was told sketchup is bad for 3d printing

Postby syburn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi,

Was just talking to the 3d printing workshop and when they did not mention sketchup as a software to use, I asked why and they said it causes a lot of problems. I have not 3d printed anything let, but if I do it woud be with sketchup as thats what I'm more comfortable with.

But is Sketchup problematic for 3d printers? Another person said there is a lot of issues with faces.

Look forward to any feedback you might have.

Regards

Simon
syburn 

Re: was told sketchup is bad for 3d printing

Postby Hieru » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:57 pm

I'd be interested in an answer to this too.

As long as your modelling is watertight and prepared properly for printing, I wouldn't have thought that there would be an issue.

Box seems to get some great results from SUp, so it might just be that this company isn't used to working with good quality SUp models.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kaas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:00 pm

I made a few models for 3d printing (even for a HQ expensive 3d printer) with SketchUp and it works fine. I don't see any problems there.

Maybe the shop ran into people that didn't have much experience and made 'bad' 3d models?!

What kind of models do you intend to 3d print? Why not just try making your model in SketchUp, 3d print and analyze problems if they occur?

kaas 

Postby Hieru » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:27 pm

Let’s face it, if the Warehouse is anything to go by, there are a lot of people making ‘bad’ SUp models.

I’m often sent models by clients and it’s rare that I don’t have to rebuild everything from scratch.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:55 pm

Sketchup has all kinds of users, that's the beauty of it. People who know what they're doing will have good results, people who don't... well, they can always learn how to do it.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Box » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:07 am

Basically anyone saying Sketchup is no good for 3d printing simply hasn't learnt to use Sketchup effectively.

Some other software can be less likely to cause problems because they are solid modellers whereas sketchup is a surface modeller. Solid modellers make everything out of solid lumps, but sketchup needs you to understand how to make a manifold solid.
Box 

Postby Hieru » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:24 am

A nice ‘solid’ confirmation from box ;) .
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby syburn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:07 pm

The guy was expecting me to use Solid works, but as im an Interior Designer its more natural that I come from the Sketchup or 3D Max direction.

I cant say if I am a good modeler though. But I do expect to be creating more curvey free form models when I do to 3D printing, which i dont have any experience in doing actually. Bit scared of leaving my world of boxes behind.

Cheers
syburn 

Postby d12dozr » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:43 am

Box nailed it - I totally agree that anyone who learns how to use Sketchup "properly" with good modeling practices will be just fine. Keep in mind that plugins are virtually a necessity for making great models for 3D printing.

Every CAD program has limitations, Sketchup included. Solid modeling programs can be easier to make a solid model, often providing a warning if the modeling operation will make a non-manifold model. The level of complexity certainly takes some of the "fun" out of the modeling that Sketchup is known for.

I'm a big fan of using the right tool for the job. Sketchup is fantastic for making architectural-type models - no big surprise. Solidworks is great for mechanical engineering models. Blender is good for artistic purposes, and Zbrush for character modeling.

Can any of the programs be used for making other models than what they're best known for? Sure! Half the battle is knowing how to use the program, and great users can perform magic in their tool of choice. However, you're not going to win any character-modeling awards using Solidworks. ;)

Personally I still use Sketchup for some projects, but I've mostly outgrown it for Fusion 360. Parametric modeling is a major time saver when iterating a product, and it's much easier to make complex organic objects.

So now @syburn - the question is, what are you modeling for 3D printing? If the models are similar to what you already use Sketchup for, then you'll be just fine.
3D Printing with SketchUp Book
http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

d12dozr 
Top SketchUcator

Postby syburn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:19 am

I want to explore 3d printing in interiors so i expect I will be looking for freeform and organic forms as conventional construction is alread doing square types of designs very well.

So its more organic, curvy, with patterns on the surface.

Regards
syburn 

Postby cotty » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:07 pm

I've printed a lot of models in 3D and all of them were modeled with SketchUp. Maybe you should have a look at an online printing service instead?
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby d12dozr » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 am

syburn wrote:So its more organic, curvy, with patterns on the surface.

You can use Sketchup with plugins like Curviloft and Subdivide and Smooth for a while, but you will run into limitations pretty quickly, especially with patterns on curved surfaces.

You may want to look into using Rhino then. I believe our resident skate park designer Jeff graduated to Rhino for those kind of shapes. Many architects use Rhino as well. It's more accurate and much easier to use for organic shapes. It is still a surface modeler (vs a solid modeler), so you'll want to keep good modeling practices for 3D printing in mind. It'll be much easier for texture mapping your shapes as well.

Fusion360 could work as well, but I haven't seen many architectural projects made with it.

@cotty, I think he's asking more about modeling, than printing.
3D Printing with SketchUp Book
http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

d12dozr 
Top SketchUcator

Postby pbacot » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:37 pm

How do you use 3d printing in the interior design business?
MacOSX (El Capitan) ShetchUp Pro v16 Layout Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp for 3D Printing